BDA-1 + Squeezebox Touch, anyone?

LewinskiH01

BDA-1 + Squeezebox Touch, anyone?
« on: 27 Jun 2011, 01:54 am »
Hello!! First post here.  :thumb:

I have my eye on a BDA-1 and I'm wondering what would be the best way to feed it with hi-rez files, apart from the BDP-1 which is out of the question for now, given price.

I have a Touch, which could feed the BDA-1 thru S/PDIF, and I wonder how good a match that would be. Anyone has experience with this combo?

Just in case, here's the rest on my setup: Lamm LL2 pre, McIntosh MC275 amp, B&W 804S speakers and Rel Storm III sub. Yeap, a tube guy in a SS forum - be friendly!!  :P

Thank you!

BrysTony

Re: BDA-1 + Squeezebox Touch, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2011, 11:51 am »
Before I got a BDP-1  :D I played hi res files up to 24/96 using a laptop computer and a Bel Canto USB Link 24/96 USB to SPDIF converter.  It worked OK but the BDP-1 just blows it away.  There are several manufacturers that make relatively inexpensive converters which can be used.  I have never used a Touch so I cant help you there.  Welcome to the forum.  Most of us don't bite!

Tony

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2011, 12:10 pm »
Welcome to the Forum.  I have a Squeezebox Touch and the BDA-1.  I have it for a bit but am waiting on a new computer before I do more extensive things with it.  I got an upgraded power supply for the Touch and I have a bunch of (WMA) lossless files from an old Zune player and have a couple of more hi-resolutuon items (24/96) which I've played a bit of.  It sounds good.  I am so far behind in things (music and movies) that I have not had the time with it I'd like.  I also play high resolution files through the BDA-1 via and Oppo BDP-83 and I use an HDMI audio de-embedder with it to play SACD at 88.2kHz.  My BDP-83 is modded and I prefer the sound via the BDA-1.

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2011, 12:12 pm »
I use the BDA-1 with an Audiophilleo1 USB to S/PDIF converter.

http://www.audiophilleo.com/

It is a very simple plug and play device that does 24/192khz on Windows, OSX, and Linux at full speed. The combo sounds terrific in my system. There is even a remote volume function on mine. The AP2 has a few less frills than AP1 and is half the cost with the same fundamental conversion engine and sonics. VERY highly recommended.

Tom

dj_seraphim

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2011, 05:25 pm »
I also use the Touch with my BDA/BP26/4BSST2 setup  via s/pdif. It's a great device, some people recommend not using the usb interface and using a dedicated server for better sound quality. I have done a comparison with an 'unburnt' in BDP, to my ears there was not alot of difference but the BDP has the advantage of playing files >96 and is more convenient.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2011, 05:37 pm »
I also use the Touch with my BDA/BP26/4BSST2 setup  via s/pdif. It's a great device, some people recommend not using the usb interface and using a dedicated server for better sound quality. I have done a comparison with an 'unburnt' in BDP, to my ears there was not alot of difference but the BDP has the advantage of playing files >96 and is more convenient.
That's actually good to hear.  When I do catch up on stuff (which may be a bit) and I have that new PC and have more stuff digitized and more hi-rez, I will at least be at the point that I may consider doing comparisons for a potential upgrade.

StigO

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2011, 05:10 pm »
Using it, and very happy (bda-1 and b-100). Very easy user interface, and using a iPad u got a fantastic remote control :) using regular flac it isnt that big a difference to the bdp.

mr_bill

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2011, 06:48 pm »
Using it, and very happy (bda-1 and b-100). Very easy user interface, and using a iPad u got a fantastic remote control :) using regular flac it isnt that big a difference to the bdp.

The Touch and BDP-1 using flac are not that big of a difference - sound wise?

StigO

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2011, 06:50 am »
The Touch and BDP-1 using flac are not that big of a difference - sound wise?
Yes sound wise, playing 44.1kHz/16-bit. I tried them both in my setup. As the music that I listen to isn't in High Res (yet), my conclusion was to wait... Bass was better on the BDP-1, but not worth the price difference. The touch has a better user interface if you got about 40000 songs…

dminches

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2011, 11:00 am »
I assume they were both feeding a DAC?  If so, which DAC?

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2011, 11:13 am »
Yes sound wise, playing 44.1kHz/16-bit. I tried them both in my setup. As the music that I listen to isn't in High Res (yet), my conclusion was to wait... Bass was better on the BDP-1, but not worth the price difference. The touch has a better user interface if you got about 40000 songs…

I suspect if you get a good power supply on the Touch the differences will narrow a bit.  It was a tough one as the power supply cost me a bit more than Touch which I got on sale for $180 from Logitech with a 40% off but it improved.

mr_bill

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2011, 01:50 pm »
I suspect if you get a good power supply on the Touch the differences will narrow a bit.  It was a tough one as the power supply cost me a bit more than Touch which I got on sale for $180 from Logitech with a 40% off but it improved.

Phil,
Which power supply are you using with your Touch?

StigO

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2011, 02:24 pm »
I assume they were both feeding a DAC?  If so, which DAC?
BDA-1

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:21 pm »
Phil,
Which power supply are you using with your Touch?

I'll send you a PM - I have a couple I can use with it.  I have an HDMI audio de-embedder I use too in the main system and it can take a power supply made for the Touch.  For reasonable, I'd go with the Channel Islands - ciaudio.com

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2011, 03:24 pm »
Bolder also has a couple of cheaper alternatives too

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 30 Jun 2011, 04:12 pm »

LewinskiH01

« Reply #16 on: 3 Jul 2011, 12:29 pm »
Thanks all for the good feedback!

I'm surprised to read the Touch to BDA wasn't too different from the BDP-1 to BDA. I was expecting the BDP to blow the Touch out of the water. I guess the Touch is a great little device. Do you guys perceive a big difference between the analog out of the Touch and analog out of BDA when driven by the Touch?

Anybody reclocking the digital out of the Touch and then sending it to the BDA? I'm thinking jitter is likely the weak side of the Touch digital out and this would feed the BDA a much improved signal.

Thanks again!

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jul 2011, 02:23 pm »
I've never tried the analog outs.  They are supposedly better than past Squeezebox products but with the BDA-1, I don't see the need.  I have multiple sources going to the BDA-1, including the Touch, a (modded) Oppo BDP-83, a HDMI de-embedder (with an upgraded power supply) and a Marantz DV9600 universal which I use as a CD transport.  I owned the BCD-1 right before the BDA-1 (the DAC was not available when I got the CD player).

LewinskiH01

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jul 2011, 05:20 pm »
Phil,

Thanks for the reply. I understand there wouoln't be a need for anybody owning a BDA-1 to run the Touch from the analog outs, but posted the question to gauge how large an improvement users thought the BDA was over the DAC inside the Touch.

Why do you use the Marantz and the Oppo into the BDA instead of only using only one of them? Not challenging, but rather thinking I'm missing something here.

What is an HDMI de-embedder?

Horacio

mpv

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jul 2011, 06:08 pm »
Auraliti PK 1OO  for $800 with a dac inside might be your answer or Auraliti L1000 without the dac option.
http://www.auraliti.com/L1000.html

Hello!! First post here.  :thumb:

I have my eye on a BDA-1 and I'm wondering what would be the best way to feed it with hi-rez files, apart from the BDP-1 which is out of the question for now, given price.

I have a Touch, which could feed the BDA-1 thru S/PDIF, and I wonder how good a match that would be. Anyone has experience with this combo?

Just in case, here's the rest on my setup: Lamm LL2 pre, McIntosh MC275 amp, B&W 804S speakers and Rel Storm III sub. Yeap, a tube guy in a SS forum - be friendly!!  :P

Thank you!