Media streaming via network

thomaspf

« on: 12 Dec 2003, 06:54 am »
I have a ,compared to room correction, modest feature request for a future SP1x.

As many more other people I am trying to tie my home computer network and my sound system closer together. I have all my CDs ripped onto a media server and now want to play them back via the SP1.7. Getting a noiseless PC with a professional sound card that provides bit perfect playback over S/PDIF is quite a bit of a hassle.

I wonder how much effort it would be to add an Ethernet controller and some streaming functionality to a future SP1x processor. This is of course in addition to the 1394 interface James already promised.

I am sort of asking for Onkyo Net-Tune/Audiotron functionality. I don't care much about compressed formats but any of the lossless formats would help in wireless environments. I must assume that most studios work with hard disk recording today and that connecting a processor via S/PDIF is really an anachronism.

Cheers

Thomas

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2003, 03:42 pm »
Hi Thomas,

OK - I will pass that one on to Shane

james

thomaspf

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2003, 06:12 am »
Great, I'd be happy to talk to Shawn about the different options and implementation strategies.

Cheers

Thomas