Goodbye B60

GrooveControl

Goodbye B60
« on: 31 Dec 2020, 01:23 am »
I just noticed on the Bryston site that the B60 has been retired. Not sure when that happened. oh well, nice run.  I guess all goods things come to an end eventually.

Personally,  I like that unit so much that own two of them. I've commented before that with both a tape loop and main-in\pre-out  that there are countless uses for that device.  Would love to have seen a B80 replace it, that adds remote power and remote input selection in a similar form factor. 

While the B135 looks awesome, it's quite a bit more in power, size and money, and as far as I can tell, does not have true tape monitor functionality. So won't really fill the gap left by discontinuing the B60.   

Thanks Bryston for having made the B60.  The design is an amazing blend of simplicity and functionality.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Goodbye B60
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2020, 01:28 am »
Bad news for music lovers
this unit was a SE output
a rare feature in the market
specially useful with FR drivers.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2020, 04:01 am by FullRangeMan »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2020, 02:08 am »
Hi Folks,

Yes sadly we were not selling enough of them to make it cost effective to produce.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2020, 01:42 pm »
...not a matter of sound quality. more a matter of features regarding its price-tag, i guess.

al.

veloceleste

« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2020, 07:58 pm »
23 years is a good run without major redesigns!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2021, 06:54 pm »

...it is for sure, Veloceleste! :thumb:

al.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2021, 09:49 pm »
Sad to see it discontinued. I still have mine with all the bells and whistles, upgraded outputs, both DAC and remote  :green:

Metal Forever

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2021, 03:44 pm »
I purchased a used B60R about 8 yrs ago, upgraded the output transistors to the newest design and has been working flawlessly.  I think my unit is about 20 yrs old (date code 604) but has been serving me well on daily basis in my home office.  I trust will keep working well for many more years to come.  GREAT equipment!