BDP pi

Rod_S

Re: BDP pi
« Reply #40 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:12 pm »
looking quite the stunner  :thumb:

Hope it takes big libraries...?

Cheers,
Marius

Wow, I like the screen, what is it, a fully graphical LCD or OLED? It surprises me to see this on a Bryston product. If it's truly graphical it's to bad this wasn't incorporated on the big BDP's.

Krutsch

« Reply #41 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:14 pm »

Little Box Big Sound
Built upon the Raspberry Pi and HifiBerry platform, thenew BDP-Pi is faster and more capable than our classic BDP-1 yet fits in a chassis 1/3rd as wide as our full size gear and costs less than half of a flagship BDP-2.

Connect
Virtually any DAC can be connected via the on-boardS/PDIF and Toslink connectors. Also, get ultra high resolution by connecting a USB DAC. You can even connect audio through HDMI.

Your Music
Connect an external USB drive containing your music library, stream your favorite internet radio stations, and enjoy lossless TIDAL streaming all on the BDP-Pi

James,

Will we be able to connect a BOT-1 to the BDP-Pi?

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #42 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:17 pm »
James,

Will we be able to connect a BOT-1 to the BDP-Pi?

Thanks.

Hi

Yes - but it will not be as fast as the BDP-2 when ripping a CD.

james

Marius

« Reply #43 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:22 pm »
Wow, I like the screen, what is it, a fully graphical LCD or OLED? It surprises me to see this on a Bryston product. If it's truly graphical it's to bad this wasn't incorporated on the big BDP's.

Check on that.
Magic would of course really make its wonders, if it were to be a touch screen, mimicking the mobile interfaces.  Thus replacing the current front panel interface, which isn't too user friendly. Judging by the buttons I fear it isn't though?.
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 3 Mar 2016, 03:58 pm »

Hi

No it is NOT a touchsreen - it is just there to show the IP address and can show album art and text etc.  It is not really intended to be used when playing music - that is what the Ipad or IPhone or Tablet or Computer is for. The display is just there to help in setup.  This product is aimed at a low cost alternative to the BDP-2 and hopefully will allow those on a restricted budget to start getting involved in quality digital playback.

james
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2016, 06:04 pm by James Tanner »

Krutsch

« Reply #45 on: 3 Mar 2016, 04:55 pm »
Hi

No it is NOT a touchsreen - it is just there to show the IP address and can show album art and text etc.  It is not really intended to be used when playing music - that is what the Ipad or IPhone or Computer is for. The display is just there to help in setup.  This product is aimed at a low cost alternative to the BDP-2 and hopefully will allow those on a restricted budget to start getting involved in quality digital playback.

james

So, less capable CPU and networking, but will still include a high quality power supply and optimized software stack for audio performance?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 3 Mar 2016, 05:07 pm »
So, less capable CPU and networking, but will still include a high quality power supply and optimized software stack for audio performance?

Power supply is a WallWart.

We've changed the output stage (Hi Fi Berry Digi+)  a bit on the coax out to have a similar output stage as the rest of our line of digital players.

james
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2016, 06:55 pm by James Tanner »

Samurai7595

« Reply #47 on: 3 Mar 2016, 07:08 pm »
James, can it be controlled via the iPad MPaD & the iPhone MPoD applications?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 3 Mar 2016, 07:16 pm »
James, can it be controlled via the iPad MPaD & the iPhone MPoD applications?

Hi

Yes I believe so but I will check with Chris.  I have been using it with Manic Moose.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 3 Mar 2016, 07:17 pm »
Hi Folks,

Rear of Bryston BDP-Pi

james

Rod_S

« Reply #50 on: 3 Mar 2016, 09:17 pm »
Hi

No it is NOT a touchsreen - it is just there to show the IP address and can show album art and text etc.  It is not really intended to be used when playing music - that is what the Ipad or IPhone or Tablet or Computer is for. The display is just there to help in setup.  This product is aimed at a low cost alternative to the BDP-2 and hopefully will allow those on a restricted budget to start getting involved in quality digital playback.

james

To bad it wasn't touchscreen. Would come in handy if one's main source of navigation was out of commission. A graphical touch screen would be orders of magnitude better than having to navigate via the hard buttons and decades old style 2 line text display currently available. Just having the new screen regardless of it being touchscreen makes it immediately more elegant and attractive to the eye in my opinion compared to the BDP1's and BDP-2.

Rod_S

« Reply #51 on: 3 Mar 2016, 09:18 pm »
Hi Folks,

Rear of Bryston BDP-Pi

james

HDMI out, very interesting.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #52 on: 3 Mar 2016, 09:49 pm »
To bad it wasn't touchscreen. Would come in handy if one's main source of navigation was out of commission. A graphical touch screen would be orders of magnitude better than having to navigate via the hard buttons and decades old style 2 line text display currently available. Just having the new screen regardless of it being touchscreen makes it immediately more elegant and attractive to the eye in my opinion compared to the BDP1's and BDP-2.

Plus a quality touch screen adds lots of costs.

james

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #53 on: 3 Mar 2016, 11:38 pm »
So, from the Rear Panel image view, it looks like it supports two USB buses?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #54 on: 3 Mar 2016, 11:41 pm »

I think you guys overestimate how big that screen is, it's 1.5" diagonal.  It's resolution is 160x128 pixels, basically it's the smallest display we could find that wouldn't break the bank.  Personally I find finger prints all over my display to be the opposite of elegant, one mans opinion.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #55 on: 3 Mar 2016, 11:42 pm »
So, from the Rear Panel image view, it looks like it supports two USB buses?

One and the Ethernet runs off of it aswell

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #56 on: 3 Mar 2016, 11:46 pm »
The BDP Pi is meant to behave identically to any other BDP product, it shares all lot of the same code.

schmidtmike76

« Reply #57 on: 3 Mar 2016, 11:47 pm »
would this unit sound as good as a BDP-2 with a BDA-2?  Just curious as Im wanting a dedicated cd player but if I could have everything at my finger tips that would be great if the SQ was just as good.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #58 on: 4 Mar 2016, 01:03 am »
would this unit sound as good as a BDP-2 with a BDA-2?  Just curious as Im wanting a dedicated cd player but if I could have everything at my finger tips that would be great if the SQ was just as good.

That's a difficult question, personally I like the BDP-pi's sound; but I'm the same guy who can't tell the difference between the BDP-1 and BDP-2.

Rocket

« Reply #59 on: 4 Mar 2016, 01:53 am »
Hi Guys,

Any idea of an estimated RRP?  Btw totally not worried about touch screen that is why I use an iPad with my BDP 1.  Really glad that you are making a cheaper product to get people into this format of music.  I'm super happy since I shelved my cdp.

Cheers Rod