New or amp or...?

lukslp22

New or amp or...?
« on: 20 Jun 2016, 10:00 pm »
Hi guys! I have a sansui au-a607 extra 110v recapped, which sounds awesome for me, but now probably I have a chance to get a new Nuprime IDA-08 or a ST-10 (using a parasound Zdac v.2 like preamp), my use is 100% PC, and I listen a lot of classic, pop, orchestal music at low-medium volume, paired with a KEF Q300 (mundorf oil crossover mods) so my question like this

1) Keep the money
2) Get the IDA-08 with dac and preamp of course inside
3) Get the ST-10 and paired with the Zdac V.2 (I don´t have too much money for the dac-09)

For now just I am looking for those options.

Thanks!!!

larsg

Re: New or amp or...?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2016, 09:59 am »
DAC-9 and STA-9 together cost no more than a ST-10.

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2016, 11:05 am »
A warm welcome to AudioCircle Mr. lukslp22

Guy 13

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2016, 01:19 am »
I don't know if the op will return, sometimes new posters are one and done on forums, but I hope he or she does because it's a great question.  I've been thinking about this for bit and I have arguments on both sides.  The IDA 8 has a lower price, you get an up to date dac, a phono stage, and a nice amp.  The ST 10 gets you a much nicer amp, and the argument that you should always buy the best component you can afford, kinda like picking the best athlete instead of for needs.  And I know you specifically said these were the options you were considering, but I have to say that the DAC 9 and STA 9 is very attractive because it answers the above conundrum quite nicely.  You get an up to date dac, and a nicer amp.  The rub is that you have to want a warm sounding system.  If not then it depends on how much you like the Zdac.  If you're happy with it then the ST 10 for sure.  If you're looking to upgrade your dac, then of course the IDA 8 is the next best choice, albeit a little warm too.

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2016, 03:01 am »
As an IDA-8 owner I can concur that unless you just love "warm" then warm sounding speakers need not apply. It should however be fine with any of the Uni-Q based speakers or other similarly voiced.  I also suspect the DAC in the 8 is a step above the Parasound unit.

roller

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2016, 08:58 am »
Using IDA-8 with Merlin TSM speakers here in Argentina.Music sounds relaxed and detailed but not analytic,very enjoyable for long listening.
Its also a small unit,unobtrusive and so convenient "all in one " amp,love it!

rustydoglim

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2016, 10:02 am »
my use is 100% PC, and I listen a lot of classic, pop, orchestal music at low-medium volume, paired with a KEF Q300 (mundorf oil crossover mods) so my question like this

I think go with IDA-8 since you mentioned that you listen at low to mid volume and have a mix of music preferences.
My rationale for IDA-8:
1) you can't go wrong with this given the above preference. Sure, you can find something better, but it will cost a lot more.
2) If you go with ST-10, then you would have to upgrade the rest of the system, and I don't think you want to do that due to budget constrain. You will be in a frustrating state.

lukslp22

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2016, 05:34 pm »
Thanks to all people! yeah in another site, recommend change the speaker, but here the kef ls50 (for example) costs almost twice more than the IDA-08. And yes exactly another option is a accuphase e211 but costs much more, I'll go to hear the IDA-08 in the next months.

Thanks!!! :D

lukslp22

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2016, 06:38 pm »
Ohh and the ST-10 have a low price because is a demo amp, the dac-09 (only that) costs only a 10% less than the ST-10 used, sorry if the question is complicated, normally I seek the answer elsewhere.