Cap upgrade for crossover

KLH007

Cap upgrade for crossover
« on: 15 Oct 2015, 06:19 am »
Jeff, please advise me on a cap upgrade for use in a crossover. The tweeter is a 46" quasi ribbon and uses a single 24uf Solen metalized poly Fastcap FB series. I was considering a Sonicap Gen 1, 24, and a Gen 1, 0.1 uf bypass. I've tried a Clarity cap and preferred the Solen.

GT Audio Works

Re: Cap upgrade for crossover
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2015, 12:11 pm »
Jeff, please advise me on a cap upgrade for use in a crossover. The tweeter is a 46" quasi ribbon and uses a single 24uf Solen metalized poly Fastcap FB series. I was considering a Sonicap Gen 1, 24, and a Gen 1, 0.1 uf bypass. I've tried a Clarity cap and preferred the Solen.
The tweeter used in the speaker he speaks of is not a quasi ribbon.
It is a ribbon.
Quasi ribbon is terminology used by Maggie to denote what is actually a planar tweeter. It uses magnetic drive from the rear immersing the tweeter element only in the stray magnetic flux field and a stretched and clamped on all sides tweeter element. Speakers from Carver to Infinity and Genesis BG etc. have been described as ribbons when in actuality they are more aptly described as Quasi.
This is a common misnomer.
If the tweeter element is suspended loosely only by its ends and the drive magnets are on either side of the ribbon immersing the tweeter element full in the magnetic gap allowing magnetic flow 90 degrees to the direction of motion, weather the element is a pure foil or a mylar backed foil its still a ribbon.
FYI...Greg

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2015, 02:02 am »

If you find the Solens forward or edgy/gritty, the G1 will do nicely.  The G1 will have more detail, transparency, and air than most of the Claritys in your application.  However, they will need to burn in.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2015, 02:08 am »
The tweeter used in the speaker he speaks of is not a quasi ribbon.
It is a ribbon.
Quasi ribbon is terminology used by Maggie to denote what is actually a planar tweeter. It uses magnetic drive from the rear immersing the tweeter element only in the stray magnetic flux field and a stretched and clamped on all sides tweeter element. Speakers from Carver to Infinity and Genesis BG etc. have been described as ribbons when in actuality they are more aptly described as Quasi.
This is a common misnomer.
If the tweeter element is suspended loosely only by its ends and the drive magnets are on either side of the ribbon immersing the tweeter element full in the magnetic gap allowing magnetic flow 90 degrees to the direction of motion, weather the element is a pure foil or a mylar backed foil its still a ribbon.
FYI...Greg

That is how I understand it, but I come from back in the day when only a ribbon that had a purely conductive element was considered a "pure" ribbon.  I must say that foils on film have better structural integrity.  And, they last longer  :wink:  I hope your G1s work out  :green:

KLH007

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2015, 02:25 am »
Thanks Jeff, Should I consider a Sonicap G2 as a bypass? Please give your advice/suggestions on which bypass, and what value. Danny said 0.1 down to 0.022uf.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2015, 03:11 am »
I would not bypass at first.  If you are going to try the G1, burn it in, and see where it takes you.  In your application, I doubt I would ever bypass with a G2.

For my edification, which Clarity did you use, and what did you not like about it?

KLH007

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2015, 05:10 am »
I'll need Greg to chime in on that, I've only heard the Solen not the Clarity, Hello Greg. Jeff, How many hours for the Sonicap G1 to "burn in"?

GT Audio Works

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2015, 12:53 pm »
I'll need Greg to chime in on that, I've only heard the Solen not the Clarity, Hello Greg. Jeff, How many hours for the Sonicap G1 to "burn in"?
I tried the Clarity ESA 24uf 3% 630v. on the ribbon tweeter of my older model GTA2.
While I liked the top end over the Solen, more extended and cleaner. I felt the lower treble was not fleshed out as much. Creating a less contiguous relationship between the planar and the ribbon. To be fair, my current offering the GTA2.5 has had significant revisions to the planar panel, and slight  changes to the ribbon tweeter, so it would be in my best interest  to re evaluate the Clarity's on my latest speaker.
I will do a 3 way comparison against the Solens and the Sonicaps.

Greg

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2015, 01:02 am »
How many hours for the Sonicap G1 to "burn in"?

I seem to have missed this part  :?

200-300 hours.

KLH007

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2015, 01:33 am »
Thanks Jeff, Greg will be able to compare all 3 caps in the tweeter crossover, Solen, Sonicap, and Clarity.