Balanced tonearm leads (I'm new, so I can't use the search engine.)

saab_oteur

Can anyone recommend a shop that can solder xlr/balanced cables on a Rega tonearm? I'm in Minnesota, but I'd ship my turntable anywhere.

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
http://www.britaudio.com/contact.html

:thumb:

Give Michael a call… rewired my Kuzma Stogi… was great to work with.

saab_oteur

I spoke to Michael and he confused me: he said that both his single-ended and xlr tonearm leads are balanced.

Question for you: is one of the pins on your Stogi a ground?

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
Michael installed a “one piece from Cardas cartridge tags to RCA plugs Incognito rewire kit” including a separate ground wire terminated with a spade. His work looks and sounds fabulous to me.

No XLR connectors involved, so by my understanding, not balanced.

Wonder what Michael meant… maybe contact him once more, and let us know?

Paul

HAL

• Industry Contributor
A phono cartridge is a balanced output device.  Typical turntable RCA cables have them wired as each connection going to the two RCA connections and the turntable ground wire only to the chassis.

You can wire an RCA hot pin to XLR pin 2 and RCA ground to XLR pin 3.  The turntable ground goes to XLR pin 1 for both channels.

Most of the RCA to XLR adapters for inputs have a different wiring scheme with the RCA ground to the XLR ground which is not a balanced connection. 

I made a simple adapter box for mine.

saab_oteur

Michael installed a “one piece from Cardas cartridge tags to RCA plugs Incognito rewire kit” including a separate ground wire terminated with a spade. His work looks and sounds fabulous to me.

No XLR connectors involved, so by my understanding, not balanced.

Wonder what Michael meant… maybe contact him once more, and let us know?

Paul

I think I’m going to send my tonearm to Stephen (talking dog transducers, inc) because he understands “true” balanced wiring. I already have the incognito kit, which is great as a single-ended connection.

saab_oteur

A phono cartridge is a balanced output device.  Typical turntable RCA cables have them wired as each connection going to the two RCA connections and the turntable ground wire only to the chassis.

You can wire an RCA hot pin to XLR pin 2 and RCA ground to XLR pin 3.  The turntable ground goes to XLR pin 1 for both channels.

Most of the RCA to XLR adapters for inputs have a different wiring scheme with the RCA ground to the XLR ground which is not a balanced connection. 

I made a simple adapter box for mine.

Looks good. I’m inept at soldering, which is why I’m going to pay someone else to do it.