Searching for Longhorn mod U-channel source

2gumby2

Searching for Longhorn mod U-channel source
« on: 11 May 2007, 05:32 am »
Can anyone recommend an on-line source where I can purchase the K&S #181 brass 1/8 inch U-channel for the Longhorn phono cartridge mod? I am stationed at a military base in Japan, and doubt that I can find this product around here.

gooberdude

Re: Searching for Longhorn mod U-channel source
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2007, 01:54 pm »
Maybe ACE Hardware???    Or try a big hobby supply firm like Tower Hobbies.

gooberdude

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2007, 01:56 pm »
OR....if you were desparate I could you mail you mine.    I have a completed Longhorn & 6" left of the U channel.    Its gonna be a while before i go back to a prestige bodied cartridge.

No cost to you except for shipping.  In all i spent about $3 on materials...

2gumby2

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2007, 05:26 am »
Thank you for your kind offer. I was able to find the K&S web site and have requested ordering information from them.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2007, 03:26 pm »
Small Parts Inc.

Not exact dimensions of K&S, but engineering dimensions. Also in aluminum and other materials. You might be able to improve the mod...  :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2007, 03:59 pm »
2 to 3 snips of (copper) magnet wire (12 or 13ga), then glued together, make a good Longhorn, too. 2 is about right...3 is a bit heavy to balance on most arms.

Any non-magnetic metal cut into 1.5" strip that will fit on the front of your cartridge either by solder or tacky clay will do the job, too.

Magnet wire should be easily found in Japan, I'd think  :roll:

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2007, 07:50 pm »
I couldn't find any channel either, but I did find some rectangular brass tubing at ACE hardware measuring .125" X .250" X.031 wall. I cut the rectangular tubing down the .250" middle, ending up with the equivalent channel dimension. Scribe some lines and use a hacksaw or bandsaw. It will work if you can't find the channel.

8)

2gumby2

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2007, 12:18 am »
ChairGuy -
I spoke with Frank at RMAF last year about the magnet wire as I had heard about this before. But Frank said it wouldn't function properly because the weight needs to be on the ends and not distributed evenly across the cartridge. I don't know the physics behind this, but I trust Frank does so I've decided to stick with the original mod recommendations.

WayneR -
Thanks for the info on the Ace Hardware brass. If I don't get a response from K&S, I may have my brother go to Ace and mail some to me.

cdorval1

« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2007, 08:58 pm »
You'll be very glad you did this mod.  It's amazing.

Here's an online source:
http://www.depotland.com/inventory/fin-inv.htm#K&S

Enjoy!

Craig

2gumby2

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2007, 05:57 am »
Craig,

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for.