Auditioning tomorrow- need recs

JMW73

Auditioning tomorrow- need recs
« on: 12 Apr 2022, 01:13 am »
Heading to a store with headphones to audition tomorrow. What should I listen to in the sun $500 range?

No preference open vs closed. Mostly progressive rock, classic rock, grunge, hard rock. Mix in some pop, rap, country in there. Dynamics and balanced frequency response is important. Followed by detail, image, soundstage. I’ll be using them with various setups so the related equipment isn’t super important. I will be using an amp, so they can be hard to drive.

Posted this in the wrong area… sorry. Can’t figure out how to move or delete.

I messaged the moderator for this area and I’m hoping he’ll move this to the correct area.

***It's since been moved; thank you!***
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2022, 08:07 pm by JMW73 »

Jeff_From_Michigan

Re: Auditioning tomorrow- need recs
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2022, 01:30 pm »
I am very happy with my Sennheiser HD 650's. Tons of reviews over the years.

Curious what other posters will say about planar headphones, as I've never heard one.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2022, 05:32 pm »
While I do not own anything decent quality headphones, there have been some good options from several companies I've tried. Hifiman sundara had a lot of body and presence, with not being overly bright up top. Sennheiser 6-series are all midrange masters with tons of detail and sparkle but give up a little of the low end grunt. Grado are all about tone and texture but their on-ear lineup gets a little uncomfortable for hours of listening. Really it comes down to WHAT type of music you're primarily enjoying and HOW you like to listen. I would opt for open back if you can control outside noise and won't bother anyone. Just a more spacious and realistic sound IMO. My best advice is LISTEN TO THEM ALL! Find a track or two you know really well that has background detail and lots of emotion, and just listen to the subtle (or not so subtle) differences between them.

Have fun!

JMW73

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2022, 06:06 pm »
Was disappointed… they ONLY had Grado. They sounded very good but I need a little more dynamics and life. He recommended a KLH that they were out of stock of.

I think it’s gonna take a lot more listening and I need to find someone around here who has a good demo stock.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2022, 11:07 am »
It's been many years since I've seen a brick and mortar with a good headphone selection.  It sounds to me like you're unsure of what you want, but that you want to listen and find out what that is.  I've owned some of the wood bodied Grado RS2 and they're wonderful if you like that type of sound, detailed, direct, dynamic.  It's said they were voiced for electric guitar and I'd agree.  Although they were great phones I found myself listening less and less to them so sold em.  I ended up keeping the planer set of Hifiman HE400i, the opposite of Grado sound, deep and resonant.  It you like Grado you'd think these are thick sounding, at $500 you can move up the line a bit.  For something in the middle of those two I'd recommend Beyerdynamic.  Sweeter and more harmonic than Grado, but still impactful and dynamic.  At your price point I like the T90, the lower priced version of the T1. 

If you can find a CanJam near you it will be a revelation, hundreds of different phones and amps all in one place, great deals too.  I wouldn't worry about picking the wrong headphone though, most head freaks have multiple sets for their changing moods, so if you get into it you won't stay with just one.  I sold all of mine off a few years ago and looking around I still have four sets.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2022, 11:19 am »
The Hifiman Edition XS is supposed to be the new hotness at $500. Probably unlikely to find one to audition but if you bought on Amazon I assume you could return. https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-XS-Headphones-Audiophiles-Studio-Black/dp/B09PH1N67T Plenty of reviews online, you may find some with your specific taste.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2022, 11:20 am »
I sold all of mine off a few years ago and looking around I still have four sets.

Me too  :duh:

JMW73

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2022, 08:06 pm »
It's been many years since I've seen a brick and mortar with a good headphone selection.  It sounds to me like you're unsure of what you want, but that you want to listen and find out what that is.  I've owned some of the wood bodied Grado RS2 and they're wonderful if you like that type of sound, detailed, direct, dynamic.  It's said they were voiced for electric guitar and I'd agree.  Although they were great phones I found myself listening less and less to them so sold em.  I ended up keeping the planer set of Hifiman HE400i, the opposite of Grado sound, deep and resonant.  It you like Grado you'd think these are thick sounding, at $500 you can move up the line a bit.  For something in the middle of those two I'd recommend Beyerdynamic.  Sweeter and more harmonic than Grado, but still impactful and dynamic.  At your price point I like the T90, the lower priced version of the T1. 

If you can find a CanJam near you it will be a revelation, hundreds of different phones and amps all in one place, great deals too.  I wouldn't worry about picking the wrong headphone though, most head freaks have multiple sets for their changing moods, so if you get into it you won't stay with just one.  I sold all of mine off a few years ago and looking around I still have four sets.

Yes, absolutely, I'm trying to figure out what I want.  Thanks for the help/recommendations.

JMW73

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2022, 08:35 pm »
The Hifiman Edition XS is supposed to be the new hotness at $500. Probably unlikely to find one to audition but if you bought on Amazon I assume you could return. https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-XS-Headphones-Audiophiles-Studio-Black/dp/B09PH1N67T Plenty of reviews online, you may find some with your specific taste.

Thanks, I'll have to look into those.