Transparent earplug suggestions

Carlman

Transparent earplug suggestions
« on: 2 Mar 2022, 12:53 pm »
I didn't know where to post this so feel free to move it.
I'm looking for transparent earbuds for wearing at concerts.  I have very sensitive hearing, but I love live music... I have worn ear plugs for years but they usually don't cut enough or just don't work or become uncomfortable, and generally have a warm signature to them... Because they cut all sounds at the same time and the bass comes through louder than the treble.
I know there are some out there, I just didn't know if anyone had any personal experience with some that they could highly recommend. 
Thanks
Carl

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Transparent earplug suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2022, 01:17 pm »

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2022, 02:08 pm »
I would recommend custom moulded ear plugs, you will not get anything more comfortable than that.

I do use Etymotic IEM’s and those triple flange unit are very uncomfortable to me, which is why I went the custom route.
You can buy the filters from Etymotic that can be fitted into custom moulds, it’s pricey as you need to go to an audiologist for an impression.
See the attached image, that is what I use. It attenuates the noise by up to 27db, while not affecting the quality of sound too much. I never leave home without it.
Here is a link to ER25 that attenuates up to 25db. www.etymotic.com/product/er25-filter/

Craig B

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2022, 05:25 pm »
I've had Etymotic plugs for many years and have been very happy with them.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2022, 08:12 pm »
Ask Sol, he uses them on transmitter sites. Molded to fit, and flattish FR.

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2022, 12:13 am »
Thanks all. I had found "Eargasm" plugs... But the site was too pushy, and I figured it was likely not that great.  However I like the name.  :)

I'll check into the custom mould route too.
Thanks again

Carlman

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2022, 11:56 pm »
I went to an audiologist today... Bottom line is they want $200 for a set of silicone molded ear plugs from Westone. I come with two filters, a 30 DB cut and a 15 or whatever you want...

And that price, I would prefer to spend an extra $100 and get speakers with that.... And I'd have a set of IEMs that are also ear plugs.  It's hard to justify 200 just to block sound, supposedly evenly.

I did found this one other option.. but it's still in the high end of the price range I was hoping for.
https://www.soundbrenner.com/shop-minuendo?g_network=x&g_productchannel=online&g_adid=&g_locinterest=&g_keyword=&g_campaign=account&g_adtype=pla&g_keywordid=&g_ifcreative=&g_locphysical=1021085&g_acctid=256-581-0868&g_productid=3P-MI-1&g_source={sourceid}&g_merchantid=124442821&g_placement=&g_partition=&g_campaignid=16371783048&g_adgroupid=&g_ifproduct=product&gclid=CjwKCAiA4KaRBhBdEiwAZi1zzgnEurYUB6UUDURyIXjvPaZdWNiDMN7s3z6mS-paH5c5d6-UltOc0xoCJ7oQAvD_BwE

Carlman

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2022, 01:16 am »
I would recommend custom moulded ear plugs, you will not get anything more comfortable than that.

I do use Etymotic IEM’s and those triple flange unit are very uncomfortable to me, which is why I went the custom route.
You can buy the filters from Etymotic that can be fitted into custom moulds, it’s pricey as you need to go to an audiologist for an impression.
See the attached image, that is what I use. It attenuates the noise by up to 27db, while not affecting the quality of sound too much. I never leave home without it.
Here is a link to ER25 that attenuates up to 25db. www.etymotic.com/product/er25-filter/

So does Ety make the situation where you can use the same mould with filters as you can with their IEM headphones?  Or am I misunderstanding?

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2022, 03:44 am »
So does Ety make the situation where you can use the same mould with filters as you can with their IEM headphones?  Or am I misunderstanding?

I believe so, I had both and used the same tips on both. BTW Ety now makes dual flange tips that are claimed to provide comparable isolation to the triple flange but with MUCH better comfort IME. The excruciating triple flange tips are still available for the masochists out there.

One last thing, I found the custom tips to provide a moderate boost in isolation at a not very moderate increase in cost. The silicone tips seem to deteriorate over time due to the fact that ear wax is very acidic. (My last ones were almost as clear as glass at first but eventually turned foggy and seemingly harder. Also, the ear canal changes shape over time (really!) so they may only be effective for a few years. A good fitting '[size=78%]universal' tip makes more sense to me.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]BTW here is Periodic Audio's blog post about earwax and eartip materials:[/size]
WTF is sebum?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2022, 03:55 pm »
I will move this topic to the Headphone Circle where it belongs.

toocool4

« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2022, 04:34 pm »

No they don’t, the filters and IEM’s are different shape / length so you can’t use the same one. I had a set for my ER-4S and a different one for the filters. I now have the ER-4SR, but I use Comply tips with them.
Yes they are pricey but it’s the most comfortable earplugs I have had. I think I paid around £140 for my moulds and filters, can’t remember how much I paid for the moulds that went with the ER-4S.