10B sub channel imbalance.

hawkeye99

10B sub channel imbalance.
« on: 1 Jan 2021, 01:51 pm »
This unit is new to me. The crossover is inserted between a bryston preamp and amp. There is about a 3 dB between left and right channels. I`ve double checked cables and no difference. I can use the high pass level or the balance knob to balance things but it bothers me that there is that much difference between channels. Is it a quirk or should it be sent in for a check up? There is 2 or 3 years warranty remaining.
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2021, 08:01 pm by hawkeye99 »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: 10B sub channel imbalance.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2021, 02:02 pm »
This unit is new to me. The crossover in inserted between a bryston preamp and amp. There is about a 3 dB between left and right channels. I`ve double checked cables and no difference. I can use the high pass level or the balance knob to balance things but it bothers me that there is that much difference between channels. Is it a quirk or should it be sent in for a check up? There is 2 or 3 years warranty remaining.

HI

There should not be any imbalance between channels assuming the cables are fine - maybe check by replacing all the left channel interconnects with the right channels.

Email Mike at Bryston and he will assist you in getting it checked - mpickett@bryston.com

james

hawkeye99

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2021, 02:08 pm »
Thanks James.

cameraman

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2021, 05:33 pm »
This unit is new to me. The crossover is inserted between a bryston preamp and amp. There is about a 3 dB between left and right channels. I`ve double checked cables and no difference. I can use the high pass level or the balance knob to balance things but it bothers me that there is that much difference between channels. Is it a quirk or should it be sent in for a check up? There is 2 or 3 years warranty remaining.

At the risk of being obvious and following trouble shooting 101, step 1, is it plugged in, step 2, is the amplifiers Input Sensitivity (Gain) Switch set the same for both channels.

hawkeye99

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2021, 06:18 pm »
At the risk of being obvious and following trouble shooting 101, step 1, is it plugged in, step 2, is the amplifiers Input Sensitivity (Gain) Switch set the same for both channels.

That did cross my mind but that checked out ok. Thanks though.

hawkeye99

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jan 2021, 10:03 am »
Is Mike on vacation? I've sent out 2 emails and filled out an on-line form over the last 2 weeks and nobody is replying.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2021, 10:42 am »
I will check for you

james