Pool rhymes with Fool

Don_S

Pool rhymes with Fool
« on: 27 May 2016, 10:58 pm »
ARRRGHHHH,

I have had it with D.E. filters and separation tank bags failing.  I switched to D.E. from an ancient cartridge filter with multiple (11?) small diameter cartridges.  My pool gets a lot of tree debris and the pine, redwood, and cedar needles are a real pain to hose out of a cartridge.  Now I am thinking of going back to cartridges again.

I am looking for something easier to service in my golden years that are currently looking more like rust than gold. But I can always hope.

My filter choice has been narrowed down to  a Pentair Clean Clear Plus 420 with four larger cartridges.  I hate that almost every filter offered has deep pleats to increase surface area while making the filter much harder to clean.  Pool supply dude recommended pre-coating the filters with Zeofiber or Proguard cellulose fiber to facilitate cleaning. Does anybody have any experience with them or similar products?  How much would be used as a pre-coat for a 420sf filter.

http://www.amazon.com/Zeo-ZeoFiber%C2%AE-2-3lb-bags/dp/B008EM2E82/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1464389816&sr=1-1&keywords=zeofiber

Webster's:  Swimming Pool. Noun:  A hole in the ground that people throw money into.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Pool rhymes with Fool
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2016, 12:26 am »
Webster's:  Swimming Pool. Noun:  A hole in the ground that people throw money into.

And a stereo system is different how?    :scratch:

kgturner

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2016, 12:45 am »
Have you considered a sand filter or one of Hayward Star Clear single cartridge filters? True sand filters don't filter as fine as a DE or cartridge filter, but it's another option. Sure you have to backwash, but I find that my pool robot eats a lot of debris that would've otherwise wound up in the sand filter so I have to backwash less often. At some point I'd like to move to a cartridge filter and salt system.

Kevin T

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2016, 01:29 am »
Wouldn't a pole skimmer take care of most of your issues? Just think of it as going back to vinyl in the swimming pool sense.

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2016, 02:03 am »
Sand filters have a lot of  the same problems that D.E. filters have. Where does the backwash waste and water go in residential areas?  And how do you get it there? That is the reason D.E. filters have separation tanks.  I also have size limitations with respect to filter diameter.  The model I am considering is 21.5" and will be a very tight fit.

Pole skimmer?  You mean one of those nets on a long handle?   :scratch:  Maybe I could hire a lifeguard and have him do double duty as a skim-boy all the hours the filter is running. 

kgturner,  the Hayward model you mentioned is small.  I am looking at a filter with 420SF of surface area. The first owner of my home was a partner in a swimming pool installation company.  My pool is larger than most.

kgturner

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2016, 02:29 am »
Yeah, I noticed that the Star Clear filters only go up to 175 sq. ft., but they say they're for 57,600 gallons max. Not sure how big your pool is, 57k is a whopping big pool! Mine is just 20k gallons.  How big is your pool?

Kevin T

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2016, 11:16 am »
We're also dealing with pool issues.  We have a huge filter where the filter media costs $600 from the local store and $310 from Amazon.  We're trying to get the pool under wraps now, and it appears we need new filter media, as the pool is not clearing.  The media lasted 3 summers.  And this is for 3 months of use.  We've been having someone open and close the pool, and that costs at least $800, so I think I'm going to figure out how to do it this year.  Add tons of chemicals to this list, new cleaning implements (thinking of adding a cleaner that's $1,000 but means my wife won't have to work as hard), and we're looking at above $1,500/year at least.  So, $500/month for swimming.  Yikes!

Not to mention upkeep.  We have a pool deck and fence that need replacing.  I'm hesitant to estimate the cost of that one.  At least 10,000, as we also need some support added and some stone work done. 

BobM

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2016, 11:31 am »
There's a lot to be said for keeping it simple. Sand works just fine for us.

Don_S

« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2016, 02:24 pm »
There's a lot to be said for keeping it simple. Sand works just fine for us.

Bob,  How do you handle the backwash water?

kgturner,  My pool volume estimate is 25-30,000 gallons. Not one shop I stopped in or pool repair person I talked to recommended anything smaller than the 320sf Pentair.  420sf seemed to be the preferred. Small filter + dirty operating environment = cleaning the filter more often than is convenient.

Still no responses on using fiber as a filter aid.  Has anyone tried it?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2016, 03:06 pm »
We're also dealing with pool issues.  We have a huge filter where the filter media costs $600 from the local store and $310 from Amazon.  We're trying to get the pool under wraps now, and it appears we need new filter media, as the pool is not clearing.  The media lasted 3 summers.  And this is for 3 months of use.  We've been having someone open and close the pool, and that costs at least $800, so I think I'm going to figure out how to do it this year.  Add tons of chemicals to this list, new cleaning implements (thinking of adding a cleaner that's $1,000 but means my wife won't have to work as hard), and we're looking at above $1,500/year at least.  So, $500/month for swimming.  Yikes!

Not to mention upkeep.  We have a pool deck and fence that need replacing.  I'm hesitant to estimate the cost of that one.  At least 10,000, as we also need some support added and some stone work done.

Lose the pool.

A friend just went through a similar situation and decided it just wasn't cost effective to keep the pool.

Is yours in-ground or above-ground?

If you keep the pool, opening/closing is pretty easy and straight forward - no reason to be paying $800 year for a few hrs of work twice a season.

George

kgturner

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2016, 04:20 pm »

Read this, then read it again:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/

This is where I learned to maintain my pool and I spend *maybe* $200 per swimming season (~4 months). And I think you are getting screwed for $800 open/close. Where do you live?

I suggest joining the trouble free pool forum. The members there are very helpful and you can learn a lot and save even more money. I suggest buying yourself the TFT-100 test kit and avoid pool stores at all cost! Their prices are outrageously high! I only go to my local pool store to buy chlorine because they have specials. Right now you can buy 10.5% chlorine at Walmart for $2.50 per gallon. That's cheaper and stronger than Walmart's Great Value Bleach (8.25% at $2.57 per gallon).

Kevin T

Jon L

« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2016, 05:21 pm »
My pool gets a lot of tree debris and the pine, redwood, and cedar needles are a real pain to hose out of a cartridge.  Now I am thinking of going back to cartridges again.

You do have a Leaf canister installed on your robot, right?  It really drastically cut down on how often I have to clean my cartiridges. 
https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/AquaStarHWN162StandardLeafCanister/139470p1?gclid=CjwKEAjwg6W6BRDn6v__7vzN9QkSJAC9l9C3PE7--OnLeW87EVBh3-VyHo45YZrKetotYVKTzJjgShoCjcvw_wcB

I am tired of sinking money into my pool which is hardly used and am thinking about just keeping it drained.  But I worry about the pool "popping out" of ground due to ground water pressure.  I've heard one can install a pressure relief pipe(?) next to the pool to prevent this but haven't been able to figure it out.  Anybody tried?

Don_S

« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2016, 05:47 pm »
You do have a Leaf canister installed on your robot, right?  It really drastically cut down on how often I have to clean my cartiridges. 
https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/AquaStarHWN162StandardLeafCanister/139470p1?gclid=CjwKEAjwg6W6BRDn6v__7vzN9QkSJAC9l9C3PE7--OnLeW87EVBh3-VyHo45YZrKetotYVKTzJjgShoCjcvw_wcB

I am tired of sinking money into my pool which is hardly used and am thinking about just keeping it drained.  But I worry about the pool "popping out" of ground due to ground water pressure.  I've heard one can install a pressure relief pipe(?) next to the pool to prevent this but haven't been able to figure it out.  Anybody tried?

Jon,  I have never seen one of those.  Where does it install?   I have a Polaris that I use with either the fine mesh bag or the coarser leaf bag, depending on the season. The bags do a good job.  Pesky needles go through the skimmer basket and pump trash basket. I can have the pool surface clean and watch debris fall in while I swim.  The trees mock me.  I don't have much of a problem with leaves.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2016, 06:18 pm »
Catchy title, Don_S.
In your situation, I would call a realtor. Rather than further encumbering your budget and complicating your sunset years with a swimming pool problem that never ends, look to simplify. If swimming is important, join a club where you can spend what you do now or even less and let someone else deal with maintenance and liability issues. Done properly, this option could provide you with a much longer swimming season and a more temperate climate. My little town has a gorgeous fitness center with indoor pool and hot tub year round and outdoor pool in the summer. For a couple over 65, it costs maybe $25/month. Same building houses weights, walking track, fitness classes, Senior Center and public library.

WGH

« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2016, 06:19 pm »

I am tired of sinking money into my pool which is hardly used and am thinking about just keeping it drained. 

Or you can apply my solution
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=126882.msg1338674#msg1338674

Wayne

Don_S

« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2016, 06:22 pm »
Catchy title, Don_S.
In your situation, I would call a realtor. Rather than further encumbering your budget and complicating your sunset years with a swimming pool problem that never ends, look to simplify. If swimming is important, join a club where you can spend what you do now or even less and let someone else deal with maintenance and liability issues. Done properly, this option could provide you with a much longer swimming season and a more temperate climate. My little town has a gorgeous fitness center with indoor pool and hot tub year round and outdoor pool in the summer. For a couple over 65, it costs maybe $25/month. Same building houses weights, walking track, fitness classes, Senior Center and public library.

Yea, but then I would have to buy swimming trunks.  :lol:

kgturner

« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2016, 06:28 pm »
Jon,  I have never seen one of those.  Where does it install?   I have a Polaris that I use with either the fine mesh bag or the coarser leaf bag, depending on the season. The bags do a good job.  Pesky needles go through the skimmer basket and pump trash basket. I can have the pool surface clean and watch debris fall in while I swim.  The trees mock me.  I don't have much of a problem with leaves.

The leaf canister skimmer attaches between your Polaris and the suction line. It will usually come with a set of additional hoses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea243_oqGzo

Kevin T

Don_S

« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2016, 07:52 pm »
The leaf canister skimmer attaches between your Polaris and the suction line. It will usually come with a set of additional hoses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea243_oqGzo

Kevin T

My Polaris works on pressure, not suction.  Water flow using a booster pump creates a venturi effect and lifts debris into an attached bag.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2016, 08:23 pm »
My Polaris works on pressure, not suction.  Water flow using a booster pump creates a venturi effect and lifts debris into an attached bag.

WOW!!! Don, that thing looks medical.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2016, 08:28 pm »
I have the Polaris posted above and it works very well.  The new updated model even scrubs the tile around the edge.  I have Jandy equipment with four large cartridges.  I clean them twice a year since the pool/spa has always been open year round.  The cost of the pool maintenance here in NC is pretty minimal.  That said, I'm happy to rid of myself of it in two weeks.