How do you have your Deep Hemp subs hooked up?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
How do you have your Deep Hemp subs hooked up?
« on: 29 Jun 2008, 02:11 pm »
Amp level?

Speaker level?

Line level?

I have been using the amp level connections, but I can't do it with a new amp and need to go to either speaker or line level.

George

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Re: How do you have your Deep Hemp subs hooked up?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2008, 03:14 pm »
I'm using line level connections and think it sounds just fine.

--Jerome

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2008, 03:24 pm »
I have been using the amp level connections, but I can't do it with a new amp and need to go to either speaker or line level.

Hi George,

What do you mean by this?  You are now using the speaker level inputs of the DeepHemp and are converting to line-level?  Why can't you use the speaker level inputs with the new amp?

Vinnie

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2008, 06:15 pm »

Hi George,

What do you mean by this?  You are now using the speaker level inputs of the DeepHemp and are converting to line-level?  Why can't you use the speaker level inputs with the new amp?

Vinnie

Vinnie,

With my Atma-Sphere M-60's I was using the amp level connections per Louis' recommendation with no issues.

I just got in a new amp (a DIY using Nelson Pass' designs - think of a combination of the XA/Aleph/J series in one amp) and the person who built it recommended not connecting a sub amp directly to the amps binding posts.  I believe he mentioned something about the amp being truly balanced and that it would cause problems.

George
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2008, 01:17 am by zybar »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2008, 01:16 am »

Hi George,

Vinnie

Vinnie,

With my Atma-Sphere M-60's I was using the amp level connections per Louis' recommendation with no issues.

I just got in a new amp (a DIY using Nelson Pass' designs - think a combination of the XA/Aleph/J series in one amp) and the person who built it recommended not connecting a sub amp directly to the amps binding posts.  I believe he mentioned something about the amp being truly balanced and that it would cause problems.

George

Hi George,

It will not be a problem with the DeepHemp because the left and right negative speaker level inputs of this sub are NOT tied together.  The RWA 30.2 also has balanced speaker outputs (the L and R negative amp outputs are not tied together as with most amps) and I made sure that the DeepHemp did not short them together.... it does NOT.  So go ahead with the speaker inputs (note, this might not be the case with another sub, but I know that the DeepHemp is fine with this).

Happy Listening,

Vinnie

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2008, 02:35 am »
The other question is if the speaker level inputs on the Deep Hemp's are tied to ground. Some sub amps do this but IMO it would be good to know before connecting an amp that has floating outputs. I'm guessing they are not since Vinnie already checked to make sure they weren't tied together but it wouldn't hurt to verify. :)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2008, 02:42 am »
Well I hooked up the subs via the speaker level connections just to be safe.

So right now I have the Deep Hemps subs directly connected to the Revolutions.

Since I switched amps, I can't really compare the speaker level connection vs. amp level connection.

George

mgalusha

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2008, 02:47 am »
There should be almost no difference in hooking them up at the speaker vs the amp. Just the L/R/C of the speaker cable, which is not going to make much difference at that frequency. The levels will be the same or close enough that it would be very difficult to even measure the difference.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2008, 02:59 am »
The other question is if the speaker level inputs on the Deep Hemp's are tied to ground. Some sub amps do this but IMO it would be good to know before connecting an amp that has floating outputs. I'm guessing they are not since Vinnie already checked to make sure they weren't tied together but it wouldn't hurt to verify. :)

Hi Mike,

They are not tied to GND... there is high impedance (I forgot what I measured a while back) between them.  This is why I mentioned to George that it is safe for his application...

Vinnie

mgalusha

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2008, 03:17 am »
They are not tied to GND... there is high impedance (I forgot what I measured a while back) between them.  This is why I mentioned to George that it is safe for his application...

I figured that was the case but I killed an amp that way long ago so I'm a little paranoid when it comes to sub inputs. :)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2008, 03:31 am »

I figured that was the case but I killed an amp that way long ago so I'm a little paranoid when it comes to sub inputs. :)

Haha... I was just as paranoid when I wanted to try it with my 30.2 for the first time, so I had to get out the DMM and do a little probing.  I ended up trying both the line level and speaker level inputs on the DeepHemp and preferred the speaker level inputs with the 30.2, but I'm sure this is system dependent as usual, YMMV, etc.  :)

Louis O

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jul 2008, 08:29 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

Many thanks for clearing this up and all the testing you did for me.

I do prefer the high level connection myself and this to my ears is the best connection.

Thanks again,
Louis