Another inexpensive Passive Preamp

Wind Chaser

Another inexpensive Passive Preamp
« on: 8 Feb 2020, 08:35 pm »

Link to product page

Just exploring options, need something balanced and this looks interesting. But why does it need to be plugged in?

dspringham

Re: Another inexpensive Passive Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2020, 08:44 pm »
"But why does it need to be plugged in?"

Looks like the output level is controlled via a relay switching network. The relays are located on the right side of the circuit board and an internal power supply is required for the relay coils and associated logic (or microprocessor) circuitry for control functions. The signal path is passive as resistors are switched in and out (via relay contacts) for attenuation.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2020, 08:57 pm »
Cool, thanks for explaining that.

I’d rather not acquire a collection of passive preamps but I might take a chance on this, not that I have anything to compare it with.  :lol:

ttan98

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2020, 02:07 am »
I think this preamp should include these features:

1. Remote control
2. Optional Bluetooth 5.0
3. Different Inputs(2 or 3)

others you may think of.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2020, 02:08 am »

1. Remote control

Absolutely!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2020, 02:44 am »

1. Remote control
2. Optional Bluetooth 5.0
3. Different Inputs(2 or 3)

others you may think of.

Agree with all of that.  I'm not a Bluetooth guy when I'm out of the car, but many are.  Since you asked, I'd add a high quality attenuator, like a Dact.  They're $10 for you or me, in volume in China, what, a $1?  I'd suppose you could find something like that in ChiFi, they make a zillion models.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2020, 01:08 pm by Letitroll98 »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2020, 02:53 am »
WC,

If you get this, check and see if you can hear the relays clicking/chattering as you go up and down in volume levels. At the Florida Expo there were a few pre’s (that were $$$$) and it was kind of annoying especially with DC coupled amps.

Hopefully there is a return policy but then again this unit is inexpensive. It is strange that remote capabilities were not included in this design.

Best,
Anand.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2020, 06:06 am »
I went ahead and ordered the Nobsound thru Amazon for now.  :D

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2020, 10:53 am »
For 99 bucks you can get one of the Dact Honk Kong passive on EBay and it is quite a bit better than the Nobsound. Cleaner and more open.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 13 Feb 2020, 11:20 am »
Be sure to use low capacitance interconnects with any passive preamp to avoid muted high frequencies.  Years ago in my hair shirt purist days I used stepped attenuators plugged directly into my mono-blocks to avoid that issue.

mhconley

« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2020, 12:16 pm »
I have one of these Nobsound relay based passive preamplifiers. I purchased it on AliExpress last fall. I use mine between my active preamplifier and the ICEpower monoblocks driving the bottom of my Von Schweikert speakers. It’s being used to balance with the 300b PSET monoblocks I have driving the top of my speakers. It’s branded Yisheng HiFi on the front of the unit.

You can definitely hear the relays clicking away when you adjust the volume. The sound was a little disconcerting the first time I used it but I’m used to it now. In my use I set it once and forget it; I use my active preamplifier to adjust the system volume.

I found the thing to be sonically transparent, as was the cheapo Nobsound / Little Bear it replaced. I just wanted something a little more high end and this unit fits the bill nicely.

I was also considering much more expensive solutions like those from Goldpoint or Khozmo. I’m happy with this Nobsound /Yisheng unit.

Martin

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2020, 05:40 pm »
For 99 bucks you can get one of the Dact Honk Kong passive on EBay and it is quite a bit better than the Nobsound. Cleaner and more open.

I didn’t see that one. Link?

mhconley

« Reply #12 on: 13 Feb 2020, 07:01 pm »
I think he may be referencing this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMD-Dact-type-Stepped-attenuator-Passive-Preamplifier/192132688811  :dunno:

It might be better than the $60 plastic Nobsound and, then again, it may not. I found the $60 Nobsound perfectly transparent. I love how the "Dact type" switches are stamped "Audio." If it says it, it must be true.  :D

I can tell you the Yisheng unit is a quality component and not just a couple of switches in a box.

Martin

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2020, 07:21 pm »
I think he may be referencing this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMD-Dact-type-Stepped-attenuator-Passive-Preamplifier/192132688811  :dunno:

Thanks Martin,

That wouldn’t work for me because I need balanced in and balanced out.

From everything I’ve read, I expect the Nobsound to be perfectly fine. But I’ll keep the door open to future prospects with a better VC.

jmc207

« Reply #14 on: 13 Feb 2020, 09:08 pm »
I bought one of these with the DACT clone pot and have found it to be very good, and I believe a bit better than the Nobsound that I first bought. The case on this is quite compact though heavy for it's size. Mine is black, not the gold or silver they also offer now. Definitely feels more upscale than the Nobsound.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMD-Dact-type-21-Stepped-attenuator-Passive-Preamplifier-preamp-amp-HIFI-audio/123759141302?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Cacophonix

« Reply #15 on: 13 Feb 2020, 10:24 pm »
Here's one more that i came across recently.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIF8GBG/

Anyone used it? Its a passive monitor controller, so not a real preamp with multiple inputs ... but for someone who is just looking for a volume control, this may not be a bad piece.

OzarkTom

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2020, 12:55 pm »
Thanks Martin,

That wouldn’t work for me because I need balanced in and balanced out.

From everything I’ve read, I expect the Nobsound to be perfectly fine. But I’ll keep the door open to future prospects with a better VC.

The Nobsound is very good. I enjoyed mine quite a bit. I never tried balanced, so I am sure that will sound better. The nice thing about the 99 buck dact is the multiple inputs and subwoofer out if you are using RCA's. It is also heavy enough if you are using stiff wires.