Do you use or wish you were using a remote control with your BDP-1?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
One of things I miss from my Modwright Transporter compared to the BDP-1/BDA-1 combo is a remote control.

While I predominately used a web interface to control the Modwright Transporter via an iPad or laptop, I would use the remote to pause or when I was using the iPad or laptop for other activities (which happens a decent amount of the time).

Now that I use MPaD or sometimes Bryston MAX as my interface to the BDP-1, I find that there are times when I want to make an immediate action and can't because MPaD isn't the application I have up and running.

Do others have this challenge? 

How did you solve the challenge? 

Did you buy the Bryston remote?

If you have the Bryston remote, do you use it often?

If I don't buy the Bryston remote, I might just buy an older iPod Touch and run Bryston Mini2 on it to act as an always accessible interface.

George

yo2tup

it's not possible to program a universal remote to control it?

zybar

• Volunteer

Good question!

James?

George

BrysTony

One of things I miss from my Modwright Transporter compared to the BDP-1/BDA-1 combo is a remote control.

While I predominately used a web interface to control the Modwright Transporter via an iPad or laptop, I would use the remote to pause or when I was using the iPad or laptop for other activities (which happens a decent amount of the time).

Now that I use MPaD or sometimes Bryston MAX as my interface to the BDP-1, I find that there are times when I want to make an immediate action and can't because MPaD isn't the application I have up and running.

Do others have this challenge? 

How did you solve the challenge? 

Did you buy the Bryston remote?

If you have the Bryston remote, do you use it often?

If I don't buy the Bryston remote, I might just buy an older iPod Touch and run Bryston Mini2 on it to act as an always accessible interface.

George

I have the BR-2 remote but I rarely use it to control the BDA-1/BDP-1.  My primary use for it is to control the volume or mute the BP-26 preamp.  In my opinion its cost far outweighs its utility.  I believe that a universal remote should be able to do the job but I have not tried it.

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
I use my BR2 remote all the time.  I really do not want bright lights in the room (IPAD etc) when I am listening. So once I queue up the song list I want to listen to I use the BR2 to forward and pause and play selections.

james

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
The IR codes for the BP-26, along with the number buttons (0-15), are published on the Bryston site as a zip file.  I'm sure James will forward on the right addtl IR codes needed for the addtl functions (play, stop, etc).  They are all located on the BR2 remote.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
George, MPAD is able to run in the background (i.e double click and its there again) since IOS is multitasking now.

zybar

• Volunteer
George, MPAD is able to run in the background (i.e double click and its there again) since IOS is multitasking now.

Understood.

However, it still is multiple screens and clicks away when I am doing something like posting at AC at while listening.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
The IR codes for the BP-26, along with the number buttons (0-15), are published on the Bryston site as a zip file.  I'm sure James will forward on the right addtl IR codes needed for the addtl functions (play, stop, etc).  They are all located on the BR2 remote.

I have a Harmony remote lying around here somewhere...let me see if I can find it and get it work with the BDP-1.

George

skunark

I have a Harmony remote lying around here somewhere...let me see if I can find it and get it work with the BDP-1.

George

I've been using the Logitech remotes for a while now as an alternate remote to pause playback or skip to the next track.

zybar

• Volunteer
I've been using the Logitech remotes for a while now as an alternate remote to pause playback or skip to the next track.

Just programmed an older Harmony remote I wasn't using and it works! 

Thanks,

George

Alpha10

Just programmed an older Harmony remote I wasn't using and it works! 

Thanks,

George

I use the Harmony as well with the BDP, works really well, especially toggling the upsampling as I find it works with some tracks and not others.

Cheers

WBimmer

I use my BR-2 to control my system all the time.  I have my BDP networked to my computer via a CAT5 cable and I have yet to setup a wireless network in my home because I don't like the thought of having EMF's in such close proximity, so I use Minion on my computer to que up a playlist and then I'll sit down to some music and use the BR-2 to up the volume on songs I like and down on songs that don't inspire me to listen loud and hit the next button to see what comes up next.

I couldn't be without my BR-2.

Wayne.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
Having found the codes for the BDP-1 and the BDA-1 are about the same, this  is a useful combination for me, given (a) how incurably lazy I am and (b) where my equipment is placed.

My Logitech Harmony allows me to program an activity, which is this case allows me to turn the BDA and the BDP on and off simultaneously. (To date, I haven't found the BDP-1 listed as a separate Logitech compatible device - if anyone has, please let me know.)

I use mPad to control all the other playback functions. However, because I don't use the my iPad exclusively for mPad, sometimes it is more difficult to pause or stop the BDP-1 with mPad if I need to answer a phone, or my wife has come into the room to do - you know - wifely things - I find reaching out to pause or stop the BDP-1 is the easiest thing to do.

Dave

zybar

• Volunteer
There is a separate BDP-1 configuration for the Harmony remote.

I now have both the BDP-1 and BDA-1 programed and working.

George

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche

George.

Thanks, George, for the head's up. I hadn't checked for a few weeks, and there the BDP-1 is as a compatible device. Can't get it to do everything I want, but it is much better than before, meaning I can descend to even greater depths of laziness. Very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2011, 12:39 pm by DaveNote »

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'

Yes, if you have the codes or a remote you can copy its signals from.

yo2tup

George

awesome, how did you program the remote?  do you have codes die the Bda/bpa?

zybar

• Volunteer
awesome, how did you program the remote?  do you have codes die the Bda/bpa?

They are both part of the Harmony online database.

George