iMod temps me but?

Zero One

iMod temps me but?
« on: 24 Apr 2007, 12:54 pm »
The whole idea of using a iMod as the digital front end for my system sounds appealing but I have reservations, let me explain.

Basically my vinyl set up works superbly and my pre amp and amps are battery driven and my speakers are OBs with subs, I have resolution and air in abundance, I have a few CD players, none of which are brilliant and by comparison to the vinyl they are pretty much unlistenable, dead is a word that comes to mind.

I also have an iPod Nano 8G and running lossless or AIFF files it sounds a little better than the CD players, however I have it running via the dock and a pair of audio transformers into the amp via a custom made cable, all of which make for a much better sound than std but still it lacks sparkle and definition at the high end and the bass is still pretty limp and indistinct....in isolation it sounds OK I guess but in comparison to LPs, well it doesn't get me excited.

I guess what I really need to know before spending up on the iMod is there a fair chance I can find happiness with it, would it do a good job with LPs converted to digital using 48Khz sampling AIFF?

I have tried cheaper DVD-A and SACD players too and they have left me unsatisfied, maybe I am hard to please but I am desperate for a good digital front end as not everything is on vinyl and the iMod really sounds like the go. I guess one aspect that really appeals is that I can rip my vinyl and clean some stuff up.

One other thing I would like to do is integrate a direct input into my preamp, which is DIY and I have not yet finished the outer casework so integrating a 1/8 miniplug and receptacle into the upper case and straight into the circuitry should be fine, has anyone tried this?  I assume that would remove another impediment to the sound.

Loftprojection

Re: iMod temps me but?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2007, 01:29 pm »
I just got an imod myself two weeks ago but I didn't do any critical listening yet, I let it burnin for at least 100 to 200 hours before I do.

The way you talk, as well as many others, about vinyl has been some kind of mistery to me for several years.  15-20 years ago I had an extensive colletion of vinyl albums that I was listening to on an "acceptable" system but nothing spectacular.  At a certain point CDs came out, I scrapped my vinyl collection and I never looked back.  Then two years ago I moved into PC audio.  So now I have an RWA Imod and an RWA SB2 as my front end and I am extremely happy to be rid of CDs, not even thinking about vinyl.

So, I might not be the right person to answer your question because to me there is simply no competition.  If I was still using vinyl I would probably listen to music an average of 1 hour per week.  With PC audio there is hardly a day I don't spend at least 1 hour listening to music. 

Is the quality of sound less then if I had vinyl.  Heck, probably yes to some ears but to mine not really. To my ears, having pure sound without any kind of crackle and pop feels much better then the tiny bit of "emotion" you might get out of vinyl.  Sure a mediocre CD player, a DVD player or a regular ipod as your  main source will have you say CD sound quality is very bad.  But a very good CD player, an Imod and many other high quality digital sources don't have that much to envy to vinyl.

Now, the question should be, is the Imod the best digital source you can get on the market right now?  Most probably yes in its price range, most probably not if you are willing to spend more for something like a modded Squeezebox, a modded Olive or a few others.

jrebman

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2007, 01:57 pm »
I too have to say that I'm tempted by the iMod, but I don't really have any reservations about quality -- for me it is really more a matter of having the money right now.  I have squeezeboxes and also a vinyl rig (still under construction) and a system that can easily show you any flaws in your sources.  Bottom line -- I'd own one if I could scrape up the cash.

Also, just my opinion, I would not use a 3.5mm mini stereo jack as an input to your preamp -- I think you would get much better mileage out of a mini stereo to low-mass RCAs (Eichmann) and similar on your preamp.

-- Jim

gooberdude

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2007, 02:54 pm »
Hey Zero One,

i waxed poetic not too long ago about Imod's performance with my LP tracks, its f*ckin' crazy how they gel together.  see vinnie's circle or search me...

I've made quite a few CD's from my LP's, but until my Imod became fully burned in i never truly appreciated my efforts.    Bear in mind i've never had a good cd player though, but Imod brought out details, bass & imaging in my analog tunes that i'd never heard...but i've had these tracks on CD for over 2 years & listen to them frequently.

to me, an avid budget 'phile, this is BIG.

don't hesitate about imod, its the real deal....     I have about 50 hrs of analog tracks on Imod now, its so bad-ass.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2007, 03:08 pm »
Hi Zero One,

I also have an iPod Nano 8G and running lossless or AIFF files it sounds a little better than the CD players, however I have it running via the dock and a pair of audio transformers into the amp via a custom made cable, all of which make for a much better sound than std but still it lacks sparkle and definition at the high end and the bass is still pretty limp and indistinct....in isolation it sounds OK I guess but in comparison to LPs, well it doesn't get me excited.

The iMod is a completely different animal than the stock iPods.  It is much more involving and even though you are a true LP fan, the iMod will NOT make you go running back to vinyl when it is playing. 

The iMod does not sound like a ultra high-res CD player.  It is not analytical (it doesn't hold a magnifine glass to the recording) and it is not sterile.  It is warmer, seductive, and will make you want to keep in listening.  Also: 

-- Bass response is much more controlled and defined. 
-- Top end is a lot sweeter and more extended.
-- Sound stage is much more open and 3D (you shoudl really notice this with with your OBs)

As one of my iMod customers (ZLS) describes, it passes the "one more song test," meaning it keeps him staying up late listening to just one more song (which ends up being many more songs  :wink:).

I guess what I really need to know before spending up on the iMod is there a fair chance I can find happiness with it, would it do a good job with LPs converted to digital using 48Khz sampling AIFF?

This will be fine, but the results depend on the quality of the A-to-D converter.

One other thing I would like to do is integrate a direct input into my preamp, which is DIY and I have not yet finished the outer casework so integrating a 1/8 miniplug and receptacle into the upper case and straight into the circuitry should be fine, has anyone tried this?  I assume that would remove another impediment to the sound.

As Jim pointed out, I would go with a good 1/8" sterep mini to RCA cable. 

i waxed poetic not too long ago about Imod's performance with my LP tracks, its f*ckin' crazy how they gel together.  see vinnie's circle or search me...

I think this is the thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40033.0
 8)

Thanks, everyone!

Vinnie

Zero One

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2007, 06:23 am »
Hi Vinnie
Thank you so much for the information, the improvements you speak of are exactly what I am looking for, is it correct that you currently have modded pods in stock, I have looked on ebay here in OZ and it is pretty hard to get a 4G pod in good nick. This is very exciting I run classes on LP to CDs, MP3s etc as part of my training business, it is wonderful to think I can now recommend a true audiophile solution for my students, many who are looking for something better than the std iPod and yet still want the convenience

I just wanted to say also that I really applaud your adherance to SLA power for amplification, as said my own system totally uses SLAs (except for the sub power amps) though with LM 1875 Gainclone Mono-Blocks (P2P SMDs and a few other mods), the sound difference compared to mains is just astonishing, it is no wonder you have got so many great reviews, it astounds me that others have not seen the great benefit of off the grid power. I hope you continue to have great success.

What is the turnaround for an in-stock iMod to OZ?

Many Thanks
Zero One

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2007, 01:16 pm »
Hi Zero One,

What is the turnaround for an in-stock iMod to OZ?

I have modded 60GB iPod Photo units in stock and ready to ship now  8)

I just wanted to say also that I really applaud your adherance to SLA power for amplification, as said my own system totally uses SLAs

Thank you... yes, it is very difficult to go back to AC power once you hear a well-implemented system on battery.  The iMod is also on battery and will mate perfectly in your off-the-grid system.

Also, when you run the iMod in your system, I recommend you do NOT connect it to the AC charger.  Only plug it in to charge (you can also charge from your computer's USB port). 

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Vinnie

bmotro

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2013, 12:07 am »
zero one,
how do you recommend your students rip lp's?
I want to do this for my stepdad. hope this isn't off topic.
best,
barret

Scrypt

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2013, 01:46 am »
In case anyone's interested, I had M. Vinnie mod my hoary iPod 4G ages ago after running into him at a RWA showroom during an NYC audio show.  The upshot is that I still use that device at work and it still sounds aces in the wake of DACs and OTG cables.  Derbies off to VR and the iMod despite the vicissitudes of digital audio in the 2010s.