Any other projector dudes out here?

Energeezer

« Reply #20 on: 16 Aug 2003, 01:16 am »
Guys
I can not emphasize this enough. If you have some patience with set up and a light controlled room there is nothing that will compare to a good 8 or 9" CRT PJ.
These can be had at a fraction of new and cheaper than a new DECENT digital. This is not conjecture but fact and indeed MOST digital PJ users will agree.
You need patience with the setup and a light controlled room (since crt is not as bright)
There are many resellers of used CRT who offer warrentee and are rock solid reliable and honest people whom support the product to a level you would not believe. For them it is a passion in the same way high end audio is for many of us. Of course there are nasties as well so some research is in order.
I have been using CRT now for 2 years and I can tell you that I have yet to see a digital that really gives it a run for the money in a light controlled enviroment. My current PJ is an NEC XG1352LC.
For home theater it is the way to go IMO.
Here is a link to a place where info is abound.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=16
If anyone would like info re reliable resellers you may PM me but I am not usually in the habit of advertising for them on public forums

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 27 Aug 2003, 12:48 am »
Julian,

Can you comment on the DA-Lite model and size? Just wondering if it was tensioned or not.

Regards

Rup

KeithR

« Reply #22 on: 24 Sep 2003, 12:28 am »
Well, DLP is starting to bug me so I sold the marantz and just purchased a JVC SX21 LCOS machine.  Will let everybody know once setup this weekend...

Bwanagreg

« Reply #23 on: 24 Sep 2003, 02:52 pm »
Keith,

What was it that turned you negative on DLP?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 25 Sep 2003, 01:58 am »
I know some people are bothered over time by the color separation artifacts that some DLPs exhibit (the Rainbow Effect).  This is more pronounced in older projectors with slower, 3 segment color wheels.  

Fortunately, I can't see this effect unless I'm trying hard to induce it (eg shaking my head violently while looking at text, like movie credits).  Some folks aren't so lucky.

Bwanagreg

« Reply #25 on: 25 Sep 2003, 03:06 pm »
The possibility of color artifacts ("rainbows") are what made me decide to but an inexpensive LCD. Digital projector technology is not yet mature, and I can't see spending $$$$$ on anything right now. What a drag to buy a high-end DLP that gives you or someone in your family a headache!

KeithR

« Reply #26 on: 25 Sep 2003, 11:35 pm »
I see rainbows, but that isn't the reason.  They really aren't that bothersome in the HD2s these days--although with NTSC material, can be an issue.

DLP, with all its sharpness, has an inability to create a smooth, film-like picture.  It looks "fake" after awhile, and the sharpness starts to bother me.  That sharpness also means I can't watch it for 5 hours (ie. college football) straight without my eyes starting to strain.  I wouldn't call it headaches, but the picture is somewhat fatiguing.  It is the antithesis of a CRT at times.

I have always wanted to try a DILA, and now prices are comparable to DLPs so I can.  No rainbows, better color, and more film-like.  Of course, contrast is going to be a bigger issue.  That said, I owned a PLV-70, and the contrast wasn't too big a deal.

Also, i can get an anamorphic lens if i wish that will give 1400x1050 resolution for HD that should be spectacular.  Problem is a might need a scalar to do it all, so gonna take baby steps first.

KeithR

ps. I will run HD and DVD (via dvi) as my sources.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 26 Sep 2003, 01:22 am »
Guess it's in the eye of the beholder, KeithR.  I watch football on DLP from 12 o'clock noon til 11 at nite in DLP with no problem.  That said, I would like to try DLI-A, but another projector is NOT in my budget! :nono:

I really can't say I've ever seen an LCD I could live with; the space between the pixels is too great; and the "screen door effect" drives me nuts.  I've heard the newer ones pack the pixels a bit tighter, though, so maybe it's viable now.  Poor black level, tho, even compared to DLP... Although again, this may be better in this years models, too.

Ears

« Reply #28 on: 9 Oct 2003, 04:00 am »
Got an x1 last week and all I can say is wow...it may not have the resolution of my little 35 inch Toshiba cinema series f 90, but at 1/3 the cost, it is an unbelievable bargain.

The best part is that there is no rptv to muck up the 2 channel sound.
I now have a picture size that matches my HT sonics..and two relatives who recently spent 3-4 times as much as the x1 on RPTV's, only to have a smaller screen whith  slightly less resolution than the x1 in progressive mode whith enhanced widescreen dvd's.

Standeman

CRT still king of the hill.
« Reply #29 on: 20 Oct 2003, 05:17 am »
Just thought I would add my two cents worth of DLP/LCD vs CRT debate. I have no doubt that DLP or DLI-A are the future and that when my trusty CRT finally gives up the ghost that I will replace it with one of these technologies but based on what I have seen to date they have a long way to go.

A mate of mine got bitten by the AV bug after recently visiting my home. He invested in some high end audio and a top range DLP projector (an In Focus model). Having conducted some direct comparisons on reference discs, there are no comparisions. The new technology was weaker in every area except brightness (with the added disadvantage that the image was extremely noisy). The lack of black levels can be remedied to some extent with Neutral Density filters and/or some of the better quality grey screens (which I do not have but the vaqrious ND filters have similar effects). The colours didn't seem natural to me (the yellows looked a bit green compared to CRT) and the image was not really "film like". All in all a good try but still a way to go until the King is toppled.

In the case of LCD, although significant improvement has been made I think the technology is approaching the limits of potential improvement. Besides I seen a few older models with pixel drop out and this problem is enough to convince me that it is a bad investment.

FYI listed below is my equipment:

DVD: Sony S9000ES
Video: Panasonic SVHS
Processor: Yamaha DSP AZI (with amps disconnected)
Amps: 6 X Norh le Amps
Speakers: 6 X Paradigm Monitor 9s, 2 x Paradigm Mini Monitor front effects speakers (for movies only)
Subwoofers: 3 x Norh subwoofer 11
Cables: Audioquest.
Audio Filters: single pole passive high pass in line filters using Audiocap capacitors

Projector: Runco IDP980 Ultra
Screen: Stewart Electomask 1.85:1 aspect ratio 3 metres wide
Video Processor: iScan pro
Video cables: videoquest