Pool rhymes with Fool

Don_S

Re: Pool rhymes with Fool
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2016, 08:50 pm »
It is surprising how much fine debris the Polaris captures.  The larger, leaf bag also works well after a winter storm.

jtwrace,  What is the model number on the Polaris you have.  I like the 280 because it is more rugged because it is gear-driven instead of belt-driven.

I would miss suppers by the pool and quick dips after mowing or a bike ride. But I hear you on "Some Days!! I just want to scream!!"

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2016, 08:59 pm »
jtwrace,  What is the model number on the Polaris you have.  I like the 280 because it is more rugged because it is gear-driven instead of belt-driven.
Pretty sure it's the Polaris 360.  It's about 6 yrs old now.

BobM

« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2016, 09:06 pm »
Bob,  How do you handle the backwash water?

I live on a preserve, so I just run the hose into the woods and backwash it there. But it's not as bad as you might think in any case. I only backwash once every 3-4 weeks, and it only runs for about 2 minutes, so not a ton of water.

Don_S

« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2016, 09:07 pm »
Pretty sure it's the Polaris 360.  It's about 6 yrs old now.

I just looked up the 360.  The 360 does not require a booster pump.  Is that how you operate yours and how well does it work?  I could be in the market for a replacement since mine is getting old and rebuilding it (bearings, tires, new bag) costs almost as much as buying a new one. And with a new one I get new hoses which will be more flexible than the old ones which get stiff. I won't replace mine until it fails but knowing what I want in advance is always good.

Interesting since operating without a booster pump means it would always be working when the filter is running. Now I run the filter a lot in the summer for solar heat to the pool but don't run the cleaner that long because of booster pump wear and power usage. No booster pump would be a plus if the cleaner works.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2016, 09:10 pm »
I just looked up the 360.  The 360 does not require a booster pump.  Is that how you operate yours and how well does it work?  I could be in the market for a replacement since mine is getting old and rebuilding it (bearings, tires, new bag) costs almost as much as buying a new one. And with a new one I get new hoses which will be more flexible than the old ones which get stiff. I won't replace mine until it fails but knowing what I want in advance is always good.

Interesting since operating without a booster pump means it would always be working when the filter is running. Now I run the filter a lot in the summer for solar heat to the pool but don't run the cleaner that long because of booster pump wear and power usage. No booster pump would be a plus if the cleaner works.
That's correct, no booster pump.  I have a connection in the wall of the pool where Lola is connected.  She's the hardest worker here for sure.  She runs 2 hrs per day and keeps it spotless.  Even during the fall with the leaf bag it's incredible.  I can't even imagine not having one.   :nono:

Don_S

« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2016, 09:30 pm »
That's correct, no booster pump.  I have a connection in the wall of the pool where Lola is connected.  She's the hardest worker here for sure.  She runs 2 hrs per day and keeps it spotless.  Even during the fall with the leaf bag it's incredible.  I can't even imagine not having one.   :nono:

I started reading some user comments and I found a problem.  Running constantly when the filter is on in my pool would fill the bag sometimes and make the cleaner fall over and sit and spin. With a booster pump on a timer I can control Nessie's diet so she doesn't overeat.   Also it seems like the newer build quality is not as good as the old build quality.  At least from the horror stories I am reading on Amazon.

kgturner

« Reply #26 on: 28 May 2016, 10:06 pm »
My Polaris works on pressure, not suction.  Water flow using a booster pump creates a venturi effect and lifts debris into an attached bag.

OK, then the leaf canister won't work for you. I had considered getting a pressure side robot, but instead plunked down the extra coin on a Dolphin Nautilus Plus robot. I've found Scooby cleans better without the pump running as the returns tend to stir up debris a little more. Still have to clean the filters, but it is SO much nicer than manually vacuuming the pool which I did my first two season of pool ownership.

And to piggy back on backwashing....I also just backwash into my backyard. There is a wooded easement back there, but really pool water isn't harsh on the environment. Some people backwash into their yard with no damage at all. My tap water is around 2 ppm chlorine. My pool is usually maintained between 6-7 ppm, but you can get away with as low as 3-4 ppm as long as you're keeping a good eye on everything.

Kevin T

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2016, 12:12 am »
I started reading some user comments and I found a problem.  Running constantly when the filter is on in my pool would fill the bag sometimes and make the cleaner fall over and sit and spin. With a booster pump on a timer I can control Nessie's diet so she doesn't overeat.   Also it seems like the newer build quality is not as good as the old build quality.  At least from the horror stories I am reading on Amazon.
It runs while my filter pump is running and I have no issues.  Even in the fall.  Empty the bag once per day and it's good as the skimmer needs it too.

randytsuch

« Reply #28 on: 8 Jun 2016, 11:20 pm »
My better late than never response

I had a DE filter, but it was getting old, and kept leaking DE into my pool.  I had changed all the grids, and it still leaked.
Got tired of this, and changed to a Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 520 Sq about a year ago.

My pool is covered (just through away my old, disintegrating safety cover and put on a solar cover), and I use a robot type pool cleaner, so the filter doesn't have to work very hard.  I have not had to clean it yet, so I don't know how hard it is.  But so far I'm happy with the cartridge.

troublefreepool is a great resource.  I use bleach/chlorine for my pool, and it works great.  The real trick is adding borax or boric acid to your pool.  It keeps algae from growing.  I don't add chlorine to my pool during the winter, and with it covered and the boric acid I never get algae.  At the start of the year I have to shock with with a bunch of chlorine, then its good to go.

Jon
I don't think you need to worry about your pool floating up in so cal.  That only happens where there is ground water, and we have no water anywhere.  But an empty pool really isn't safe.  If someone falls in and hurts themselves it would probably be a nasty lawsuit.

Randy

Don_S

« Reply #29 on: 8 Jun 2016, 11:55 pm »
Randy,

Good to hear about the Pentair 520.  I had a 420 installed yesterday. 

I have started using a net over my skimmer basket.  I am amazed at how much fine stuff it catches that would normally go into the filter.  I am not talking about pine needles and stuff the skimmer basked should catch.  I am talking about real fine dirt and cottonwood fluff that would pass through everything except the filter.  I did not think there would be that much dirt on the surface.  Of course the net is only about 0.5 square feet so I am not sure how much that will help to keep the filter clean.  I am mostly interested in keeping out chunks.

Saturn94

« Reply #30 on: 9 Jun 2016, 01:46 am »
Read this, then read it again:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/

This is where I learned to maintain my pool and I spend *maybe* $200 per swimming season (~4 months). And I think you are getting screwed for $800 open/close. Where do you live?

I suggest joining the trouble free pool forum. The members there are very helpful and you can learn a lot and save even more money. I suggest buying yourself the TFT-100 test kit and avoid pool stores at all cost! Their prices are outrageously high! I only go to my local pool store to buy chlorine because they have specials. Right now you can buy 10.5% chlorine at Walmart for $2.50 per gallon. That's cheaper and stronger than Walmart's Great Value Bleach (8.25% at $2.57 per gallon).

Kevin T

+1!!