« Reply #60 on: 18 Feb 2009, 08:23 pm »

thanks, James.

al.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: Torus - Feedback/Reviews
« Reply #61 on: 19 Feb 2009, 06:35 am »

James,

i was thinking of the noise a Torus could transport into another piece of equipment.

for example: the BP26 has an external power supply to prevent noise etc. what if i place the Torus -which has a huge transformer- just right beside any other technical equipment.

and i am (we are) for sure concerned about the performance...

al.

Hi Alex,

The Torus uses a 'Toroid' transformer - looks like a big donut - so the magnetic field is highly concentrated around the core of the transformer.
http://bryston.com/newsletters/84_files/vol8is4.html

That being said I would not place a sensitive component like a Phono stage directly on top of the Torus or on top of a large amplifier for that matter.

james

James,

can i place a Torus directly beside and/or on top of a Torus?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #62 on: 19 Feb 2009, 11:08 am »
HI Alex,

No problem stacking a Torus on another Torus.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #63 on: 19 Feb 2009, 11:12 am »
Hello James,

I demoed the Torus BX 5 from Creative Audio today. I was impressed by the unit - especially the way it handles the complex bass passages. It helps increase the speed of my amp but it also makes the music more relaxed sounding. My current conditioner is highly rated at filtering RF, EM, and digital hash but the Torus improved in that area as well. 

Thanks for answering my questions and convincing me to give the unit a tryout.

Best regards,
James Saul

Moon Doggy

« Reply #64 on: 24 Feb 2009, 10:04 pm »

I demoed the Torus BX 5 from Creative Audio today. I was impressed by the unit

I liked it so much I had to buy the BX10! The BX 5 was under rated RMS current wise for my set up and it still sounded amazing. Can't wait to hear the BX 10. Its on order! :thumb:

James

alexone

« Reply #65 on: 7 Mar 2009, 02:31 pm »
James,

Torus also has units like the BX 1 Int'l with only one outlet. would a preamp like the 26 (at least the whole system) benefit from this
installation?

thanx,

al.
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2009, 06:20 pm by alexone »

alexone

« Reply #66 on: 14 Mar 2009, 06:26 pm »
James,

Torus also has units like the BX 1 Int'l with only one outlet. would a preamp like the 26 (at least the whole system) benefit from this
installation?

thanx,

al.

James,

would it make sense to use a Torus that way? or is a Torus mainly made for amplifiers only...?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 14 Mar 2009, 07:07 pm »
A Torus Review From The Far East -I love the fact that he LISTENED

desirable audio boutique 欲望:音响

Power Struggle? Torus Power RM8A.

The Torus Power RM8A.[/b]

James of AV Designs called, "hey, are you having problems with the Torus Power?" I replied, "No, why would you say so?" James responded, "I just saw your posting called Power Struggle?, with a picture of the Pure Power and the Torus side by side".

In truth, I actually struggled to review the Torus Power RM8A, because every time I sit down and play some of my favorite music through my hifi system, with intention to evaluate it's performance and how it subjectively changes the sound perceived, I always end up just flipping thru disc after disc, for a few hours, drawn in to and subconsciously unaware, lost in music! Totally forgetting to do my evaluations just minutes in to the first song! And that, is no bad start. James must be relieved to hear that.

The Torus Power is a 32kg beast of a PLC, which required again, the help of another good friend to help me haul it up in to my first floor audio cave. The build quality is first class inside out, as should be for a top price point PLC costing RM$18K! Unlike the Pure Power reviewed the week before, with it's high tech, sophisticated look, the Torus sports a rather plain if very sturdy look. There's no fancy blue dot matrix display, no multi function settings to monitor or set. Just a plain "ON/OFF" switch on the left side that glows half orange when switched "ON". At the back panel is a standard 10A rated IEC input and only 5 British 13A style outputs! I wish there was at least 6 outputs (8 would be even better!), that way I can power my whole system via the Torus Power RM8A. James, care to advise Torus Power to be more generous with the outlets, if possible?

The theory of Torus Power as per explained by Richard of Pure Power (whom knows his competitors well!), uses a huge transformer to isolate the audio system, plugged in to it, from the rest of the power grid in your house and quite possibly your neighborhood! I tested the Torus Power RM8A by using a multi meter and found the input is indeed completely isolated from the output. However, I also found the same daisy chaining of the outlets as per Pure Power practice, but only after a filter and protection circuit board (seen on the right hand side of the internal picture). It would seems that both the Canadian companies choose to do things differently from their American and British competitors, whom seems to place more faith in individual or duplex output filtering.

The simple insides, the secret is in the giant isolation, balanced transformer, which sits on custom mounted brackets with sorbothane like material for insulation againts vibrations(which I never felt with hand placed on top of unit). Note the filter and protection circuit board on the top right, some say because of that, the right most (viewed from this pic) output sounds the best and should be used for source.

The sound, the Sound, oh.... the SOUND! With the Torus Power RM8A powering my Marantz CD7, Pass x-2.5 Pre and Aleph 0 Mono blocks, all the best virtues of my system is enhanced. The already warmish tonal flavor of the system blossomed in to a rich, full aroma gold blend coffee like "kau""kau", sensation. It's sound?, the mids are thick in density yet smooth in the highs, leaving no after taste what so ever. The bass, while not iron fist-ed like presented with the Pure Power, is just very tune full and bouncy. It doesn't make my amps sound like it's on steroids, neither did it make my speaker sound like it's grown a pair of 8 inch woofers either! It's forte is micro dynamics rather than macro dynamics! Every thing sounded as it should be, only with the musical emotion factor brought to the fore. There's a certain way the music flows through the system powered by the Torus Power RM8A. Call it P.R.A.T. but not like Naim style, which is fast and bouncy. This P.R.A.T. factor here is of the rather relaxed kind, it lulls the audiophile in me with a sense of serenity, while the music slowly but surely, does it's magic to disarm all my audiophile prejudices, and just allow me to subconsciously flow in to the music, connecting with it's emotional message. This elusive quality (seeked by so many, yet never knew it, but seldom found on systems at any price point) my fellow readers, is what separates the merely good hifi from a system with greatness!

My self, and a few other lucky souls included, have already witness the greatness in the by now legendary LS3/5A speaker, vintage amps based system of Mr Jo Ki. Jo has always waxed lyrical on the profound influence of the Torus Power RM8A had at shaping the sound of his system today. With the Torus Power RM8A in my system and from this brief experience, I can, finally relate to his point of view, because I can too, finally, experience musical playback at a higher emotional connecting level, stimulating goose bumps inducing sensory to boot. This experience is priceless, and one will not know that it's there until one experiences it. A hifi system playing music without this sensation, no matter how good it's audiophile qualities are, is just like watching the "Happy New Year's fireworks!" each year, very nice but also pretty pointless once the shows over.

O.K. back to the audiophile reality, the noise level of the system is the most silent that I've ever heard. The overall sound presentation is very coherent, almost liquid like yet very tidy. Images are solidly anchored within a sound stage (almost like you're there too!) which is beyond room boundaries, and very clear perception of depth, should a recording contains the spatial information. In live concert hall recordings, like the Jacky Cheung Live 2004, the hall ambiance is convincingly reproduced and the band backing Jacky Chueng can be clearly heard arranged in layers just behind the solid image in front, which is Jacky himself. Audience hand claps are also very realistic, very important if you need convincing yourself to "be there!".

I have a little poem, context taken and modified from a U2 song which nicely describes the at odds behavior of the Torus Power RM8A that I've experienced.

It's silent yet never dark.
It's dynamic yet doesn't thrill.
It's substance yet without style.
It's loud yet never noisy.

Greatness in a box!

By now you can probably tell, that when hifikaki takes the Torus Power away for a counter point, to see if it effectively solves the dreaded Bandar Utama power supply quality issues, I'll be having a tough time re-adjusting to the cruelty called reality! The reality is I can't afford the Torus Power RM8A at this point in time now (with bad news coming in every single day about the impending and what could be a long lasting "Great Recession!"), but I know that I have found the last piece in my equipment chain of intended purchase, the final piece that brings greatness to my system. For my system and subjectively, my ears(certainly not healthy for my bank a/c), the Torus Power RM8A (or may be the RM16A?) is still the best PLC out there today!

A Technical note: Balanced transformer? What's does it do to our music? Just like our XLR balanced interconnects, the "positive" and "negative" signal cores run along side within the cable, thus canceling out each other's noise, resulting in lower overall audible noise floor. A balanced transformer works the in the same manner where both the "live" and "neutral" carrier core is winded along side each other, thereby cancelling, each other's inherent noise, there by lowering the audible noise floor.

Torus Power is sold by AV Designs, contact James Tan, tel:03-21712828

Reviewed by Panzer
Labels: hifi journey, hifi review
[/color]
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2009, 04:19 pm by James Tanner »

drummermitchell

« Reply #68 on: 14 Mar 2009, 09:00 pm »
Yep they are,the Torus are KEEPERS :thumb:.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #69 on: 17 Mar 2009, 04:22 pm »
desirable audio boutique 欲望:音响 REVIEW PART 2

Panzer has been waxing lyrical about the Torus Power RM-8 In'tl power line conditioner; he even has a love poem for it :-) With an endorsement like that, how can I resist listening to the Torus Power RM-8 myself? Panzer is a great pal, he delivered the Torus to my place last Saturday, and, as we can see in his last post, suffered silently in withdrawal.

Well, I'll just cut to the chase - after a 3-day listening period, I admit that I am now firmly in Panzer's camp. I usually take longer to come to a final conclusion about a piece of hifi, but since my findings echo Panzer's, who has more extensive experience with the Torus, I believe my feeling is right.

Admirably, the RM-8 displayed its excellent performance even with all the cards stacked against it. First is the powercord from the wall, since mine is a Shunyata Python 20A version for my Shunyata Hydra 8, while the Torus Power RM-8 takes a 15A cord, I have to substitute with a stock powercord that came with my Pass Labs amp. Second, as the Torus Power RM-8 Int'l comes with UK style outlets, I have to use adapters for all the powercords from it to my equipment.

With all these limitations, I would not consider what I am writing as a review of the Torus Power RM-8, just take it as a person's listening experience then. The RM-8 needs some warming up period, about 2-3 hours, after that, as I left the unit powered on permanently, its temperature (just warm to the touch) and performance stabilized. Throughout all my listening sessions, my entire system sounded more confident, it was as if my Eggleston Works The Nine loudspeakers were saying, "Yes, finally this is a signal that I can really work with". All the twists and turn, dynamic swings, subtle cues and broad strokes in the music came through clearly. It is quite unbelievable that I was listening to many smeared and veiled moments in music before the Torus Power RM-8.

Take Hugh Masekela's 'Hope' CD, the spontaneous shouts and applause among the live audience never sounded so well defined and so well separated. Previously, the vocal and saxophone could sound slightly hard and shrill at certain points in the recording, but with the RM-8 in place, these artifacts were totally cleaned up. The entire recording sounded natural and unforced, even at the most explosive moments. Compared to the

Shunyata Hydra 8 that I am using now, I have to say that my system performs better with the Torus Power RM-8, as it should be at close to 3 times the price of the Shunyata. Shunyata may portray vocal, especially female, a little more colourfully and sultrily, while the Torus Power sounds really neutral, at the end of the day it would be the listener's preference that it will come down to. However, in other aspects, Torus Power is indeed ahead.

From what Panzer writes, we know he takes the Torus Power RM-8 as the leading contender for the king of PLC hill. Though there are a number of others that we have not heard, I believe he is not far off the mark. Not at all.

hifikaki

drummermitchell

« Reply #70 on: 18 Mar 2009, 02:48 am »
I'll chime as I had Shunyatas,Hydra 6,and 4 hydra 2s.when I had tried the Torus(s)
sound wise,it was as dramatic as stereo is to mono,night & day that's for sure.
I love components,where you don't have to think you hear an improvement,It's just there.
All my hydras had separate dedicated lines also.I'll never stop saying it or telling people
to at least try a Torus and if they love their music,they'll wonder how the music got along without it :D..

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #71 on: 19 Mar 2009, 11:06 am »
desirable audio boutique 欲望:音响 TORUS REVIEW PART 3

Are you ready for the shock?

Let's cut to the chase - if you are not ready for the shock, don't audition the Torus. It is going to change your paradigm about accuracy and high definition, among others. Let me state that I am auditioning the Torus with the highly annoying US-to-UK convertors, which I dread, so the Torus' performance here is a compromised one.

The best disc to illustrate Torus' strengths is none other than 2v1g.  A lot of people have told me that they can't differentiate Winnie from Regine, or vice versa. once you listen to how the Torus separates the two voices, you would then realize that the two ladies are a world apart in tone and expression. Many PLCs, including my hydra 8, didn't do a good job in making these two voices distinctive and unique. This aspect of Torus gets my highest praise - this is high-definition of the highest order. In fact, get any disc with many voices and see how Torus separates each and every one of them and give them their own character.

Another winning aspect of Torus is its accuracy. Tonally, the Torus is on the cool side of neutral, very much like audio magic stealth reference, without the sizzle. This accuracy lends a superb realism to voices in terms of diction and pitching. whether it is Rickie Lee Jones or 2v1g or Cai Qin, you could hear every word coming from the singer's mouth with shocking clarity, diction and correct pitching. No other PLC comes close in this aspect. hifikaki was uuh-ing and aah-ing when he heard the 2v1g CD being played thru Torus.

How does it compare to hydra 8 in other areas?  Well, you know me, I always love analogy. pitting the two is like comparing a girlfriend/mistress to a wife. Hydra 8 is flirtatious, seductive, desirable and colorful, always obliging (and could occasionally tell a lie or two just to please you), the perfect girlfriend. Torus is the wife, ever faithful, honest, reliable, compassionate and does her duty quietly. The hydra dresses up the music with make-up whereas the Torus does not believe in cosmetics. true, the torus does not have the hydra's femme fatale kind of seductiveness, neither does it have the voluptuousness of body and harmonic richness of the hydra but it plays music with so much conviction that you would think that is how real music should sound like. Music thru the hydra 8 is like looking thru the world with a technicolor glasses; with Torus, the glasses are perfectly clear, perfectly spec-ed and albeit a bit unglamorous.

The Torus' major strengths lie in its honesty, definition and accuracy. If you prize these criteria with top priority then this is simply the best PLC there is. but Torus is not perfect. in achieving this astounding level of accuracy and definition, it does come across as a bit thin, solid-state-y, dry and careful/cautious. Of course, I am not discounting the fact that i am using a generic 15A power cord and the terrible US to-UK adapters.

Some married men never stop having girlfriends till old age because they are bored with their wives at early stage. some married men keep girlfriend(s) at the early stage of their marriage because it is exciting but ultimately when they are tired and old, they go home to the warmth of their wives. Some men, once they get married, would never consider extra-marital affairs because their wives are the best. Some men don't even get married and just content of having girlfriends. Which kind of man are you?

maggielurva
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2009, 02:53 pm by James Tanner »

werd

« Reply #72 on: 29 Mar 2009, 06:18 am »
Hello everyone,

James i was looking around for this answer but i couldnt find it anywhere. Do u guys build these or are they done elsewhere? I think i am going to buy one of these Torus power plants... eventually.

thanx

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #73 on: 29 Mar 2009, 11:31 am »
Hello everyone,

James i was looking around for this answer but i couldnt find it anywhere. Do u guys build these or are they done elsewhere? I think i am going to buy one of these Torus power plants... eventually.

thanx

Hi Werd,

It is a colaboration between the company we are buying our transformers from which we use in all our amplifiers.  So they build the units and Bryston has world wide marketing rights.

james

drummermitchell

« Reply #74 on: 29 Mar 2009, 03:03 pm »
Werd,if you can, see if you can audition the Torus from your audio dealer,you'll be shocked and you won't want to give it back,heck you might even take out a loan or a line of credit to get one,I don't mean to infuence you or give you any IDEAS(did I say that).If you want to take your sound up quite a few notches
,you'll never regret it(their that good).

werd

« Reply #75 on: 29 Mar 2009, 03:06 pm »
Werd,if you can, see if you can audition the Torus from your audio dealer,you'll be shocked and you won't want to give it back,heck you might even take out a loan or a line of credit to get one,I don't mean to infuence you or give you any IDEAS(did I say that).If you want to take your sound up quite a few notches
,you'll never regret it(their that good).

As soon as i pay off my bda -1 on line of credit....  :icon_lol:  i will check this out..

1ZIP

« Reply #76 on: 29 Mar 2009, 07:08 pm »
Oh great!  A Torus!  Something else I'll need to talk myself into...this hobby/obsession is killing my wallet.  Oh well, better me than AIG!

drummermitchell

« Reply #77 on: 29 Mar 2009, 11:22 pm »
Hmm,That's why I work everyday,but at the end of it,it's show time.
nothing like musical satisfaction that sounds superb :D :D :D .

1ZIP

« Reply #78 on: 30 Mar 2009, 12:00 am »
How true...and then there is the educational component and the challenge of learning the theory behind excellent sound reproduction. :roll:  Not to mention that fact that it keeps you off the streets as my old dad use to say.  (I'm working on my rational and justification for more electronics) :oops:

werd

« Reply #79 on: 30 Mar 2009, 12:08 am »
  :idea: I wonder if James would let me put a Paypal jar out for donations. I need to finance this hobby somehow....  :lol: and i am not rich....