VMPS RM V60 question and Build

Housteau

Re: VMPS RM V60 question and Build
« Reply #20 on: 20 Apr 2020, 12:17 am »
A small router may do the trick.

ZAKski288

« Reply #21 on: 20 Apr 2020, 02:29 am »
Dave is right I would use a router. That my choice. Make sure you apply masking tape, maybe two layers to protect your finish. Measure twice , maybe three times, cut once. Shaukat if you lived close I would route for you Ken  :popcorn:

shauk786

« Reply #22 on: 22 Apr 2020, 06:52 am »
While I am waiting for my ordered parts to arrive, in the meantime, I have unpacked my neopanels about 26 of them. All of them had the blue insulation on the solder tab at the back of the panel. So I decided to remove all of them. Slow process as not to damage the neopanel as the tab where they are located in pretty fragile. This was successfully done with no damage.

I measured the resistance of each one of the neos, and wrote then on the back of each panel. Some were 2.6 ohms, some were 2.8 Ohms and a few were 3.0 and 3.3 ohm, .

I selected 12 in matched pairs for the left and right speakers and arranged them in such as way that the left six and right six  measure approximately 4.7 ohms for each side. here is the layout for the left side and did same for the right side.

I marked each Neo from L1 to L6 and similarly R1 to R6 so they can be installed in the right order. Hopefully tomorrow.

More to come

shauk786

« Reply #23 on: 27 Apr 2020, 12:43 am »
Completed installing midrange and treble binding posts on the top of the bases.

2nd base:

More to come.

« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2020, 02:06 am by shauk786 »

GeorgeAb

« Reply #24 on: 28 Apr 2020, 12:07 am »
Also how thick is the damping foam glued to the wings?

This is how thick it is on a RM-30. It appears like RM-30 is less recessed than RM-60, but it will give you an idea of material used.

shauk786

« Reply #25 on: 28 Apr 2020, 06:30 am »
Thank you GeorgeAb.

I had ordered the 1/8in by 3/8in gasket from Parts express along with the 1 inch by 48 in. sonic barrier among other stuffs. Waiting for delivery.

shauk786

« Reply #26 on: 1 May 2020, 02:31 am »
I have now completed the back part of the bases.

Base 1

Base 2

Following some delays, I finally got shipment confirmation from Part Express. I am expecting the foam, woofer gaskets and additional binding posts. According to UPS. should arrive on Monday May 4th. So plan is to complete both bases early next week.

How much fiber approximately does each base needs?

I also plan to put some sonic barrier on the walls, and top/bottom in the base cabinets.

More to come.

Housteau

« Reply #27 on: 1 May 2020, 03:23 am »
A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

OldScott

« Reply #28 on: 1 May 2020, 05:02 pm »
Sure looking as if you are doing a GREAT job!

shauk786

« Reply #29 on: 3 May 2020, 05:33 am »
Thank you OldScott.

So far so good  :D

Hopefully, by tomorrow I will prep the OXO boxes.

shauk786

« Reply #30 on: 4 May 2020, 01:19 am »
I worked on the OXO boxes this weekend and glad I made some substantial progress. Here are some picts.

I believe most of the hard parts are completed now with no damage to the enclosures. Now I am ready to start assembling and installing the drivers into the wings and bases as my needed parts are being delivered tomorrow.  :D :D :D.

More to come...

shauk786

« Reply #31 on: 7 May 2020, 12:57 am »
Currently working on assembling the drivers in the bases.

Ken or Dave - Are the round grills completely flushed with the cabinet or does it protrude a bit in the hole once the drivers are installed. I have added a 1/8th inch gasket on each woofer and now the grill stick out by 1/8th inch.  Just wondering if the woofers are installed without any gasket.

Appreciate it for a quick response.

Shaukat

Housteau

« Reply #32 on: 7 May 2020, 02:17 am »
My grills are all flush and can even recess in a bit if pushed in.

ZAKski288

« Reply #33 on: 7 May 2020, 02:57 am »
Yes, It might of been 1/16” but now after being screwed down to base cabinet (compressed), it’s real thin now. I just looked at a roll of speaker gasket I have from Part Express, it’s double the thickness. Ken

« Last Edit: 7 May 2020, 06:10 pm by ZAKski288 »

shauk786

« Reply #34 on: 7 May 2020, 04:53 am »
Thank you both Dave and Ken.

Darn - looks like the 1/8in thickness won't work well. Parts express only had the 1/8in. I just ordered the 1/16 in version from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBPSF1R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The sad part I have to wait until saturday  :(

In the meantime I am starting to assemble the Neos.

Regards,
« Last Edit: 7 May 2020, 11:08 pm by shauk786 »

G E

« Reply #35 on: 7 May 2020, 04:47 pm »
Thank you both Dave and Ken.

Darn - looks like the 3/8in thickness won't work well. Parts express only had the 3/8in. I just ordered the 1/16 in version from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBPSF1R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The sad part I have to wait until saturday  :(

In the meantime I am starting to assemble the Neos.

Regards,

If you are looking at gaskets on previously installed woofers they will have been compressed.

When  I did the RM 30 series 2 upgrade I used a 3m automotive product that are really sticky strings. Non hardening, don’t act like glue. I found out about it in the subwoofer builder forums.

Look for a pic of it in my Series 2 update thread. It might be just the ticket.

BTW, I am very impressed , and maybe a bit envious, of your RM60 project. Super ambitious and no doubts you will be richly rewarded.

shauk786

« Reply #36 on: 7 May 2020, 06:08 pm »
Thank you G E.

Yes, it is quite an undertaking. And getting there.

I will definitely have a look at your Series 2 update details on the 3 M.

Regards.

shauk786

« Reply #37 on: 7 May 2020, 11:03 pm »
While we are still on the subject of the bases. Here are pictures of the cables I prepared for midrange, treble and base woofers. For the midrange and treble, I am using the same silver plated copper hookup wires used by Brian and they will be soldered directly to the binding posts.

These are:

Hook-Up Wire, UL 1213, 18 AWG, 19 Strands, Silver-Coated Copper, TFE, Red, Red/Green for midrange
Hook-Up Wire, UL 1213, 20 AWG, 19 Strands, Silver-Coated Copper, TFE, Green, Blue for treble.

For the woofers using analysis plus copper, there are 10 strips, 5 for each base, terminated with crimp terminators to each woofer. I crimped each and used silver solder for secure connection then covered with heat shrink tubing. Notice 4 of the wires have connectors on only one side. the bare ends will be soldered directly to the binding posts.

I have seen on some forums that these type of connectors might degrade the signal. However, I am using them only on the woofers. I can always solder the wires directly on the woofer terminals at a later time after listening sessions.

More to come.

shauk786

« Reply #38 on: 9 May 2020, 01:47 am »
Today's progress on the build.

The Midrange and Treble wires in the bases are now soldered in both bases.

I also started on installing the norez damping material inside one of the base cabinet. I have completed the top and bottom so far.

More to come.

shauk786

« Reply #39 on: 10 May 2020, 12:26 am »
The two bases are almost completed. I am now waiting on Amazon to deliver today the 1/16th thick gasket I had ordered before I can assemble the woofers.  :D :D

All wires inside the cabinet are solded. The damping of the base cabinets is also complete.

Left cabinet

Right cabinet

Waiting for the woofers and the poly fill insulation to be installed:

More to come