Power Nap before listening Session.

Mag

Power Nap before listening Session.
« on: 4 Nov 2009, 10:51 pm »
When I come home from work I'm usually burnt out from driving.
I don't feel like cranking up the tunes and if I do I will fall asleep anyway.

The solution, a Power Nap. It can be anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours depending on how wiped I am. The I'm good to go for critical listening for like 4 or 5 hours and some hard rockin' tunes at concert volume levels. :smoke:

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: Power Nap before listening Session.
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2009, 12:00 am »
For me, after work is walk time for Hector - it makes him very happy, and he also enjoys music...

Robert D

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2009, 12:04 am »
Same Here

Robert

Mad Mr H

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2009, 12:12 am »
You both walk Hector - Bet he sleeps well  :lol:

Power naps should really only be 15-20 mins long.

If you go into "REM" Rapid Eye movement sleep then you should stay asleep......

From what I understand.

What do you consider concert levels ???

I ran 120dB (119.8dB) the other day not a flicker of a peak LED on any Bryston 

BB5's first "real" work out....... :icon_lol:

I think they enjoyed it as much as the neighbours in the next town  :roll:

Just like shares , Volume can go UP as well as DOWN, but UP is so much more fun  :icon_twisted:

I must behave
I must behave
I must behave
I am a very naughty boy

Laundrew

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2009, 12:35 am »
Ironically, after the change over, I find that I listen to music at much lower volume levels compared to my former system.

Be well...

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2009, 01:08 am »
Concert level for me would be 95-100 db. I took my spl meter to a Chili Pepper's concert, which registered 95 db. The opening band was much louder than that however. I've also been to a bar in town with live bands and the volume level is usually louder than what I'm use to.

The reasons for loud spls is that instruments sound more timbrely correct, when speakers are given the juice.  By exciting the room, I can no longer locate speakers, which is important since I have lots of 'em. And it creates great imaging that I don't perceive as well, at lower volumes

b5pt9

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2009, 03:21 am »
I'm with Laundrew on the volume thing.  Over the last few years as my system has evolved to better components, bigger speakers and amps I find I now enjoy listening at relatively lower volumes :?  Rarely over 85db for reference.

Waker

« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2009, 07:19 am »
I also agree with you both on lower volume levels.  Clarity and harmonics, etc, have been my performance standards for a long time now.  I get a kick out of discovering parts I never knew where there, such as a triangle, a cymbal, an extra organ or guitar part, another voice in a harmony, etc.  Do you ever have someone visiting who says, "Let's see what it can do--crank it!"  I have to tell that person there are so many other ways to appreciate good sound.  Laundrew, may I ask, is that pic you, or Edward Scissorhands, or neither?       

95Dyna

« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2009, 02:06 pm »
Ironically, after the change over, I find that I listen to music at much lower volume levels compared to my former system.

Be well...

I'm with you on this one too, Andy.  One of the prominent differences I first noticed when I installed the new 7Bs squared and BP26 is how really good the music sounded at even very low levels.  I didn't come from a previous vintage Bryston amp but many of you who are there now and are asking what the improvements are in the squared series I'll bet you'll find this to be one of them.  Most solid state amps need to be cranked up into their wheelhouse before sounding good but not the new Brystons.  This is actually a tube like characteristic in a solid state amp.  As for the dogs, mine are alway right beside me when I'm listening.  It's great to be Alpha Male to someone!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #9 on: 5 Nov 2009, 06:21 pm »

Be well...

Not me. I end up turning it up louder, because it sounds so good, uncompressed, and undistorted!

racerxnet

« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov 2009, 09:56 pm »
What happened to the music? Depends on the song for the volume, but I don't push it with the RS1b's cause the drivers are expensive and almost non-existent.

Laundrew

« Reply #11 on: 5 Nov 2009, 10:43 pm »
What a cutie!

racerxnet

« Reply #12 on: 5 Nov 2009, 10:52 pm »
 Thanks Laundrew,

When I saw the picture of your dog I could not resist. The family got the dog off of Craiglist. He is a part of the family, as the 4 7BST amps and BP25 are.

srb

« Reply #13 on: 5 Nov 2009, 10:58 pm »
Hey guys, back to the Power Nap for just a minute.... (cute dog, though)

Do you set alarms for these naps?  I know someone who takes these all the time and says he just automatically wakes up in 15 minutes, 20 minutes or whatever.

If I "automatically" wake up after that short time period, I feel great.  But I usually sleep longer and go into that deeper REM sleep, and then I actually wake feeling even more tired.

Steve

Laundrew

« Reply #14 on: 5 Nov 2009, 11:12 pm »
I am not a huge nap fan - when I awake after a nap and for some odd reason, it feels like I was out much longer than what I actually was. Now, waking up in the morning, I normally wake up 5 or 10 minutes before the alarm goes off at 4AM and am ready to go :scratch:

Mad Mr H

« Reply #15 on: 5 Nov 2009, 11:17 pm »
I would not normally run the system very loud, but I do like to know system limits and so know there is headroom.

85dB is film ref level.

I also respect my ears, they are worth a lot to me.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #16 on: 5 Nov 2009, 11:20 pm »

Do you set alarms for these naps?  I know someone who takes these all the time and says he just automatically wakes up in 15 minutes, 20 minutes or whatever.

If I "automatically" wake up after that short time period, I feel great.  But I usually sleep longer and go into that deeper REM sleep, and then I actually wake feeling even more tired.

Steve

once into RE|M you should try and sleep, you will feel tired, what you say follows all I have read about sleeping.

I suffer sleep apnea.......this leads to daytime naps not out of choice.

werd

« Reply #17 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:44 am »

Steve

once into RE|M you should try and sleep, you will feel tired, what you say follows all I have read about sleeping.

I suffer sleep apnea.......this leads to daytime naps not out of choice.

I have sleep apnea too. it sucks..... but it helps to have a fan running low speed at your face to keep air pushing. It really helps your apnea.  Just dont give yourself a cold. It helps trust me.

Waker

« Reply #18 on: 6 Nov 2009, 06:49 am »
To those with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), I urge you to get referred for a sleep study-one night-and evaluated for a CPAP machine.  If you need one, it will change your life, as it did mine.  I have used one for a few months now, and I feel so much better--no longer short-tempered or drowsy at all times.  OSA is dangerous to your health, with pulmonary hyertension as a major risk.   Continuous, Positive Airway Pressure is what is delivered to keep the airway open.  PM me for info.     

95Dyna

« Reply #19 on: 6 Nov 2009, 02:18 pm »
For me, after work is walk time for Hector - it makes him very happy, and he also enjoys music...

Hi Andy,

Hector looks like he's into some serious REM and dreaming about wrestling another dog for a steak bone.  Is he a Boxer?  That left paw looks like it could be registered as a weapon. :guns:

Bill