Why did you choose Omega?

Adriel

Why did you choose Omega?
« on: 14 Jun 2009, 07:08 am »
I am interested to know the path you took, and why you took it. For example, did you try horns, electrostatics, or open baffle? What type of sound were you looking for, and what were you missing? What did you learn? What do you look forward to in the future?

Due to my past experience with aluminum/titanium speakers, I realized that each material will vibrate imparting its own inherent sonic characteristic, and that no amount of engineering could mask it. From there, I figured it was best to have the same material on the driver across all frequencies for consistency of sound. For example not a 2-way kevlar/silk dome. Then based on that I decided to go with the least offensive driver materials possible. Preferrably not metal or synthetic, but a natural material. And I preferred it to be a point-source design.

It just so happened that Omega were higher efficiency than normal, and best with tube amplification. This opened me up to the tube world, although I resisted initially by trying Class-T and MOSFET hybrid.

Currently I am trying everything I can to avoid starting a turntable and vinyl collection since I do not want the hassle nor to spend time archiving to hi-rez.

My dream Omega would probably be a giant 15 inch XRS driver.

ZLS

Re: Why did you choose Omega?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2009, 05:05 am »
     The Speakers i had before Omega were a home made (not by me) Vintage 12" Jensen with a aluminum compression horn tweeter.  I had always been intrigued by single driver speakers, and contacted Louis on the basis of price.  He sent me to someone to audition his 4 1/2" Fostex monitor, and I was hooked.  The emotional connection with the music that a single driver speaker allows was and is exactly what I was and continue to look for. 
    I have stayed with Omega Speakers because Louis main focus is making his speakers sound better; not just to make money.  He keeps improving his product whether by using different drivers, different driver materials, different magnets, and last but certainly not least different cabinet
configurations.  Right now I am awaiting a pair of Open Baffle Speakers that Louis is building for me.

Regarding a 15" XRS Driver, try to see if you can listen to a pair of Deep Hemp Woofers running in Stereo.  Freakin' Amazing! 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2009, 05:27 am »
Zack,

Care to share any details about the configuration of your upcoming OBs?  :)

-Roy

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2009, 06:52 pm »
Over the past 30+ years I have owned the following speakers:

Magnaplaner T1B (older brother to current Magnapan, made by Magnapan and distributed by Audio Research) - Too power hungry and too compressed. Took a large space to operate.

Klipsch LaScala - Dynamic, but very colored. Played loud but lacked deep base. Poor imaging. Did not keep for long.

JR149 monitors - Nice for what they were. Began a life-long appreciation for monitors in terms of great imaging and detail.

Cizek KA1s - Nice (and beautiful) monitor speaker. Sold them two years ago after more than 25 years of ownership. Sold for about what I originally paid on sales rep accommodation. Again monitor speaker.

Acoustic Energy AE-1 (early '90s vintage), piano black monitors. Very nice imaging, detailed, but bright on some recordings. Power hungry. Ran balanced from Ayre amp. Paired with Vandersteen 2W, my fist foray into subs. Now I?m hooked on fast subs paired with monitor speakers.

Omega Compact Hemps, Skyland Stands, ACI Force XL sub. Moved from power hungry speakers and powerful amp to minimalist system (30 watt Red Wine Signature 30/30.2). First time I was ever content with the sound I was getting. Attribute to cleaner amp technology and Louis' single-drivers.

Now: Omega Super 6 Monitors, Skyland Stands, Omega Deep Hemp. Alnicos bring soother mids and better articulation in all areas (especially mid-bass). 6" Alnicos monitors have great imaging! Added RWA Isabella tube linestage with built-in DAC. Sell my Wadia CDP and move to streaming audio from Macbook. The system sounds amazingly real.

Few if any systems I've heard in showrooms, friends homes, etc. begin to compare to what I now hear. Also did a complete room acoustical treatment with GIK sound panels / bass traps. For the first time ever -- with the Omegas -- I really feel an emotional connection with the performers.

Very happy and no longer looking at gear with a longing to upgrade.

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2009, 03:20 pm »
Hi all!

I have been MIA for a while and am trying to catch up on what's happening here at Omega Circle.

Due to an "opportunity I couldn't pass up" (that'd be a job) I have been working away from home for nearly 6 months and I still have another 1-1/2 years to go. I have only been home a few times since spring and my Super Alinico's are starved for attention! I'll have to break them in all over again.

I purchased mine for several reasons. They are sanely priced, They are beautiful, oh and did I mention--they make wonderful music! Damn, I need to get home!!!  :drool:

Thanks Louis, for making such a great product.
Cheers,
Gary

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2009, 09:01 pm »
Many thanks for all the great posts and I appreciate all the kind words. I will stay with the single driver and affordability and get the best sound that's possible. It's always leading me to more driver development and cabinet design. The OB project should be next and the alnico 4.5 is being worked on now.

Thanks again,
Louis

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2009, 10:19 am »
I played with a variety of conventional speakers and ss amps for over 10 years. I never had the cash to have over 10k (retail) or so invested in the system, and always bought used so I didn't lose money when I wanted to try something new. It was fun and I learned a lot, but like so many, I continued to change components and speakers looking for something that would keep me happy long-term. I also played with room setup and cables, but it never really got "there".

What got me into Omega was researching a new system for a smaller room I was moving into because I was going back to school. I had bipolar speakers before I bought the Omegas, but the new space wasn't big enough for them. I went to a local hi-fi shop and asked if they had any high effeciency speakers and low power tube amps to try out, but they didn't carry that type of equipment. The manager of the store recommended Omega after hearing them at a show... they were more money than I was planning on spending, but Louis had a one-off pair of 4.5" XRS he could give me a better deal on. I bought them, initailly using them with a Trends t-amp. I could hear the promise, but it didn't deliver fully until I built a tube amp for them (in my avatar). The result of the el34 SET, built from a Tubelab Simple SE ( http://www.tubelab.com/ ) pcb, a ecc88 preamp, and a good digital source has made for a system I am finally happy with. I don't feel the need to tweak it or try other components. I will make the updates that Louis recommends for the Super 3 XRS cabinet, and buy the Alnico drivers when they are available, but other than that I think that's it. I'm done.... finished spending money and finished trying to find what's missing from my system.

I have listened to A LOT of other systems, and attended RMAF twice. You might be able to do better than Omegas and a simple tube amp, but I believe your budget will need to be an order of magnitude higher and even then you might not do any better.

Kimo

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2009, 10:08 pm »
Louis is a much worse poker player than he realizes.  I raised him 20.00.  He called and raised me a pair of Super Hemps.  I called him with a Queen high flush to his pair of Tens.  The rest is history. :)

Actually, I heard another single driver speaker at someone's house and was intrigued.  I called Louis to discuss his product based upon the internet reviews I had read.  He spent a good deal of time explaining his approach, his ideas on good sound, etc.  Bought my first pair of Super Hemps based on this conversation and never looked back.  Great speaker, great service.

Louis O

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2009, 12:00 am »
Thanks Dave and the alnico in the XRS are going to happen. I'm making sure of this. This is the next step.

Hi Kimo,

I can't play to save my life. Many thanks for you kind words.

Louis