BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #100 on: 14 Feb 2011, 10:18 pm »
A little more off topic, does the BDP include the linux usb audio drivers?   One could use the BDP as device to compare USB DACs and SPDIF DACs.Repo

Not sure on that - will check.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #101 on: 14 Feb 2011, 10:21 pm »
Thanks for the quick response.
I have tried all the systems to control the bdp1 with both PC and ipod with IPAD, what I like best 'is Brystonmaxi with IPAD, with minor improvements that I wrote some post above would be perfect.
Last thing, is theoretically a better self-powered external HD or external HD 2.5 "which is powered directly via USB?
Thanks

Hi pimando,

I do not think it would matter as long as the USB 2 drive was not requiring more that .5 amps to run.  I do find the powered drives seem to be mechanically noisier.

james

Napalm

« Reply #102 on: 14 Feb 2011, 11:07 pm »
(and might shut NAP up :) a little)

When hell will freeze....  :lol:

Now seriously, we had this discussion some time ago when the BDP was still on the drawing board. Good old Nap and several other (inconvenient) people asked at that time if the BDP will have a "world clock" connector or some other clock sync mechanism.

James said at that time that since the BDP is being designed as a companion to the BDA, and the BDA does not have this ability, then they won't include it with the BDP either.

Nap.

terrycym

« Reply #103 on: 15 Feb 2011, 10:34 am »
Returning to Bryston Max...

My music folders on my memory stick contain FLACs named 01 <Title1>, 02 <Title2> etc
This way they appear on my Windows PC in the correct order ie the order they appear on the original CD
But when I view the folder contents in Max, the order is all higgldy piggldy

Why is this so.

James, you'll see this on the jpeg I sent you last week.

Terry

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #104 on: 15 Feb 2011, 12:49 pm »
Returning to Bryston Max...

My music folders on my memory stick contain FLACs named 01 <Title1>, 02 <Title2> etc
This way they appear on my Windows PC in the correct order ie the order they appear on the original CD
But when I view the folder contents in Max, the order is all higgldy piggldy

Why is this so.

James, you'll see this on the jpeg I sent you last week.

Terry

Hi Terry,

i have never seen that on my setup -not sure why that is?

What ripper are you using?

james

terrycym

« Reply #105 on: 15 Feb 2011, 03:30 pm »
Hi Terry,

i have never seen that on my setup -not sure why that is?

What ripper are you using?

james

They're just files surely?
Should not they appear alpha numerically?

I use dbPowerAmp but a lot of my stuff I get on line "pre-ripped"

Terry

werd

« Reply #106 on: 15 Feb 2011, 03:36 pm »
When hell will freeze....  :lol:

Now seriously, we had this discussion some time ago when the BDP was still on the drawing board. Good old Nap and several other (inconvenient) people asked at that time if the BDP will have a "world clock" connector or some other clock sync mechanism.

James said at that time that since the BDP is being designed as a companion to the BDA, and the BDA does not have this ability, then they won't include it with the BDP either.

Nap.

Uhg  :scratch:... it cold here now. I get bdp today..... scratch. I hope it got good clock like u say or might take bak..... uhg

« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2011, 07:49 pm by werd »

JimB-MN

« Reply #107 on: 15 Feb 2011, 04:02 pm »
Thanks for the quick response.
I have tried all the systems to control the bdp1 with both PC and ipod with IPAD, what I like best 'is Brystonmaxi with IPAD, with minor improvements that I wrote some post above would be perfect.
Last thing, is theoretically a better self-powered external HD or external HD 2.5 "which is powered directly via USB?
Thanks

Have you checked out MPad (iPad version of MPoD) to be released in a month or so?  If it works the way the demo presents it, it will be another leap forward for the BDP. 

http://www.katoemba.net/makesnosenseatall/2011/01/04/mpad-screencast/

James, it may not have been what you intended but I'm afraid the BDP is becoming a great server front-end as well as a great digital music transport! 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #108 on: 15 Feb 2011, 04:18 pm »
James, it may not have been what you intended but I'm afraid the BDP is becoming a great server front-end as well as a great digital music transport! 

Expand on that please :D

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #109 on: 15 Feb 2011, 04:22 pm »
Have you checked out MPad (iPad version of MPoD) to be released in a month or so?  If it works the way the demo presents it, it will be another leap forward for the BDP. 

http://www.katoemba.net/makesnosenseatall/2011/01/04/mpad-screencast/

Yes I was speaking with the gentleman that did the iPod interface and asked him about doing a custom interface for us - he sent me the info on the MPad and I shut up :thumb:

james

JimB-MN

« Reply #110 on: 15 Feb 2011, 05:10 pm »

Expand on that please :D

james

Two words - "Sooloos Killer!"   :lol: 

Now when can I expect my NTFS Read/Write software update? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #111 on: 15 Feb 2011, 05:15 pm »
Two words - "Sooloos Killer!"   :lol: 

Now when can I expect my NTFS Read/Write software update?

NTSF write - hopefully this summer :thumb:

james

Vipers

« Reply #112 on: 15 Feb 2011, 10:16 pm »
Hi guys, just got this sexy looking Chord Signature AES-EBU cable through, looking forward to comparing it to my Atlas S/Pdif cable, I'm hoping it sounds as good as it looks  :) :-

If there is no performance gain with the AES cable then at least we all know this will make a massive difference  :icon_twisted: :-

werd

« Reply #113 on: 15 Feb 2011, 10:28 pm »
Hi guys, just got this sexy looking Chord Signature AES-EBU cable through, looking forward to comparing it to my Atlas S/Pdif cable, I'm hoping it sounds as good as it looks  :) :-

If there is no performance gain with the AES cable then at least we all know this will make a massive difference  :icon_twisted: :-

That looks nice dude. What Atlas rca do you have?

werd

« Reply #114 on: 16 Feb 2011, 03:38 pm »
Got a question?.... How important is it to defrag your usb sticks? Do i even need to do that?

terrycym

« Reply #115 on: 16 Feb 2011, 03:40 pm »
Got a question?.... How important is it to defrag your usb sticks? Do i even need to do that?

I wouldn't bother

werd

« Reply #116 on: 16 Feb 2011, 03:48 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #117 on: 16 Feb 2011, 04:47 pm »

hi werd,

Defragging reduces the number of read/writes

james

Vipers

« Reply #118 on: 16 Feb 2011, 04:55 pm »
That looks nice dude. What Atlas rca do you have?

Hi werd,

At the moment I'm running Atlas 75ohm Opus Coaxial between the BDP and BDA and Navigator RCA's throughout the rest of the system.

Just about to order Atlas Mavros XLR's and speaker cable though, unfortunately I can't quite stretch to the pure silver Asimi range at £2500 per meter XLR  :o

werd

« Reply #119 on: 16 Feb 2011, 05:03 pm »
Hi werd,

At the moment I'm running Atlas 75ohm Opus Coaxial between the BDP and BDA and Navigator RCA's throughout the rest of the system.

Just about to order Atlas Mavros XLR's and speaker cable though, unfortunately I can't quite stretch to the pure silver Asimi range at £2500 per meter XLR  :o

Hi

Thats the one i use in 75 ohm, the atlas opus. I asked UHF about that Atlas opus (since they use it in their reference), if the BNC in opus was any better? They told me the  bnc they like best is the Atlas Opus in rca using the bnc adaptor from radio shack... I tried it and its better then the straightwire bnc to rca (loan) i was using by far. The adaptor is only like 8 bucks and you can get it at Source or Radio shack.