« on: 2 Feb 2016, 02:04 am »
Beats (By Dre) beat's them all !
Since my arrival in Montreal almost now one year ago,
I've been taking public transportation daily
and I was surprised to see lots of young and some older people
wearing headphones in the bus.
After making up my own statistics,
I would say that 50% of headphones are Beats
25% are Sony and the remaining of the 25% are various brands.
Mot are on ears and some over the ears, of course some of them are in ears,
but for those you know that it's very difficult to see what makes they are (Too small)
the majority of the headphones are driven by phones, as far as I can see.
Just wanted to share my observation.

Guy 13

Guy 13

Re: To Beats or not to beats...
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2016, 03:23 am »
http://dalethorn.com/Headphone_Volume_Hearing_Damage.txt

Thanks Dale for that link.
Very interesting.
In a few years all those young person will have hearing problem.
I've also noticed very loud bass (Discotheque style) coming from some cars stopping at red light,
those also will heave hearing damage soon, if not partially already done.  :(

Guy 13

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2016, 03:42 am »
what most people dont know is hearing failing comes with ageing so is eyesight,turn up the vol baby... :thumb:
Guy13 beats are really good headphones my nephew gave me his $300 pair,i use it on computer/youtube music all the time... :green:

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2016, 03:59 am »
All true. As Guy13 notes, a generation is deafening itself. Many of today's twentysomethings will be stone deaf by the time they are our age (I'm 59). I'm around a lot of young people where I work and some of them, you can hear the music from their in-ear phones from 6 feet away. I think that somehow the ear does't perceive volume from headphones the same way it perceives volume from speakers in a room. This may be at least partly because many headphones will play extremely loud without obvious distortion.

Beats have about 60% of the over $99 market IIRC. Sad but true; a triumph of marketing over worth, because they are some of the worst you will ever hear... trash. Lousy sound, lousy build quality... Get your good headphones while you can, because even companies the likes of Sennheiser, AKG and Beyer have responded to the Beats juggernaut by coming out with their own 'blingphones'. Quality costs money, and if you can get people to pay big bucks for garbage, what's the incentive to build quality cans- except for the increasingly expensive "high end" market... "High end" audio in general (headphones being no exception) seems hell bent on marginalizing itself by selling fewer and fewer units for more and more money. At some point the general public will just walk away (as they largely have with component audio systems) and there will nothing to buy at a rational price besides crud like Beats. Sigh....

Of course I have to admit that I have not heard Beats on a truly first class source like youtube audio.... really, man?  :scratch:

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2016, 10:25 am »
I'm visiting Paris and I notice a lot of Senn B202's. The most popular seems to be those Marshall Major headphones.
A lot more of these Sonys though. A number of Beats too - they seem to be more common than before. Worn mostly by black dudes - Afro-Europeans?

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2016, 12:09 pm »
Hi all,
I cannot say that the skin colour has something to do with who's using more headphones.
I've also noticed that more and more girls have headphones,
minds you, the girls seems to be using more the in-ears phones.
When I was on planet Vietnam, the capital of noise, I was wearing all the time ear plugs
while outside my house, soooooo noisy,
a few AudioCircle members that went to Vietnam, could confirm that.
Vietnamese like loud music, especially in Karaoke bar...  :nono:

Guy 13