suggestion for dac with my macbook

suggestion for dac with my macbook
« on: 29 Dec 2010, 03:50 am »
Frank,
  I have Omega 240 amp and ec preamp in living room now,  replacing 5 channel sony and don't miss surrround. Now need to replace my library system that went to living room. I would like to continue use I tunes through stereo. Currently using devilsound dac through an old pioneer sx1050. Anybody in house have experience with macbook digital out to your DAC???  What kind of cable would I need to use to go to your preamp dac?
   Thinking real hard about the Ultra 350 although I really don't need the power. 

Art_Chicago

Re: suggestion for dac with my macbook
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2010, 05:58 am »
I am using both a macbookpro and appleTV with inday switch feeding the insight+ DAC. From the macbook it is minitoslink-to-toslink cable and then co-ax from inday to the dac. You can get either the inday switch or a toslink/co-ax adapter from AVA.
 A Vision DAC with 4 inputs (EC version) should be fit your needs well!

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2010, 06:25 am »
I find using a HiFace USB adapter superior to the Mac's built-in digital output.  The HiFace is available with either an RCA or BNC output jack.  John Kenny's modified HiFace is a substantial improvement to the stock adapter.  I also find that Pure Music over iTunes is another substantial improvement.

BTW, if you decide on the toslink cable and Inday switch, I have an Inday switch that I will sell for 85.00 shipped.

Brett Buck

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2010, 11:04 am »
I find using a HiFace USB adapter superior to the Mac's built-in digital output.

What is different about it?   You get the same bit stream either way.

Brett

wilsynet

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2010, 01:28 pm »
Depends if you believe whether the effects of jitter are audible or not.  The bits may be the same, but the timing might not be.

Brett Buck

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2010, 01:33 pm »
Depends if you believe whether the effects of jitter are audible or not.  The bits may be the same, but the timing might not be.

Believe?  OK, I will bow out now...

Brett

wilsynet

« Reply #6 on: 29 Dec 2010, 01:42 pm »
I believe in relativity, quantum mechanics and gravity too, which to date remain theories and not fact.  Darn good and credible theories.  Not sure why there's an issue with the word "believe".

Brett Buck

« Reply #7 on: 29 Dec 2010, 01:57 pm »
I believe in relativity, quantum mechanics and gravity too, which to date remain theories and not fact.  Darn good and credible theories.  Not sure why there's an issue with the word "believe".

Because there are perfectly good technical and engineering principles involved, you don't have to "believe" anything one way other.

Gravity is a "theory"?

Brett

trebejo

« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2010, 09:43 pm »
Theoretical or otherwise, USB is a problematic interface all on its own.

Optical cables provide electrical insulation, which is a nice plus. That may be negated by the intermediate adapter, however.

I use the optical cable into an Inday switch, and I was using this inexpensive 2-to-1 switch beforehand, a Cables-to-go 40429 adapter,

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-40429-Dual-Output-Digital/dp/B001DF2KC2

Whenever I have compared optical to BNC digital streams, I have not noticed a difference, but I suppose there might have been if there had been a malfunctioning device along the way, so make sure that your optical converters are working as they should.

« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2010, 02:14 am »
Oneinthepipe,
  I had forgotten about the hiface. I read the review on enjoy the music website. How long have you had yours, and do you use a macbook? Would Johns' box sit flush plugged in? One last ? How steep is the learning curve for Pure Music? Can't really tell reading reviews. One minute sounds Dummy proof next like rocket science.
Thanks,
Louie
Ps after reading the Hiface manual I may be looking at the inday switch. I assume this is what you used previously? Hiface doesn't look plug and play friendly. I am definitely not computer tech friendly. Thats why the Devilsound dac appealed. And great sound to boot. Comments?