wood veneer
5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: 12 Jun 2013, 06:29 pm

paint colors

harley52

paint colors
« on: 2 Jun 2013, 06:29 pm »
This is a really, really hard decision for me. Personally I go for the Candy Apple red with a silver base, as the silver gives a brighter red, where as the gold base will give more of a darker red. Both look delicious.
Thanks to everyone for taking the time.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: paint colors
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2013, 07:55 pm »
Candy Apple red with flames to give it that 50's hotrod feel.   :thumb:

neekomax

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2013, 07:56 pm »
Piano white. Always piano white.

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2013, 08:08 pm »
This is a tough question because color preference is very personal and it also delends on your home decore.

Lastly, even if you love these speakers and plan to keep them for a long time, I'd consider resale value when choosing color or speaker finish.  Lambo Yellow or gloss white might seem cool but you may have a hard time selling them down the road.  I knew a guy who picked up some used gloss white B&W 801's for next to nothing.  Luckily he bought them used, for cheap because he had to eventually sell them at a deep discount because of the unique finish.

Personally, I like for speakers to disappear when I'm listening to them.  I don't want to see glossy cabinets or shiny drivers, just music, coming from "nowhere". 

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2013, 08:58 pm »
Wood veneer all the way! I got my Breeze in redwood burl and love em.
Hundreds of veneer choices though. Ryan knows his veneer and I would ask him for suggestions.

neekomax

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2013, 09:11 pm »
This is a tough question because color preference is very personal and it also delends on your home decore.

Lastly, even if you love these speakers and plan to keep them for a long time, I'd consider resale value when choosing color or speaker finish.  Lambo Yellow or gloss white might seem cool but you may have a hard time selling them down the road.  I knew a guy who picked up some used gloss white B&W 801's for next to nothing.  Luckily he bought them used, for cheap because he had to eventually sell them at a deep discount because of the unique finish.

Personally, I like for speakers to disappear when I'm listening to them.  I don't want to see glossy cabinets or shiny drivers, just music, coming from "nowhere".

All personal, no doubt. But as far as a speaker 'blending in', I think white or lighter finishes usually does the trick better... walls are generally white-ish. Big ole' black boxes are not my thing. Cool for a concert venue, but in my home I like something a bit more stylish.

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2013, 09:11 pm »
I would love to see those in a candy apple red with a silver base.  Or the "Chardonay" color of the Nimbus.

persisting1

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2013, 11:50 pm »
it also delends on your home decore.

Go with white if you have a modern/mid century modern home. Wood veneer for everything else.

Or just go with what you like. You're the one who has to look at them  :thumb:

EdRo

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2013, 01:22 am »

Heh, Harley52, this is Ed, Maker of the Aurora, in Detroit. Here's my pair, done up all formal-like, for the prom. I used Cadillac White Diamond for the baffle, and Cadillac Black Diamond for the cab. The metal flake is nice when you're close up, but disappears when you back up a foot or so. The white baffle has a pearl sheen to it.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2013, 01:29 am »
....... this is Ed, Maker of the Aurora, in Detroit..........
Am I missing something?  :scratch:

jackman

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2013, 01:39 am »
Ed, beautiful work!  I love the color combos you have chosen.  Also, those stands are beautiful.  What do you have between the speakers and stands? 

Amazing job!  More pictures please.

J

EdRo

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2013, 01:43 am »
Thanks, Jackman! I like the feeling of space between the speaker and stand, so I put 1" ball bearings between the two. The bearings fit in sockets that align the speakers with the stands as you set the cab down. Pretty cool idea, I think. I haven't seen that one anywhere before! When you get a set of Auroras, they come with a set of balls! :lol:

EdRo

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2013, 02:45 am »
I just wanted to give Harley52 a different color choice. The next set for myself might just be the deep red thats on the Nimbus with the piano white baffle. That, my friend, would look stunning in my humble opinion. :thumb:

harley52

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jun 2013, 12:41 pm »
 I think Ed has given me the answer to my dilemma. White pearl on the speaker and stands. If anyone has pics of  speakers in different colors, that would really help. As it stands for now, the White Pearl is very intriguing.

The sheen of that white is what I like best. I don't want to fall into the 'me to' colors or veneer. I want these to be  different. I have no plans of selling. Of course the best laid plans can go to H in a handbag.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #14 on: 7 Jun 2013, 03:16 pm »
Am I missing something?  :scratch:

Hey Bob,

Ed is the cabinet maker for the Aurora and Nimbus (now you know why he was so enamored with Nimbus in the Nimbus thread  :lol:).  Ed is the wood bending expert, having mastered his skills while making kick butt guitars for years.  His effort in crafting the cabinet you see in my avatar is what led to both the Nimbus and Aurora.  Ryan and I do the finish work after we get the raw cabinets from Ed.  The stacked ply cabinets are made here in St. Louis.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #15 on: 7 Jun 2013, 03:23 pm »
I think Ed has given me the answer to my dilemma. White pearl on the speaker and stands. If anyone has pics of  speakers in different colors, that would really help. As it stands for now, the White Pearl is very intriguing.

The sheen of that white is what I like best. I don't want to fall into the 'me to' colors or veneer. I want these to be  different. I have no plans of selling. Of course the best laid plans can go to H in a handbag.

Heck, its easy to repaint a set of speakers too.  If you were ever to sell them, it would be simple enough to scuff up the exterior and shoot another color onto them.

Don't forget that a color like the Cadillac White Diamond is a multi-stage paint that will add some to the cost.  We'll find out what that is once we bring it to our painter.  It is a great color though.  Ed's cabinets are simply gorgeous to look at close up.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 9 Jun 2013, 07:03 pm »
Hey Bob,

Ed is the cabinet maker for the Aurora and Nimbus (now you know why he was so enamored with Nimbus in the Nimbus thread  :lol:). ...........
Ahhhh...gotcha.
Ed has since PM'd me to give me the background story. I didn't know Ryan was "subbing out" work, and thought Ed's comment was strange.
Good stuff guys, looks great.  :thumb: