BDP-2 - New Bryston Integrated Audio Device

vklyushnikov

Re: BDP-2 - New Bryston Integrated Audio Device
« Reply #140 on: 13 Sep 2015, 01:19 pm »
I agree with you on this issue.  I would like to play any track at any sample rate without thinking about it. 
Do you have a chance to upgrade or at least try new IAD?

ozzy

« Reply #141 on: 18 Sep 2015, 05:24 pm »
Has anyone successfully used the new IAD board in the Bryston BDP-2 connected via a XLR or Coax to a PS Audio Direct Stream Dac?
I have now tried two 2 separate IAD boards, and when playing Hi Rez (at 24/192 PCM) I am getting severe distortion.
Ozzy

ozzy

« Reply #142 on: 19 Sep 2015, 03:54 pm »
Until Bryston figures out the problem, I had to go back to my previous ESI Juli circuit board.
The XLR output on that board works fine with my PS Audio Direct Stream Dac.
I also went back to using the USB out with my Uptone Regens. The sound is back to wonderful.

James, Chris, Mike,
I hope you can find the time to figure out why the new IAD Board puts out so much distortion with my PS Audio Direct Stream.
Mike, never called back. Chris was too busy, etc.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #143 on: 22 Sep 2015, 07:45 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston New Integrated Audio Device - Feedback

Hi James;

The BDP-2 with the new Bryston IAD audio card is outstanding!

Bravo to you and the rest of the Bryston team! The detail and resolution of the BDP-1 is still there, but the soundstage is now deeper and wider and the imaging is spot on. Instruments now occupy a very distinct 3-D position in space, and you feel like you can reach out and touch them. The “texture” of sound is also more apparent – plucked and bowed strings really show this off.

Coming from a BDP-1 with the ESI Juli@ soundcard, the BDP-2 with the Bryston IAD is a distinctly audible improvement.

Anyone with a BDP-2 who is thinking of upgrading to the Bryston IAD should just do it, you won’t be disappointed. Also, anyone who thinks that analog is superior to digital (personally I see them as equals) should give the BDP-2/BDA-2 combination a try to hear just how good digital can be (and it’s damn more convenient than fussing with vinyl to boot).

Thanks again James for another fantastic product !

Dan

P.S. I love the look of the 19” rack mount too – it ties in nicely with my vintage 10B.

ozzy

« Reply #144 on: 22 Sep 2015, 11:56 pm »
James,

I really like my BDP-2. Especially the convenience of having my 5000+ collection at my fingertips.
But, I was told a few hours ago from Chris that my PS Audio dac doesn't like the wave form that is produced by the IAD. That is why I was getting distortion from using that combo.
So, its back to using the Bryston USB output with my 2 Jitterbugs attached and 2 Regens attached to PS Audio Direct Stream.
Which, I must say overall has greatly improved the overall sound quality from the Juli board.

James can you let me know when a fix is created? :(

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #145 on: 23 Sep 2015, 12:32 am »
James,

I really like my BDP-2. Especially the convenience of having my 5000+ collection at my fingertips.
But, I was told a few hours ago from Chris that my PS Audio dac doesn't like the wave form that is produced by the IAD. That is why I was getting distortion from using that combo.
So, its back to using the Bryston USB output with my 2 Jitterbugs attached and 2 Regens attached to PS Audio Direct Stream.
Which, I must say overall has greatly improved the overall sound quality from the Juli board.

James can you let me know when a fix is created? :(

Hi

Yes we will continue to investigate but it looks like there is a issue with compatibility on the PS Audio DAC on the SPDIF outputs from the BDP-2 - USB works fine.

james

vklyushnikov

« Reply #146 on: 25 Sep 2015, 11:02 am »
Hi James,
Did you have an opportunity to look into issue with skipping on sampling rate change? I still don't understand whether this behaviour is the same with new IAD.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #147 on: 25 Sep 2015, 01:07 pm »
Hi James,
Did you have an opportunity to look into issue with skipping on sampling rate change? I still don't understand whether this behaviour is the same with new IAD.

No change in behavoir, the delay in changing resolution is a product of a dac configuring itself for a new
resolution based on the spdif signal.  The only way to get around this is with a USB dac with a USB interface that reconfigures the dac chips automatically (ie the USB input on the BDA-2).

Cheers
Chris

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #148 on: 25 Sep 2015, 01:40 pm »
My BDP-2/BDA-2 combo drops the first half of "one" when using AES/EBU out on the IAD. With S/PDIF being "one way", the DAC has to receive a handful of samples to be able to lock onto the correct sampling frequency.

vklyushnikov

« Reply #149 on: 26 Sep 2015, 02:16 pm »
No change in behavoir, the delay in changing resolution is a product of a dac configuring itself for a new
resolution based on the spdif signal.  The only way to get around this is with a USB dac with a USB interface that reconfigures the dac chips automatically (ie the USB input on the BDA-2).

Cheers
Chris
Chris, I don't like the idea to use USB output - simply because BDP-2 / BDA-2 combo performance is better via AES interface. BTW, in BDP-2 "Getting Started" paper I read following: "If you have a Bryston BDA-1 or BDA-2 DAC, the AES/EBU connection will deliver the best sound quality". And we already have quite a few people complaining about skipping issue here and on support board. First topic about it was posted in 2013 (!!!): http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=115249.0. So it should be fixed and it is obvious how to do this - simply generate a second of digital silence on sampling rate change - like Jriver does. If this is impossible to implement without MPD team - just contact them, this is open source software.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2015, 08:10 pm by vklyushnikov »

Ola_S

« Reply #150 on: 9 Dec 2015, 02:52 pm »
Some pictures from my installation of the new IAD card can be found here

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #151 on: 9 Dec 2015, 04:35 pm »
Hi Ola,

Thanks - the pictures look great  :thumb:

Did you notice any difference in sound?

james

Ola_S

« Reply #152 on: 9 Dec 2015, 07:41 pm »
Yes I did. To be fair I didn't expect too much, I bought the card more for "feel good" reasons. The difference between the BDP-2 with juli@ card and with the new IAD-card is substantial, the BDP-2 with new card has much better resolution and the sound-stage is more three dimensional and stable. The old version sounds almost "broken" in comparison  :o I have compared the BDP-2 with my computer before and there was a small difference but no night and day difference. I found this a bit odd since the hifi press has been raving about the BDP-2 performance  :scratch:

Before I did the upgrade I compared these two chains
BDP/BDA-2 ->analogue -> AudioNET DNP -> Bryston 28B-SST
BDP-2 ->digital ->AudioNET DNP -> Bryston 28B-SST

The chain using the built in DAC in the AudioNET DNP sounded far more resolving and cleaner. After installing the IAD I did the comparison again and now the BDA-2 played as detailed as the built in DAC and even more three dimensional. The AudioNET DAC is still sounding a bit "crisper" but I prefer the DAC-2 overall (by a very small margin). Is the BDA-2 really that sensitive regarding the digital input signal? Bad PLL-circuits?

R. Daneel

« Reply #153 on: 11 Dec 2015, 05:13 pm »
Actually, I tend to think quite the opposite. No matter the signal quality, as long as the sampling rate is accurate, the BDA-2 locks onto it in less than half a second. The lock remains stable and reliable no matter the cable length, even with optical connection. It's even better than many professional hrade convertors which were meant for instant and reliable operation, always.

I have a BDP-2 with factory-installed BUC board now but I have had a BDP-1 and at one time I had both at the same time. I did not notice any differences in terms of connection reliability and BDA-2 would always miss one fraction of the first second if it had to reconfigure itself from 192kHz to 44.1kHz. I was extremely merciless in my tests, trying to cause a series of events that would freeze both machines to cause skipping as I was already having problems with BDP-1 and wanted to make sure BDP-2 would be a good choice even if it cost significantly more.

I had asked a question about this a long time ago and someone explained that unlike with CD transports where there is a prefix code delivered to the DAC so that it already "knows" what sampling rate to expect, devices like DVD players or computers don't provide this benefit.

Ron D

« Reply #154 on: 11 Dec 2015, 05:29 pm »
James - maybe I missed it on the website but is there a location to go to for the installation  instructions? A buddy of mine who has the BDA2/BDP2 combo asked me if this a best to be done by dealer or DIY....

Tia
Ron

bjski

« Reply #155 on: 11 Dec 2015, 05:35 pm »
If you ever did any work on computers it's pretty simple. Bryston has posted some video's on utube.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #156 on: 18 Jan 2016, 01:05 pm »
Hi James,

FYI, a text message from a customer who just upgraded his BDP-2 with the new audio device…

Hello! Bryston should have called it a BDP3.. it's a step-up.

The difference is immediate. It's more musical n' 3d soundstage . The highs flares up( I didn't notice much highs been rolled off until the sound card been replaced w Bryston one). You must encourage all the existing bdp2 users to listen to it.

Regards,
Low
Malaysia

Jhayman

• BDP-2/BDA-2/PSB Stratus Goldi/McCormack DNA-500
« Reply #157 on: 16 Mar 2016, 02:34 am »
Mods Please move this post into the BDP-2 feedback topic...Sorry

New here..
I just bought a BDP-2 and BDA-2, I just have to say Bravo to the Bryston Team what a Fantastic Pairing I just love how my gear sounds now, the lows are so clear, everything is so clear..Thank You for making Great Products..

« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2016, 05:27 pm by Jhayman »