Tekton 4.5 OB's

Poultrygeist

Tekton 4.5 OB's
« on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:50 am »
At first I sold them short for sounding thin and bass shy. I didn't feel
they measured up to the regular 4.5. You see I set them up like conventional bookshelf speakers out from the wall on stands, slightly toed in with me sitting in the sweet spot of the triangle.  I've listened to them for several weeks like that and been less than impressed but tonight I tried something totally unorthodox. I toed them in slightly but placed my chair half way between them on the same plane and with my ears even with all four Fostex's. This way I'm hearing as much from the rear drivers as from the front drivers and the difference is like night and day. They sound rich and full and the bass is well defined. They have an intimate quality not unlike a fine set of headphones. I wonder if Eric has ever listened to them this way?

Poultrygeist

Re: Tekton 4.5 OB's
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:54 am »

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:55 am »
I toed them in slightly but placed my chair half way between them on the same plane and with my ears even with all four Fostex's.

You're still in a triangle? Wasn't the chair midway before?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2011, 11:54 am »
Perhaps, but a triangle with all sides collapsed upon the same plane.

These would make exceptional computer monitors as you can place them on a wide desk or on stands two to three feet on each side of the screen. Their foot print is only 12" X 9" and 13" x 3/4" for the front baffle.

I've seen several of these showing up on A'gon for low prices. Wouldn't be surprised if improper placement resulted in their resale.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:02 pm »
I'm just trying to clarify if you have changed the position of the speakers and listening chair as well as the orientation of the speakers themselves. It sounds as though you have.

sebrof

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2011, 01:36 pm »
I'm just trying to clarify if you have changed the position of the speakers and listening chair as well as the orientation of the speakers themselves. It sounds as though you have.

Sounds as if he moved his chair forward so the speakers are at either side of his head, and also toed them in (towards him) some.

RCduck7

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2011, 03:15 pm »
At first I sold them short for sounding thin and bass shy. I didn't feel
they measured up to the regular 4.5. You see I set them up like conventional bookshelf speakers out from the wall on stands, slightly toed in with me sitting in the sweet spot of the triangle.  I've listened to them for several weeks like that and been less than impressed but tonight I tried something totally unorthodox. I toed them in slightly but placed my chair half way between them on the same plane and with my ears even with all four Fostex's. This way I'm hearing as much from the rear drivers as from the front drivers and the difference is like night and day. They sound rich and full and the bass is well defined. They have an intimate quality not unlike a fine set of headphones. I wonder if Eric has ever listened to them this way?

Have you tried them without stands? I'm guessing you might feel more bass with the cabinet on the floor. I can imagine they sound rich and full the way your sitting between the speakers like a headphone setup but i can't imagine listening to them this way you hear perfect placemet of instruments, voices in the middle... Just like listening with a headphone your hearing much but your just hearing left and right.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2011, 06:24 pm »
The Tekton cabinets are the size of small bookshelf speakers and wouldn't be suitable for floor placement.

Even in this close nearfield arrangement I don't sense left and right, just a nice broad soundstage. I suspect it's spaciousness is due to the sound radiating from the front drivers joining up with the sound from the rear drivers. OB is a different animal.

RCduck7

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2011, 07:54 pm »
The Tekton cabinets are the size of small bookshelf speakers and wouldn't be suitable for floor placement.

Even in this close nearfield arrangement I don't sense left and right, just a nice broad soundstage. I suspect it's spaciousness is due to the sound radiating from the front drivers joining up with the sound from the rear drivers. OB is a different animal.

Ah, it just slipped my mind that they are open baffle designs. That should helped a lot.