Bias: mV or mA?

Guidof

Bias: mV or mA?
« on: 9 May 2014, 05:49 pm »
Reading references to bias settings on a variety of posts, I've seen references to mV and mA? Which is it? Is bias a voltage or a current? Please excuse my total ignorance about this.

Guido F.

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: Bias: mV or mA?
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2014, 04:06 am »
Reading references to bias settings on a variety of posts, I've seen references to mV and mA? Which is it? Is bias a voltage or a current? Please excuse my total ignorance about this.

Guido F.

You have asked a very wise question. The confusion has come from a lack of information as usual. I've written on this before, here is the short answer.

In most amplifiers there is a one ohm resistor between the cathode of the output tube and ground. We (manufacturers) measure the voltage drop across this resistor. Since it is one ohm there is a one to one relationship between mV and mA. However it is very important that you set your meter to mV or volts to measure this drop. If you set your meter to mA or amps you will be putting its resistance in parallel with our resistance and the bias will be set high.

In some amps the resistor is not 1 ohm. In our RM-10 it is 10 ohms so the reading is 300 mV which corresponds to 30 mA in the tubes. In all the Dynaco amps Hafler chose a resistor that gave the desired bias at 1.56 volts because that allows you to compare the reading to a fresh battery. This was clever because in the days before digital meters one could not be sure of the accuracy of one's meter. It turns out that a fresh flashlight battery is very accurate at 1.56 volts.  He set his Stereo 70 amplifier for 100 MA of idle current (rather high) so the resistor was 15.6 ohms.

To further confuse the matter the term "bias" is currently miss-used in it's traditional meaning. If you told an old timer you set the bias for some mV he would say you are crazy and will burn up the tubes. "Bias" is actually the much larger negative voltage we put on the tube's grid and is typically 20-60 volts (not millivolts which are 0.001 volts) depending on the tube and the desired idle current.  What we are measuring is actually the idle current of the tube as that is what is important. We really don't care what negative voltage it requires as long as the bias pot can get us there (which it cant in many amplifiers, but not mine as I have a wide range bias pot).

BTW in older amps there was often a 1/4 inch headphone jack that you connected to a real milliamp meter. However the jack had to break the cathode circuit to insert itself. The main problem was that high bias could damage your meter but more important, the switching on the jack when the plug was out could cause distortion as it oxidized over time. The last company to do this was Quicksilver, we never did.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2014, 11:11 am »
Roger,

You answered some long term nagging questions I've had regarding the subject with that post.  Thank you!

The 1 ohm resistor has no other significance to the circuit than monitoring the V drop across it for biasing, correct?

I've come to think of biasing a tube using the adjusting-a-car's-idle metaphor.  When we turn the screw on that carburetor (remember those?) we're adjusting the flow of gas through the carb.  But what we monitor is the RPM of the engine.  We don't care how many gallons/minute of gas we're using like we don't care what the actual bias voltage presented to the grid is.  What's important is the RPM of the engine.  Likewise, the current through the tube is what's important in biasing.  I've stopped talking about biasing in terms of voltage altogether to eliminate this confusion.  If we all stuck to biasing in terms of mA (a term almost never used with respect to the control grid) then there will be no doubt as to what we're actually talking about.

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2014, 08:46 pm »
This thread is bringing back  memories of  a thread I started about a year ago  over in the tube-0-pyhile circle.   I was going to have a stab at answering  the original post but figured I'd better leave it for Roger.  After reading  Roger's response, I'm glad to know   I'd have answeredit pretty much correct :)

Eric,   you   helped answer my questions   back then  with that same analagy, glad I learned something  !!

-jay

Guidof

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2014, 09:24 pm »
Roger, thank you for the enlightening explanation. Now I know that measuring the bias is actually measuring the voltage drop across the 1 Ohm resistor, so one is indeed reading mV!

Regards,

Guido F.