New tool!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: New tool!
« Reply #60 on: 8 Jun 2015, 02:44 pm »
Oh, trust me John, I've been talking to the wife about a new shop....either an "outbuilding", or a new house.
In the mean time, I'll just continue to install wheels on the heavy stuff.   :roll:

Since space is at such a premium here, I'm forced to get creative with what I've got.
For instance, the new saw is so massive and there's so much wasted space under the deck, I'm going to build storage shelves and cabinets under it.
It's also going to serve as an out-feed table to the drum sander!   :thumb:
It'll certainly be a challenge to get all that on a rolling cart at the perfect height.

Bearman, thanks! Yes, I've actually got two pair of OB speakers. One on either end of the workshop.
The ones you can see here are vintage AlNiCo console speakers. On the other end are 15" Hawthorne Audio drivers.
Mr. Thunderbrick was kind enough to give me a vintage HH Scott receiver that powers them.
One set of speakers are output "A", the other are "B".  8)

Bob

TomS

« Reply #61 on: 8 Jun 2015, 05:27 pm »
Oh, trust me John, I've been talking to the wife about a new shop....either an "outbuilding", or a new house.

Bob
Sooooo, I assume you haven't become hooked on www.garagejournal.com yet?

That darn forum has already cost me more than my audio habit and I've only been on there a year or so.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #62 on: 8 Jun 2015, 05:48 pm »
No Tom. They didn't understand my sense of humor. I was banned right away.  :roll:

TomS

« Reply #63 on: 8 Jun 2015, 05:51 pm »
No Tom. They didn't understand my sense of humor. I was banned right away.  :roll:
Perfect  8)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #64 on: 8 Jun 2015, 05:55 pm »
Probably saved me thousands of dollars in the long run.

ACHiPo

« Reply #65 on: 8 Jun 2015, 06:04 pm »
Ok John, here's a new one I just got.

Ran across a Jet JPS-10TS for $575 the other day. Seemed like a pretty good deal, as the new ones with cast iron wings are about $1400.
The guy had it five years and said he used it a handful of times the first year and put it in storage for the past four years.

The top was a bit rusted, so I used about 15 sheets of 120 grit on the orbital sander, then about 15 sheets of 320 grit. Then, I followed up with a scotch-brite pad on the orbital sander with WD-40 as the lube.
It's now slick as glass.

I was going to tune it up, but it's already true and square.
I've got the plywood on the right where I'm going to veneer a piece of steel sheet to it and use it for a router table.

I'm trying to figure out how to modify the back side of the fence as the fence for the router section.

Bob,
Nice saw!  I had a router table on my old (by old I mean 1929) Davis and Wells table saw.  I just built up a two-piece fence with a gap for the router bit.  Just make sure you feed the stock "backwards"--you don't want the bit climbing which it will do if you feed from the front of the saw.

AC

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #66 on: 8 Jun 2015, 07:06 pm »
Good advise AC.
The saw from the twenties sounds cool. I've got a couple from the late forties and love them. I was convinced my next table saw would be vintage, but this one fell in my lap. Can't go wrong with a new Jet though.

ACHiPo

« Reply #67 on: 8 Jun 2015, 07:31 pm »
Good advise AC.
The saw from the twenties sounds cool. I've got a couple from the late forties and love them. I was convinced my next table saw would be vintage, but this one fell in my lap. Can't go wrong with a new Jet though.
Nope, the new Jet stuff is pretty good.  I bought a 14" steel bandsaw and their 12" jointer/planer last year, and am impressed with both machines (other than the bandsaw's tendency to blow the breaker, but that's probably a breaker issue as much as a crappy motor issue). 

My old table saw was loaned to a buddy that ended up getting separated, and it became a lawn ornament.  I'd feel worse if I hadn't left it there for 10 years  :oops:

My "new" table saw is an Inca 259 (probably only about 30 years old), but I don't use it much since getting a good bandsaw and one of these:
https://www.festoolproducts.com/Festool-PT3561556-TS-55-REQ-MFT-3-MultiFunction-p/pt3561556.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-tSrBRCk8bzDiO__gbwBEiQAk-D31Smy2geE7I_bcxBoRfuxbZtqHBWrKNYoswEu6-8PYn8aAjK58P8HAQ

...and bolted on one of these for my router table...
https://www.festoolproducts.com/Festool-P00110-CMS-VL-MFT-3-Router-Table-p/p00110.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-tSrBRCk8bzDiO__gbwBEiQAk-D31dZm-nCTjAsPpZj6kZwd65F9w7nR9SKNbWbVOQQmsm0aAmYH8P8HAQ

The CMS is really slick, but it's so complicated that I start learning about it, get distracted, then have to start all over again.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #68 on: 8 Jun 2015, 07:41 pm »
Wow, those are impressive!
That CMS is amazing.... incremental adjustments of 1/256".  :o

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #69 on: 8 Jun 2015, 08:35 pm »
Cool old tools Bob, I know you're old enough and probably know the reputation of the radial arm saw. There's a reason they stopped making saw blades go in that direction, people used to cut fingers off all the time because those darn saws grab and pull to you, not away from you. That's why they started making slide saws and I just love using mine, don't have any pictures of it thou.

John, those small impact drivers are great for driving long screws like decking screws. They make a night and day difference when driving something that needs some pressure against it to drive it home.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #70 on: 8 Jun 2015, 08:49 pm »
Yea, no kidding. The saw definitely has a learning curve, that's for sure.
I've learned to keep my left thumb tucked away.  :lol:

JohnR

« Reply #71 on: 10 Jun 2015, 09:07 am »
It's funny how people have different ideas about what tools they need. I suppose it's just like... well anything  :scratch: :duh: :lol: Here's my latest new tool

I already have the corded version but dragging the cord around on the roof is a pain. So, let's see how well the cordless one works. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :-P) It's started raining now so it will be a few days before it gets used.

BTW Amazon have $50 off Bosch right now which brings the price down a fair bit (just in case anyone who already has Bosch batteries and charger was interested)

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Bare-Tool-MXH180BL-Brushless-Oscillating/dp/B00E1RSUDW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1433926918&sr=1-1&keywords=MXH180

http://www.amazon.com/MXH180BN-Bare-Tool-Brushless-Oscillating-Exact-Fit/dp/B00N8I2F2C/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1433926986&sr=1-2&keywords=MXH180

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #72 on: 10 Jun 2015, 12:09 pm »
I've got the DeWalt "Multi-Max" version of that tool.
"Indispensable" as far as I'm concerned. A cordless would be even better.

JohnR

« Reply #73 on: 10 Jun 2015, 12:41 pm »
Eh? MultiMax is Dremel (?)

ACHiPo

« Reply #74 on: 10 Jun 2015, 12:48 pm »
Wow, those are impressive!
That CMS is amazing.... incremental adjustments of 1/256".  :o
Only if you can remember how to put all the pieces together!  :oops:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #75 on: 10 Jun 2015, 01:14 pm »
Eh? MultiMax is Dremel (?)
"Yes", you're correct. I'm was on my first cup 'o java when I typed that. :duh:

AC, I know what you mean.  :duh:

TomS

« Reply #76 on: 10 Jun 2015, 01:41 pm »
I have the Fein version. It's one of those tools that the few times you use it you wonder how you ever lived without it. They are definitely in it to sell the blades though  8)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #77 on: 10 Jun 2015, 01:48 pm »
I know what you mean about the blades.
Reminds me of the cheap PC printers....they might as well give you the printer for free, since the ink refills are as much as the printer was.  :roll:
That tool seemed to fill a nitch that no other tool ever has. It makes thousands of tasks that used to be difficult, into smaller tasks that now take seconds.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #78 on: 10 Jun 2015, 03:24 pm »
It's funny how people have different ideas about what tools they need. I suppose it's just like... well anything  :scratch: :duh: :lol: Here's my latest new tool

I already have the corded version but dragging the cord around on the roof is a pain. So, let's see how well the cordless one works. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :-P) It's started raining now so it will be a few days before it gets used.

BTW Amazon have $50 off Bosch right now which brings the price down a fair bit (just in case anyone who already has Bosch batteries and charger was interested)

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Bare-Tool-MXH180BL-Brushless-Oscillating/dp/B00E1RSUDW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1433926918&sr=1-1&keywords=MXH180

http://www.amazon.com/MXH180BN-Bare-Tool-Brushless-Oscillating-Exact-Fit/dp/B00N8I2F2C/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1433926986&sr=1-2&keywords=MXH180

I have 3 of these multi tools, 2 of them are the version from Harbour Freight and are corded and the other one is a cordless from Ridged. For $35.00 the corded ones are amazing and I can't believe how often that tool has saved the day, much easier than using a sawzall and much faster than using a drill and saber saw for cutting out holes. The cordless doesn't work near as well, just doesn't have the power it needs but I'm thinking some of the other cordless units probably work better. 

JohnR

« Reply #79 on: 11 Jun 2015, 03:09 pm »
I have to admit I was initially pretty skeptical about the power of a cordless, but the reviews are almost all positive on that for this machine so I decided to take the plunge (hah hah :-P ) Haven't tested yet tho.