BP-20 pre stopped working!!!!!!!!

danman

BP-20 pre stopped working!!!!!!!!
« on: 1 Jun 2011, 12:30 am »
My BP-20 just stopped working and glows red lights. I noticed it was fluctuating volume of the left speaker up and down and then just stopped!
I had this happen about a year ago but it went away now it's back. Think I need to send it away! I have only had it 2 years and got it directly from Bryston factory. I think it was a model they had lying around never used but James could be more specific.
Agggggghhhhhh! :-(

danman

Re: BP-20 pre stopped working!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2011, 12:44 am »
Ok turned green again but volume on left speaker is lower and still fluctuates a bit!! Very strange. Maybe I should call tomorrow and ask some questions.
As I raise the volume, it comes back a bit but still drops out somewhat!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2011, 12:52 am »
Ok turned green again but volume on left speaker is lower and still fluctuates a bit!! Very strange. Maybe I should call tomorrow and ask some questions.
As I raise the volume, it comes back a bit but still drops out somewhat!

On all sources Dan?

james

danman

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2011, 12:55 am »
I'll have to check that.........but would that matter?After all it just shut down and turned red! I will plug into the second balanced input and let you know.

danman

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2011, 01:00 am »
Yes it does the same on the other sources as well!!! If I increase the volume it will cut in and out but not shut off just lower the volume. Weird. It's as if the balance control is off kilter

danman

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2011, 01:05 am »
Ok..........If I increase the volume to loud levels everything balances out!!! I'm lost on this one

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2011, 01:06 am »
Me too - email Mike at bryston - mpickett@bryston.com

james

danman

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jun 2011, 01:10 am »
Ok I will do that first thing in the morning. Thanks

danman

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jun 2011, 01:19 am »
Ok found the problem............Defective cable. Changed and all is good now! At least it would seem! I will keep tabs and see

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 1 Jun 2011, 01:31 am »
Ok found the problem............Defective cable. Changed and all is good now! At least it would seem! I will keep tabs and see

GREAT!

danman

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jun 2011, 05:52 pm »
Well...........found out I had a defective speaker crossover!!!!! They will be replaced! Another great dealer.
Still can't figure out how this would shut off my BP-20!!??

BrysTony

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2011, 06:03 pm »
If the cable from your preamp to amp was defective and shorting out intermittently it could cause the symptoms that you described.  I don't know how the crossover problem could affect the preamp.   :scratch:

Maybe the problem was the cable and it either caused the crossover problem or there were two unrelated problems.   :scratch:

Tony

danman

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jun 2011, 11:13 pm »
No they found a cold solder joint! No questions asked, new set on their way! Dealer is great! Checked all wires on pre but found nothing so maybe it was just me playing with it too much. However, like I said it did happen to me last year at one point so it could be just a coincidence that it happened during this time or an intermittent problem. If it happens again, I will call Bryston to see if I should send it in.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 1 Jun 2011, 11:22 pm »
No they found a cold solder joint! No questions asked, new set on their way! Dealer is great! Checked all wires on pre but found nothing so maybe it was just me playing with it too much. However, like I said it did happen to me last year at one point so it could be just a coincidence that it happened during this time or an intermittent problem. If it happens again, I will call Bryston to see if I should send it in.

Dan

What speakers are you using these days?

James

danman

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jun 2011, 12:32 am »
Focal Electra 1038BE.................Miss my Martin Logans though! Seriously thinking of another pair!! What can I say....I'm a ML lover. Tried a couple of others but my heart keeps going there!

GaryArthur

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jun 2011, 03:29 am »
Focal Electra 1038BE.................Miss my Martin Logans though! Seriously thinking of another pair!! What can I say....I'm a ML lover. Tried a couple of others but my heart keeps going there!

Miss your ML's? I can understand that. Here's a picture of my front end with 8 Logans (CLX's, Descent's, and 4 theaters managed by a dbx driverack 260) plus the unseen rears are Prodigys. Oh, and it's Bryston power all the way with two 28B's, 14B, 6B, and two 4B's.

Regards
Gary

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #16 on: 2 Jun 2011, 09:41 am »
Great system! Have you found the grail? :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 2 Jun 2011, 11:42 am »
Miss your ML's? I can understand that. Here's a picture of my front end with 8 Logans (CLX's, Descent's, and 4 theaters managed by a dbx driverack 260) plus the unseen rears are Prodigys. Oh, and it's Bryston power all the way with two 28B's, 14B, 6B, and two 4B's.

Regards
Gary

Great setup Gary - if I new you were this deep in I would have been much nicer to you :lol:

james

danman

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jun 2011, 12:15 pm »
Oh my!!!!!!!!!! I'm speechless and considering how much I like to talk that is an incredible feat!!!
Very nice! Listening to a movie on that must be a religious experience!

danman

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jun 2011, 12:19 pm »
Actually listened to the new ElectroMotion ESL at 2000$ the other day and was seriously blown away! I actually thought they sounded better than my Focals!!! Kind of scared me that at this price point someone can actually now enter the panel experience. This model is bound for glory!
I'm starting to wonder if we are experiencing higher quality products at affordable prices. Obviously they have to be paired to the right equipment but the wow factor was very present!