Upgrades to the Salk HT3...

Bingenito

« Reply #60 on: 17 Jul 2005, 05:15 am »
The only upgrade these speakers did not get was a solid wood cap for the ports in the lower back part of the HT3's...I just found out about that today.

That was another upgrade I had Jim do to mine. Since it was just for looks I did not mention it.

Enjoy the speakers!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #61 on: 17 Jul 2005, 05:24 am »
Marbles:
    Let the Honeymoon begin...
    [/list:u]
      Enjoy the new sounds...spin some of those cdr's (Bad Plus, Black Light)...and when their set up...maybe some picture's of the room, thanks Rob...have fun !!! :dance: [/list:u]
        Chris[/list:u]

zybar

• Volunteer
    • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
    « Reply #62 on: 17 Jul 2005, 12:33 pm »
    Quote from: Marbles
    Jim took some pictures that I'm sure will find their way here in the next few days.

Listening impressions mirror my earlier HT1 and HT3 listening sessions.

Some of the best bass I've heard, the whole audio image is very engaging...I get lost in the music rather than listening to it.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

Glad you are having the same response I had when I first got mine and continue to have all these months later!   :dance:

George

jermmd

« Reply #63 on: 17 Jul 2005, 02:24 pm »
    I want to see the pictures too.  I wonder if the high gloss finish shows well in photos.  Do any of the previously posted photos have high gloss? I need to pick out the finish for the speakers I'm having made and I think I want high gloss. Imagine High gloss and black stain on this Japanese Tamo Ash finish:

Bingenito

« Reply #64 on: 17 Jul 2005, 02:31 pm »
    I want to see the pictures too. I wonder if the high gloss finish shows well in photos. Do any of the previously posted photos have high gloss? I need to pick out the finish for the speakers I'm having made and I think I want high gloss. Imagine High gloss and black stain on this Japanese Tamo Ash finish:

Based on my conversation with Jim I think the high gloss will be hard to photograph. Between the reflective gloss finish and the figure of the wood you would need to be a real pro photographer to display what the speakers look like in person.

Not sure if any of the others were hand rubbed high gloss lacquer like Marbles.

I think your choice of finish would look incredible and have a nice contrast.

Marbles

« Reply #65 on: 17 Jul 2005, 03:55 pm »
    Quote from: lonewolfny42
    Enjoy the new sounds...spin some of those cdr's (Bad Plus, Black Light)...and when their set up...maybe some picture's of the room, thanks Rob...have fun !!! :dance:

The speakers look great, but according to my 10 YO daughter, don't "go" with the rest of the things in the room.  My wife was telling her to hush because she didn't want me buying all new HT gear top match the new speakers... :lol:

Anyway, my daughter is right, the new speakers far outclass most all the other things I have, except maybe the Teres turntable.  They sure are stunners to look at, and natural to listen too.  Since they don't go with the room so well, I'm reluctant to post pic's.  I do think that Jim will post some very nice ones, at least on his site.  

As far as what they sound like, I'll quote Jim when he first heard them..."I just hear music" ..." I don't know how I could build a better speaker"  "I don't hear anything that I would change...no weakness's at all"

I completely agree....

* I brought my speaker cables up to Jim's house, so it was Ridge Street Poiema! from the amp to XO's, and from XO's to drivers.

Bingenito

« Reply #66 on: 17 Jul 2005, 04:06 pm »
    Any comment on the tweaks (bypass caps, wire, BH5) we added or is it too soon to tell?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
    « Reply #67 on: 17 Jul 2005, 04:24 pm »
    Marbles :
      The speakers look great, but according to my 10 YO daughter, don't "go" with the rest of the things in the room.
        Well...I think they fit just perfect...... :lol: [/list:u]
          That's not Marble's room...its Chuck's.... :lol: [/list:u]
            Marbles room picture's are in his gallery....just having some fun... :wink: [/list:u]

Marbles

« Reply #68 on: 17 Jul 2005, 04:46 pm »
        snip: double post

Marbles

« Reply #69 on: 17 Jul 2005, 04:48 pm »
        Quote from: Bingenito
        Any comment on the tweaks (bypass caps, wire, BH5) we added or is it too soon to tell?

Jim thought they were better sonically than any other speaker he had made...which up until now was the Sonicap upgraded ones.

I suspect it is a combination of not having any binding posts in the signal path, the upgraded wiring and the bypass caps for the mids/tweets, and the BH5 cleaning up the bass which might also make the mids cleaner too.  I guess what I'm saying is we don't know what makes them so special, but the cumulative effect just works.

I heard you are using the cardas (not patented) binding posts.  You might want to reconsider if you can use spades on the speaker side.

Since I have not lived with the HT3's and only heard them once at his house and once at a Hotel (AK Fest).  I won't be able to give any impressions of increasing fidelity.

jsalk

« Reply #70 on: 17 Jul 2005, 05:09 pm »
        For those who requested, I have posted pics here:
        http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=20286.msg179570#179570

- Jim

zybar

• Volunteer
        « Reply #71 on: 17 Jul 2005, 05:14 pm »
        Well if somebody would buy some of my gear that is for sale, I could order my second pair of HT3's.

Once I receive them, I will be in the unique (I think) position of directly comparing a stock pair with an upgraded pair.

As of right now, I thinking of the following options on my second pair:

Cap Upgrade (SonicCap or VH Audio)
        Binding Post Upgrade (Cardas patented)
        Wiring Upgrade (TG Audio, VH Audio, or something else)
        Extra bracing
        BH5
        Crossovers in an external enclosure

Considering how good the stock pair of HT3's are, I can only imagine the new level the upgraded pair will be capable of.

George

kschac

« Reply #72 on: 17 Jul 2005, 09:22 pm »
        I received my HT-3's on Friday afternoon and have been able to get them up and running. Unfortunately, my listening time has been limited, and I probably won't get to listen to them a lot until next weekend. I will eventually post a detailed rview, but my preliminary impression is that, as fantastic as they look (see up in thread for Jim's photos), they sound even better. Very clear, clean and precise. Images are very palpable and solid. I listen mostly to jazz and these speakers really make great recordings shine, and lesser ones sound better than they used to.

I've been through a fair number of speakers in the past 15 years or so - 3 different Thiels, Waveform Mach Solo, Legacy Signature and Focus, VMPS RM40, and most recently Silverline La Folia. Of those, I liked the Waveform, Legacy Sig and La Folia the best. But the HT-3's sound is clearly superior to all of them. They also look far better and are smaller than almost all of them (higher WAF) At least so far, after about 6-8 hours of listening.

I agree with George that, as good as the speakers sound with out of the box(and they do), they sound even better with the Tact 2.2x RCS in the circuit (now featuring the Aberdeen power supply). Thanks for the suggetsion, George.

I will report back will more detailed impressions soon.

ekovalsky

« Reply #73 on: 17 Jul 2005, 09:35 pm »
        Quote from: kschac
        I agree with George that, as good as the speakers sound with out of the box(and they do), they sound even better with the Tact 2.2x RCS in the circuit (now featuring the Aberdeen power supply). Thanks for the suggetsion, George. ...

Assuming it is properly used, the RCS 2.2x will improve any system in any room.  I don't believe there are any tradeoffs using it with redbook CD, of course with hi-res digital and vinyl the added ADC stage may be problematic.  I have heard the ADC module is not as good as the DAC module, which is excellent and probably on par with most high end outboard models.

Enjoy your new speakers kschac!

Bingenito

« Reply #74 on: 18 Jul 2005, 01:22 am »
        Assuming it is properly used, the RCS 2.2x will improve any system in any room.

I will probably get flamed for this but I do not agree. While I do think there is a benefit to using TACT in a scenario that passive room correction is insufficient if the room issues can be resolved without active correction that would be my personal preference.

If you are going to actively bi or tri amp then I would accept the trade off.

In every decision there are compromises it is just a matter of which ones you are willing to accept.

Just my 2 cents  :flame:

ekovalsky

« Reply #75 on: 18 Jul 2005, 01:55 am »

I will probably get flamed for this but I do not agree. While I do think there is a benefit to using TACT in a scenario that passive room correction is insufficient if the room issues can be resolved without active correction that would be my personal preference.

In every decision there are compromises it is just a matter of which ones you are willing to accept.

No flames  :)

We probably just have a different philosophy and that's okay.  I prefer the sound to have as little room effect as possible, and there is only so much that can be done with passive treatments.  They certainly can do much good, but even an all out Rives design still has significant bass nodes.  The only way to get rid of them is some form of analog or digital parametric EQ.  Or listen with headphones !

zybar

• Volunteer
        « Reply #76 on: 18 Jul 2005, 02:07 am »

Bryan,

No flames, but I guess I am curious as to why you think that way?  What do you think the negative trade-off is?

I have lots of passive room correction (much more than probably 90% of the audiphiles out there) and the TacT still makes a very big imporvement in the enjoyment of my system.

Besides the passive room correction, I have spent hours properly positioning the speakers and listening position to try and minimize room nodes.

Again, the TacT or equivalent products aren't magic and can't address all situations.  It will work best when used properly and in conjunction with acoustic treatments and proper placement.

I promise you that your soon to arrive HT3's sound better with the TacT than without.

Too bad you live so far away as I would love to be able to let your hear my system and decide for yourself...

George

jsalk

« Reply #77 on: 18 Jul 2005, 03:17 am »
        A number of people have asked to have a list of potential HT3 upgrades.  And since that is the topic of this thread, I thought that perhaps this was the best place to post a link to a new page on our website featuring this information.

I will try to keep this page updated as additional customization requests are made and fullfilled.

Here is the link:
        http://www.salksound.com/ht3-upgrades.html

- Jim

Bingenito

« Reply #78 on: 18 Jul 2005, 03:24 am »
        Looks good Jim. Are you going to add Black Hole 5 to the list?

jsalk

« Reply #79 on: 18 Jul 2005, 03:37 am »
        Looks good Jim. Are you going to add Black Hole 5 to the list?

Thanks.  I knew I forgot something.

Done.

- Jim