BDA-1 integer mode

bluemark81

BDA-1 integer mode
« on: 23 Oct 2012, 02:38 am »
Does anyone know if the BDA-1 can support integer mode?

Phil A

Re: BDA-1 integer mode
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2012, 02:49 am »
Don't know but here's a way to tell - http://bitperfectsound.blogspot.com/p/manual.html

bluemark81

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2012, 11:14 am »
I tried that and according to it, the answer is no.  I was hoping I was doing something wrong in checking it.  That is unfortunate and a bit surprising as I like the BDA-1.  I wonder if it is something that can be added through a software update.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:17 am »
Hi Folks

I tried Bit Perfect App with the new BDA-2 and Integer Mode says Yes  :thumb:

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:20 am »
So I guess the question becomes - does Bit Perfect compete with the other music players like Amarra and Audirvana and Pure Music ?

James

bluemark81

« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:24 am »
Hi Folks

I tried Bit Perfect App with the new BDA-2 and Integer Mode says Yes  :thumb:

James

James:

Is there a possible firmware upgrade for the BDA-1 to handle integer mode?  I only bought the BDA-1 about 6 months ago.  I don't want to have to trade it in already.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:42 am »
James:

Is there a possible firmware upgrade for the BDA-1 to handle integer mode?  I only bought the BDA-1 about 6 months ago.  I don't want to have to trade it in already.

Sorry I do not think so as the chips in the BDA-2 are totally different. I have not tried the BDA-1 with Bit Perfect yet as this program is new to me but I will.  I am using the new USB asynchronous input on the BDA-2 so I assume that is why the BDA-2 can deal with the Integer playback.

I had to open the Bit Perfect Preferences window and close it again while playing a file before it showed YES. 

James

bluemark81

« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:50 am »
Sorry I do not think so as the chips in the BDA-2 are totally different. I have not tried the BDA-1 with Bit Perfect yet as this program is new to me but I will.

I had to open the Bit Perfect Preferences window and close it again while playing a file before it showed YES. 

James

Yes, that is what I did as well, but unfortunately, mine says NO.  Want to buy a very slightly used BDA-1?   :lol:

Let me know what you find out anyway when you test it.  I'm expecting it to give the same results, but hopefully, I've done something wrong.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:51 am »
Yes, that is what I did as well, but unfortunately, mine says NO.  Want to buy a very slightly used BDA-1?   :lol:

Are you using the USB input or Optical?

James

bluemark81

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:53 am »
Are you using the USB input or Optical?

James

I first tried it with optical and now I'm using a hiFace usb/spdif interface as I have some hi rez files (>92 kHz).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2012, 01:55 am »
I first tried it with optical and now I'm using a hiFace usb/spdif interface as I have some hi rez files (>92 kHz).

Ok I will try it at work tomorrow - I can play 192/24 USB so far with no glitches on the 2.

We are planing on introducing an outboard USB interface that is identical to the one in the 2 to go with the BDA-1 so that might solve the issue for you.

James

bluemark81

« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:09 am »
Ok I will try it at work tomorrow - I can play 192/24 USB so far with no glitches on the 2.

We are planing on introducing an outboard USB interface that is identical to the one in the 2 to go with the BDA-1 so that might solve the issue for you.

James

I would be very interested.  I suspect you could test it out first to see if it does the trick?  Would the interface allow higher rez files over usb?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:15 am »
I would be very interested.  I suspect you could test it out first to see if it does the trick?  Would the interface allow higher rez files over usb?

Yes it should work identically to the USB in the BDA-2.  I will certainly let you know when we get the prototype together.

James

bluemark81

« Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:22 am »
Yes it should work identically to the USB in the BDA-2.  I will certainly let you know when we get the prototype together.

James

Great.  I may be putting too much emphasis on this "integer mode", but most say it makes a marked improvement.  What do you anticipate the expected release date to be?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2012, 02:30 am »
Great.  I may be putting too much emphasis on this "integer mode", but most say it makes a marked improvement.  What do you anticipate the expected release date to be?

I would say about 3 months.

James

Marius

« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2012, 07:51 am »
Hi James,

Ive bought the Bitperfect app, but in fact never use it. Ever since I installed it my Macbook started to behave unexpectedly.... Up to the point where closing it or an interfering app, made it play my mail-sent sounds.... strange, and made me feel things were sent I didn't know of...
Other than that, I could not hear any difference on the Mac between with or without. That might be a completely different story when using the sound out into an extermal Dac of course, but as said, haven't tried that yet.

Would have been very nice, such a small app, making great systemic sonic improvements.
I stick with Audirvana + for now.

Very keen to hear your test results though.

Cheers,
Marius

So I guess the question becomes - does Bit Perfect compete with the other music players like Amarra and Audirvana and Pure Music ?

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2012, 10:50 am »
Hi James,

Ive bought the Bitperfect app, but in fact never use it. Ever since I installed it my Macbook started to behave unexpectedly.... Up to the point where closing it or an interfering app, made it play my mail-sent sounds.... strange, and made me feel things were sent I didn't know of...
Other than that, I could not hear any difference on the Mac between with or without. That might be a completely different story when using the sound out into an extermal Dac of course, but as said, haven't tried that yet.

Would have been very nice, such a small app, making great systemic sonic improvements.
I stick with Audirvana + for now.

Very keen to hear your test results though.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

Yes I made the mistake of leaving Bit Perfect engaged and switched to Amarra and got sound through the DAC as well as through the laptop computer.

Also I have ordered a new laptop as my MAC only has 2GB of memory and most of these add ons want 4GB minimum - especially when playing hi-res files.

James

bluemark81

« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2012, 11:39 am »
No issues of that sort with me yet.  I'm only using bit perfect for now, on a mac mini with 8 gig running snow leopard.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 24 Oct 2012, 11:50 am »
No issues of that sort with me yet.  I'm only using bit perfect for now, on a mac mini with 8 gig running snow leopard.

Hi

So given your research and listening does Bit Perfect appear to do all that the much more expensive programs do?  Also do you hear a difference between Bit Perfect engaged vs standard iTunes?

james

bluemark81

« Reply #19 on: 24 Oct 2012, 12:39 pm »
Hi

So given your research and listening does Bit Perfect appear to do all that the much more expensive programs do?  Also do you hear a difference between Bit Perfect engaged vs standard iTunes?

james

James:

To be fair, I really only got things up and running last evening and hadn't had much of a chance to experiment.  Currently, I am listening to things through headphones and a headphone amp as we are in the midst of renos and all my gear is stored away until we are done.  I will try turning BP off tonight to see what effect it has.

Tell me this, what are you using to connect your mac to the BDA-2 when you tested it?  On another forum where I was inquiring about integer mode with the BDA-1, this is the response I got:

All the reviews of the Bryston DAC say its USB input is inferior to its S/PDIF input. Therefore, you probably should try a high quality Toslink cable from the Mini to the Bryston instead of using USB. (To use Toslink, set the sound output device to Internal.)

Since integer mode is impossible with S/PDIF, that would moot your question.

I am using SPDIF on the BDA-1 by converting the USB out on my mini to SPDIF using a HiFace1 interface.