Anyone heard any new "hyped" speakers brands i.e. Tekton

Max Bouvatte

Hello, new to the forum, posting a few questions that have been on my mind.

I would like to get a new set of speakers, thinking about the Tekton Double Impacts,  although my budgets tight and my listening room is probably too small for them, I have been curious after watching all the glowing reviews on youtube.

Maybe one of ya'll has a pair that I can demo? or possibly just an honest review?  I've never purchased anything that expensive sight unseen, sound unheard, so I am hesitant to give them all my money even if there is a decent return policy.

I recently bought the new Elac bookshelf speakers that everyone raves about online, and I wasn't that impressed...just makes me question all the youtube hype.

Here are the Tektons I'm thinking of ( not my photo )

WGH

Re: Anyone heard any new "hyped" speakers brands i.e. Tekton
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2020, 12:18 am »
As you discovered, a speakers sound is very personal. Hopefully you will find a pair close by to audition.

I heard the Tekton Brilliance that were reviewed in Stereo Times. Frank Alles is a member of our audiophile group and we had a meet-up at his house to audition the speakers. Frank liked them, I thought they were meh. Away from the sweet spot the sound was an unfocused, diffused and phasey mess. But then I didn't liked the sound of the early nCore amps either and suffered the abuse of the masses until everyone came to their senses.

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/tekton-design-brilliance-loudspeakers

Stercom

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2020, 12:37 am »
Yes, I've owned the Impact Monitors and now have the Moabs. I've heard the Double Impacts and the Ulfberht. They are the real deal. Make sure you get a model with his tweeter array or double tweeter array. 

Randy

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2020, 02:03 am »
I just got a pair of these and they are terrific. Best speakers I've ever had or heard, for that matter. Those are 15 inch woofers that move a lot of air. You have a choice of full range drivers, and I got them with the ultra-refined Voxativ drivers made in Germany,
https://www.pureaudioproject.com/product/duet15-prelude-open-baffle-speakers-by-pureaudioproject/

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2020, 02:48 am »
 :D those look very interesting .. wowwww.  Won't break the bank either.  :D

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2020, 03:10 am »

"99% of all loudspeakers fall into this camp.They can be small bookshelf units the size of a tea cup or large floor standing ones with the size and heft of a garden shed.The drive units, whether a single full range or multiple woofers, midranges and tweeters are all parked on the front of the cabinet and fire directly at the listener.As can be seen on hundreds of measurements of this design, the frequency response curves taken on axis will always be very impressive when the microphone is placed directly in front.All is lovely until we gaze at the response above 4 or 5 KhZ taken at 30 degrees off axis.They donʼt dare show you what happens at 90 degrees horizontal or 60 degrees vertical. The curves are completely different when compared to the curves taken on axis.Why does this matter when we only sit in front?The sound reflected off of walls, ceiling and furniture will be different than the sound on axis since they effectively have dissimilar sources. The net result is like listening to two different speakers at the same time or, more to the point two different sounds arriving at a slight time delay caused by the reflections.It becomes very fatiguing.This is why monopoles cannot sound lifelike even when using distortion free drive units and perfectly damped enclosures. Audiophiles will invest thousands of dollars and months of screwing around with all manner of sound damping material to eliminate these annoying reflections. To the point where the room becomes claustrophobic. Spousal units are not amused by any of this. Because of the simplicity of monopole designs they can be churned out at a respectably low price. Walmart has them at $30 a pair or less. There are some boutique versions of monopoles that can cost North of a half million dollars (cough). You can spend a gazillion dollars on this design. The problem is that they always sound like speakers."

-from Don Morrison,  Morrison Audio

jjss49

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2020, 04:51 am »
I just got a pair of these and they are terrific. Best speakers I've ever had or heard, for that matter. Those are 15 inch woofers that move a lot of air. You have a choice of full range drivers, and I got them with the ultra-refined Voxativ drivers made in Germany,
https://www.pureaudioproject.com/product/duet15-prelude-open-baffle-speakers-by-pureaudioproject/

How big is your room Randy?  How much were they?  Looks like head on competition to Clayton's Spatials...

jjss49

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2020, 04:54 am »
Yes, I've owned the Impact Monitors and now have the Moabs. I've heard the Double Impacts and the Ulfberht. They are the real deal. Make sure you get a model with his tweeter array or double tweeter array.

I agree, sound quality wise, Tekton's are the real deal.  Fast very powerful and impactful sound (appropriately named)... not for the faint of heart, nor for those with less than truly excellent upstream gear... these speakers will hide no faults.  They are also very large very heavy...and the look and form factor will certainly not suit all...

Max Bouvatte

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2020, 02:10 pm »
I agree, sound quality wise, Tekton's are the real deal.  Fast very powerful and impactful sound (appropriately named)... not for the faint of heart, nor for those with less than truly excellent upstream gear... these speakers will hide no faults.  They are also very large very heavy...and the look and form factor will certainly not suit all...

I think the size is the biggest thing holding me back from purchase, I want a room that will compliment them, and as usual, space is limited. I am in the camp that "bigger is better" as far a woofer size goes. I like feeling the sound.
My friend did just buy a big air conditioned barn in Illinois, maybe Ill get these and move them there; I can have an off-site man cave barn

Max Bouvatte

« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2020, 02:12 pm »
How big is your room Randy?  How much were they?  Looks like head on competition to Clayton's Spatials...

those spatials look sweet,
almost looks like something I could try to DIY build... not many internal parts...

Bullitt5094

« Reply #10 on: 27 Oct 2020, 03:22 pm »
I own Tekton Ulfs and Lores. They are both awesome products for their "size/cost/categories". Tekton has a very liberal return policy. There is nothing as good as getting them in your own environment. Tekton makes that relatively easy.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #11 on: 27 Oct 2020, 04:46 pm »

I just scanned the website, and I’m impressed. I’ll look more thoroughly on my laptop once I’m home. I can already hear my wife’s protests  :lol:

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #12 on: 27 Oct 2020, 07:17 pm »
Michael ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ... you really need to buy these ...

toocool4

« Reply #13 on: 27 Oct 2020, 07:17 pm »
Max Bouvatte never part with your money on someone else’s say so. Use your own ears and preferably in your own room with the rest of your kit.

Looking at your room in the systems, the speakers you are looking at are far too big for your room. They will over power your room.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #14 on: 27 Oct 2020, 07:29 pm »
An OB speakers need room no matter what size they are.

And I think we just got the perfect display of "Hyped" from Lester.

Randy

« Reply #15 on: 27 Oct 2020, 10:43 pm »

Roughly measured at 14 by 28 or so. I sit midway at about 12 but the speakers are about 3 feet from the back wall.

Randy

« Reply #16 on: 27 Oct 2020, 10:57 pm »
I just scanned the website, and I’m impressed. I’ll look more thoroughly on my laptop once I’m home. I can already hear my wife’s protests  :lol:

I bought them on faith after seeing a lot on Pure Audio Project and Voxativ on You Tube.  That faith has been richly rewarded. Voxativ also sells complete speakers at astronomical prices.

These come in boxes disassembled but it's easy to put them together. The Voxativ drivers come from Germany, the frames from a shop in Pennsylvania, the crossovers from Mundorf in Germany, and the woofers are the company's own design built for them by Emminence. I think they were shipped from Iowa. The first crossover I also put together, a matter of mounting parts on a base, bolting them to the back of the speaker and connecting the wires to the drivers. An upgraded crossover is now available that comes assembled. The co. sent me this upgraded version free of charge.

There's something pure about bass from a speaker like this. You get true bass, not a fake bass reinforced by an enclosure. They are rated to go down to the upper 20s hz. and it's such a solid bass that lays a great foundation for the music. I was listening to some Buxtehude organ music the other day. Holy moly. It was like being in the church with the organ itself.
These cost $5000 but they have an alternative version which uses a Tang Band full range driver that is supposed to be excellent, too. I think the cost is about $3000.
« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2020, 08:50 pm by Randy »

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #17 on: 27 Oct 2020, 11:05 pm »
Open baffle speakers are openly baffling to me.  So are speakers with a large number of drivers clustered together producing the same high frequency range.

So are dipoles and anything bipole/radialstrahler/obelisk or anything else with a non-uniform radiator pattern intended for home listening environments. 

Pro sound and certain other design briefs uses cardioid subs and line arrays to great effect, and some brilliant people have figured out driver summation inside horn throats.

Chalkdust

• Can't I live when I'm young?!
« Reply #18 on: 28 Oct 2020, 12:03 am »
I have Lores, and I really like them.  They will poke holes in your gear, but if you’re like me and just starting out,  they are great speakers to learn with.  I started with a vintage 20 wpc receiver, went to an Elite AVR with 110 wpc, and went back to the little receiver... Until my most recent find, an Odyssey Stratos amp, which made me love the amp and the speakers more.  I did test a 6wpc tube amp.  It sounded nice, but the more i turned it up, the less i liked it.  The Lores are sensitive, but they really reward high quality amplification.  The more current you have the more you will be rewarded.    With the Stratos, I now have a very wide soundstage, great detail, great bass, and a nice presence.  If I want better imaging, I just toe the speakers in a little bit.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #19 on: 30 Oct 2020, 04:36 pm »
I have heard the JBL 380's in the new HDI series and was highly impressed.  The 360's use 6" woofers and may be better suited for smaller rooms.

The HDI series uses the same horn tech as my 4367's. 

I have been to Powell Hall several times to hear the symphony.  The 380's were driven by a Hegel 590  integrated, in playing an orchestral piece the sound was open and transparent like I get when at the hall.  There was also a set of Monitor Audio Gold we played some of the tracks through.  I like the MA but the sound was different, not as true to what I remember hearing when actually at the symphony, in my opinion the 380's did that better.  And, for rock & roll you'd be hard pressed to find a better speaker for delivering the live aspect and dynamics that the HDI and other JBL models are capable of.

If anyone wants to demo the HDI they are local in the St.L area.  As well the Monitor Audio.