Robert D

Re: Speaker Cable Recommendations
« Reply #61 on: 22 Aug 2010, 02:46 pm »
I just found that !

Had to Post LOL  :thumb:

KeithA

« Reply #62 on: 22 Aug 2010, 02:56 pm »
Hi Keith...I wasn't referring to anyone post. :dance: :beer:  :guitar: I like the different strokes song so any chance to get it in there is good.lol :thumb:
I take it they bring the system to another level?Which version of them are you using?

8)

I'm simply using the Satori Shotguns...so they'd be about $1,500 a set today.

I'm not saying that $7k aren't worth it to some people...it's all about priorities and personal tastes. All I'm saying is that with the dissappointment you've had over the last year by ordering the 802s and Bryston gear unheard and the 'sound' not being what you expected......it would likely happen again if you ordered a set of those cables without being able to hear them first in your system. My hunch is that the level of improvement would not be worth $7k to you.

I'm a firm believer in 'Different Strokes for Different Folks'......I dance to my own drummer all the time  :wink:

Keith

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #63 on: 22 Aug 2010, 03:03 pm »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #64 on: 22 Aug 2010, 03:20 pm »
Since everyone is so concerned with price, the Zu Libtec cable is going for 1/2 price, $599.00 direct from Zu Audio.  I have their lower grade Julian which is current sold out, I assume out of production.  Sort of useless to wax eloquently about the sound as it won't make much difference for you unless you hear them for yourself, but a clear, detailed, truthful cable, with a money back guarantee.

KeithA

« Reply #65 on: 22 Aug 2010, 04:10 pm »
Since everyone is so concerned with price, the Zu Libtec cable is going for 1/2 price, $599.00 direct from Zu Audio.  I have their lower grade Julian which is current sold out, I assume out of production.  Sort of useless to wax eloquently about the sound as it won't make much difference for you unless you hear them for yourself, but a clear, detailed, truthful cable, with a money back guarantee.

I just picked up a 'mint' set of 9ft Julians on Audiogon for $125 for my living room system. Neat little cable for sure.

Keith

Napalm

« Reply #66 on: 22 Aug 2010, 06:00 pm »
It's all about the gauge. Bigger is better. At least that's what she said.

Nap.  :green:

john1970

« Reply #67 on: 22 Aug 2010, 06:11 pm »
I use Canare 4S11 from Blue Jeans Cable as well.  I purchased two 10' cables with ultrasonically welded locking bannana plugs and could not be happier.  Frankly, I do not see the need in purchasing cables that cost thousands of dollars.  Think about it.  Bryston sells their speaker cable for $5/ft and this cable is studio grade.  IMO if it is good enough to be used to make the recording it is good enough to be used to listen to the recording!

Cheers,

John

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #68 on: 22 Aug 2010, 06:24 pm »
I use the Supra Linc 2.5. Its their basic cable. Same formula for 30 years.
Great balance, detail, bass, air, all the usual accolades, without the BS. Tin plated copper strands. Just solder the ends and forget about termination plugs.http://www.jenving.se/?p=spkr_cab

KeithA

« Reply #69 on: 22 Aug 2010, 06:50 pm »
It's all about the gauge. Bigger is better. At least that's what she said.

Nap.  :green:

True, that seems to make sense. However, I've heard smaller gauge cables that sounded better than big gauge cables...so, who knows. I have nothing against anyone buying $7k cables....just do it on your own terms and before you write the cheque or take out the debit card......make sure the level of improvement is what you'd pay the $$ for.

Keith

1oldguy

« Reply #70 on: 22 Aug 2010, 09:33 pm »
True, that seems to make sense. However, I've heard smaller gauge cables that sounded better than big gauge cables...so, who knows. I have nothing against anyone buying $7k cables....just do it on your own terms and before you write the cheque or take out the debit card......make sure the level of improvement is what you'd pay the $$ for.

Keith

I agree.......100%.I do believe (For my needs) I needn't spend an  exorbitant amount on cables.But I do feel that there is a happy medium.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #71 on: 22 Aug 2010, 09:39 pm »
I looked at the Canare 4s11, but it was only 14ga, and I wanted to get to 12 ga.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #72 on: 23 Aug 2010, 04:01 am »
I just picked up a 'mint' set of 9ft Julians on Audiogon for $125 for my living room system. Neat little cable for sure.

Keith

Yeah, I've now got my whole system wired with Zu cables.  Not by design, I have a lot of other cables around here that I want to like more, but the Zu's just keep winning out.  How would you characterize the Julians in your system?

Stu Pitt

« Reply #73 on: 24 Aug 2010, 02:32 am »
I looked at the Canare 4s11, but it was only 14ga, and I wanted to get to 12 ga.

The 4S11 is 14 ga x 4 wires.  If you single wire vs bi-wire, combining two 14 ga wires drops it down to 9 ga (or something like that).

Not to open this can of worms, but I haven't heard much difference/benefit when bi-wiring my speakers in the past.  I guess it depends on the speaker.  My current speakers don't have the bi-wire option.

I've always gotten better or at least comparable results to bi-wiring by removing the brass jumpers and replacing them with short runs of the speaker wire I was using.  Replacing the brass jumpers always gave me an improvement.

I've also heard differences when connecting the positive to one terminal and the negative to the other terminal (ie positive to tweeter terminal and negative to bass terminal).  There's also been a difference when connecting the wires to the bass terminals vs the tweeter terminals.

Reversing phase with the wires also makes a difference - connect the negative to the positive, and positive to the negative at one end only (ie the speakers and not the amp) on both speakers.

Sorry if that stuff sounds confusing.

None of that stuff makes sense scientifically, but I've heard differences in my speakers.  I'd try this stuff before investing in new or more expensive speaker cables.

Phil A

« Reply #74 on: 24 Aug 2010, 04:26 am »
I believe two 14 ga. wires combined is 11 ga.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #75 on: 24 Aug 2010, 09:26 am »

Most likely.  I don't know the mathematical formula, so I'll defer to you. 

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #76 on: 24 Aug 2010, 02:52 pm »

Then what would 2x12ga give?

srb

« Reply #77 on: 24 Aug 2010, 03:27 pm »
Then what would 2x12ga give?

9 gauge.  If the 2 wires are the same gauge then the effective gauge is 3 gauge sizes larger (-3).

If using more than 2 of the same gauge wire, or multiple wires of different gauges, you can use this Wire Gauge Calculatorhttp://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/awgcalculator.html

Steve

wywires

« Reply #78 on: 24 Aug 2010, 03:45 pm »

9 gauge.  If the 2 wires are the same gauge then the effective gauge is 3 gauge sizes larger (-3).

If using more than 2 of the same gauge wire, or multiple wires of different gagues, you can use this Wire Gauge Calculatorhttp://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/awgcalculator.html

Steve

You are correct!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #79 on: 24 Aug 2010, 04:40 pm »
Hi Folks,

I have been playing around with speaker cables for years and I have finally decided to offer a Bryston Speaker cable. I am in the process of getting it manufactured. We will terminate it with our current Bryston Spades or Expandable Bananas and offer it for sale shortly. 

It wil be a four conductor twisted pair.  9G guage with very very low inductance.  Will be Black with Bryston in White printed on the cable and called Bryston SC4.

james
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2010, 11:51 am by James Tanner »