GAS official Streaming Thread

Mr Peabody

GAS official Streaming Thread
« on: 31 Jul 2020, 05:12 pm »
I know many of you are into vintage and DYI but myself and I know some other GAS'ers at least stream from a hard drive.  So I wanted to start a thread to see who does stream and to share things we do and found to make improvements.

I use an Aurender ACS10 to stream from Tidal and I also have ripped my entire CD collection to it's internal hard drive.  I use the Aurender app on my iPad to control and play music.

The ACS10 only had USB out, this goes to my DAC.  I have found better quality USB cables to make a evident improvement in sound quality.

My router is not in a good area to reach my stereo.  I really never planned to stream.  So, not optimum but I use an Ethernet bridge.  I recently tried an Uptone Audio Ether Regen which goes between my ACS10 Ether input and the feed from the router.  I kept the Regen due to finding it to make a great improvement for me in sound quality.  I later upgraded all the Ethernet generic cables that came in the box with the bridge to some Bluejeans and to my surprise that was no small improvement.  The BJC were very reasonable and come with a certified test sheet.  I first tried a 1 foot Ethernet between the Regen and my ACS10, that was so positive I replaced the other connections as well.  The 1 foot made the largest improvement but I still think replacing the others helped too.  All of this was done in individual steps.

My ACS10 unfolds MQA tracks to where I can stream up to 96k but my DAC doesn't do MQA so I don't get a full unfold.  That's all the high res I do for now. 

gerchin

Re: GAS official Streaming Thread
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2020, 12:23 pm »
Evidently not a lot of streamers around here ...

I originally ran a digital S/PDIF connection from my Roku to my Steinberg UR824, sent the digital signal via USB to a small Windows PC where I implemented my digital crossover under ASIO, back to the UR824 DACs via USB and on to the amps and loudspeakers. Found the sound quality to be lacking, as everything was data-reduced MP3 and similar, plus the Roku resamples everything to 48 kHz. So I recently added Tidal HiFi; direct Ethernet connection into that same PC, some routing tricks to loop the digital output from the Tidal Windows app back into the crossover processing, and so on.

I'm still in the 30-day free Tidal evaluation, but so far I've been very impressed.

For analog sources such as phono, the UR824 also has ADCs.

vintage9594

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2020, 12:04 am »
I use a Innuos Zen Mkiii as a Roon Core that also has a built in 4Tb hard drive.  I convert the USB to S/PDIF via a Sonicweld Diverter and from there to a SW1X Audio Dac III.  I have to say this is the best digital I have had so far and feel zero need to look at anything else.  I am a tube guy so my SW1X Dac has NOS DACs and is loaded with Audio Note and Black Gate capacitors, tube rectified DACs just have a nice analog sound full of detail and lots of texture to the music.

popthinker

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2020, 01:31 am »
I've got an Innuos Zenith MkII 1TB as a Roon core, with a Synology NAS in the basement. The 1TB works fine, as I just offload stuff to the NAS as needed. At some point I'll be far enough along in my CD digitization to reload the onboard SSD. As far as cords, etc. nothing fancy. Reference USB cabling into my Devialet Expert Pro 250CI and a CA7 cable to the NAS.

May upgrade to the MkIII...or a MkIV when it inevitably comes along.
Debbie
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2020, 04:07 am by popthinker »

hdspeakerman

« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2020, 03:16 am »
Good Thread!  I would like to stream Spotify using a RPI system but I don't really know how to get started.  Glad to see this kind of information. 

gerchin

« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2020, 12:20 pm »
Good Thread!  I would like to stream Spotify using a RPI system but I don't really know how to get started.  Glad to see this kind of information.

I never got the Raspberry Pi to work to my satisfaction, but I do know someone who did. He recommends https://www.picoreplayer.org/.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2020, 03:26 pm »
Spotify Premier still only streams at 320 kbps.  As a reference CD is 1,411 kbps.  The higher level of Tidal is 1,411 or better if you can decode MQA.  Then there's Qobuz which is 1,411 or better without any decoding.

I realize Spotify is wildly popular and do their job well in providing music and service.

The easiest way I know to stream Spotify is using a streamer like the HEOS Link or Bluesound Node2.  Both have a DAC but can be bypassed to a better one.  Both have their own ap which offers Spotify and many other music services, even those that are free.  The HEOS ap is unique and some have issues with it, once I learned it I liked it a lot.  The Bluesound ap is fairly similar to Spotify and Tidal.  Both also have other products that are compatible for around the home music playing.

Using a Bluetooth adapter is cheaper and may be an option if sound quality isn't an issue.  The adapter plugs into an AUX input then you can stream from your phone ap for Spotify.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2020, 10:36 pm »
I thought I relied to this a few days ago. Anyway, I recently upgraded to an Raspberry Pi-based Allo DigiOne from my Chromecast Audio. It was a huge step up in sound quality.

I've been running Volumio on it but it can be buggy and I often have connection problems. At the suggestion of someone else more experienced with RPi streamers, I just burned a moOde image to another microSD card, but I haven't set it up in the DigiOne yet.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2020, 03:03 am »
Hi, Guys.  I have been using a trio of Blusound Node 2i streamers for Qobuz and I have to say I am delighted with the selection, speed and sound quality I have heard.  I am using the Node 2i in my home office with a Meridian AC200 DAC, in my Cloud Lounge with a Meridian Direct DAC, and in my MCH Home Theater with my Meridian G68.  They all sound great.  (I like Meridian's software based anodizing DAC's) 

I have had a lot of fun listening to stuff I always wanted to hear but never bought a CD for, like Chris Thile, Dave Grisman and Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.  My goodness have I missed some good stuff.  Goat Rodeo I and II is 'da Bomb.

Highly recommended and as easy to use as an iPhone - maybe easier !!

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
« Reply #9 on: 29 Sep 2020, 04:53 pm »
I've been using computer based audio since approximately 2004, and have had a succession of DACs.

My view is: buy a computer, use it for audio.  Skip the streamer and app-integration.  A quality DAC will last for many years, a streamer will go obsolete when the software is no longer supported.

For example:  My Oppo BDP-103 and BDP-105Ds will never talk to Qobuz or Spotify or Apple Music.  Just Tidal.

jcrane

« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2020, 08:06 am »
I've been streaming my own rips for years tos a few SB3s but with my recent upgrades I purchased a bluesound node 2i for my main rig and I'm using Heos in living room & bedroom. I stream Tidal mostly but use Spotify & XM for background music. I've been debating on trying out Qubuz & Roon but I just don't see the benefit of Roon asVinyl is my main source of music when listening critically...

Mr Peabody

« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2020, 01:50 am »
Most times a dedicated high quality streamer will out perform a computer.  Also streamers/music servers can receive firmware updates to allow additional music services or whatever. 

NAD Tom

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2022, 03:48 am »
YIKES! The Aurender costs about half of what my parents' first house cost.
I use a Western Digital My Cloud HD and Sonos wireless speakers. I can also stream Quobuz from Sonos and it sounds pretty good.
I think streaming is going to become more prevalent and the quality will increase. Maybe an Aunrender or NAD streaming rig is in my not too distant future. Until then, I'll stick with vinyl as my primary source of musical enjoyment.
happy streaming everyone!
Tom

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #13 on: 21 Mar 2022, 04:28 pm »
To anyone looking for a good budget streamer, I'd highly recommend the new Wiim Mini at $100 https://www.amazon.com/Streamer-Bluetooth-Multiroom-Multizone-Assistant/dp/B09KBSK2RS

My Allo DigiOne (based on a Raspberry Pi) sounded great...when it worked reliably, which was sadly pretty rare. I found that I was listening to music a lot less than I wanted to because the dropouts and connection problems with the DigiOne were so frustrating. Tried a couple different player OSs, and messed with every setting I could find. Even added a wired Ethernet connection. Nothing really helped.

The Wiim, on the other hand is very reliable with both Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect, and is very much plug-and-play. I use the TOSLINK out to my Schiit Modius and it sounds great. Yeah, all else equal I'd prefer coaxial S/PDIF over optical, but I can't afford to drop $600 on a Bluesound Node, and this thing just works.

EDIT: Coincidentally, looks like John Darko released this video just yesterday! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTSzAJ88zmE He compares/contrasts the Wiim to the Node near the end of the video
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2022, 08:51 pm by pinkfloyd4ever »

barbon

« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2022, 08:56 pm »
Hi,
I endorse the Raspberry Pi as a foundation for streaming. My streamer consists of an RPI4 with hard drive attached, running Open Media Vault as the server holding the music. It is always on, located in my study and connected to the router by wired Ethernet.
The player is an old RPI2 (don't need more processing power) with the Allo Digione hat feeding a lampilized DAC, both also left on 24/7. Again hard wired to the router. Not a fan of wireless in this setting.
I tried Volumio, very buggy, often failed to read my library, Moode, again buggy and would not read some ripped disks. Could never get PiCore to work, likely my fault. The player I've found most reliable has been Rune (not  Roon) which I can control from my mobile, tablet, or desktop.
The rest of the system is a TVC, valve mono block amps and frugalhorn XL single driver speakers. I try to rip all my music as FLAC, with as high a data rate as possible. The system can reveal poorly recorded, or ripped, music, but with a good recording really shines. Taken the CD player out of the system completely, vinyl still there but rarely used these days!
High bitrate internet radio can also sound excellent, low res not so good but OK for background while working.