Sensation Dodd Tube Buffer

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
Re: Sensation Dodd Tube Buffer
« Reply #80 on: 21 Jun 2010, 12:37 pm »
Mariusz, that's a good suggestion. From now on it will be sideways! I agree it will be easier for most to get at it that way.
gary

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #81 on: 21 Jun 2010, 12:58 pm »
How hard would it be to make an add-on tube buffer that users of the ONE and TWO could use. Like a little external unit to put in the signal path with similar look of ONE's and TWO'2, like a neighboring piece between your source and ONE's,TWO's...that would make these
units more attractive to enthusiasts, first time users to introduce the whole tube rolling, molding your sound idea. Just a thought :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #82 on: 21 Jun 2010, 01:21 pm »
Mariusz, that's a good suggestion. From now on it will be sideways! I agree it will be easier for most to get at it that way.
gary

Thanks Gary :thumb:

(Please do not think of it as being pain in the a** Gary.
I really want this to be the best it can be, safe and user friendly.)

Mariusz :wink:

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #83 on: 21 Jun 2010, 02:57 pm »
How hard would it be to make an add-on tube buffer that users of the ONE and TWO could use. Like a little external unit to put in the signal path with similar look of ONE's and TWO'2, like a neighboring piece between your source and ONE's,TWO's...that would make these
units more attractive to enthusiasts, first time users to introduce the whole tube rolling, molding your sound idea. Just a thought

He already does.

Finished: http://doddaudio.com/BatteryPoweredTubeBufferPreamp.aspx

And as a kit: http://doddaudio.com/diy.aspx

OzarkTom

« Reply #84 on: 24 Jun 2010, 02:26 am »
tube shoot-out #6:

Sylvania 12au7 vs. Raytheon 12au7-black plate

Lets review these two tubes. Frankly I would call it a dead heat. The Sylvania has a little bit better focus and sharper detail, while the Raytheon has a little wider soundstage and a little more 3D effect. For glow value, the Raytheon has this one, not quite as nice as the RCA. The Raytheon is definitely a keeper.

I won a Telefuken on Ebay for 15 bucks last night. We will see if those Germans got it better.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #85 on: 24 Jun 2010, 06:07 am »
tom, don't forget the raytheon 5814wa black plate and brimar 13d5.

OzarkTom

« Reply #86 on: 30 Jun 2010, 10:18 pm »
I received some more tubes in finally, will be testing those next week. Anybody else here using their Sensation with the tube buffer yet?

Mariusz, how is your amp sounding? Has it fully broken in?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #87 on: 30 Jun 2010, 10:45 pm »
Guys..different size tubes have different sound correct? I have a "cheap and cheerful" GF Tube buffer in transit that uses 6J1's and my GF DAC uses 6N3 5670's so I should get a different tube sound with the buffer correct??

PSB Guy

« Reply #88 on: 30 Jun 2010, 10:51 pm »
Guys..different size tubes have different sound correct? I have a "cheap and cheerful" GF Tube buffer in transit that uses 6J1's and my GF DAC uses 6N3 5670's so I should get a different tube sound with the buffer correct??
Yeah, different tubes will definitely have different sounds, and different types of the same tube (say 5654W vs. 6J1) will have different sound. The same goes for different manufacturers (GE, Phillips, etc.) and even different batches of the SAME type and make of tube. It's a real crap shoot (in a good way), it's part of the fun of tubes.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #89 on: 30 Jun 2010, 10:58 pm »
The 5670/6N3/2C51/396A have different pinouts than the 12AX7 or 6DJ8 families.  They are not compatible.

dboulet

« Reply #90 on: 30 Jun 2010, 11:12 pm »
Anybody else here using their Sensation with the tube buffer yet?

Mine should be on its way soon...  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #91 on: 30 Jun 2010, 11:31 pm »
 :dance:

PSB Guy

« Reply #92 on: 30 Jun 2010, 11:40 pm »
The 5670/6N3/2C51/396A have different pinouts than the 12AX7 or 6DJ8 families.  They are not compatible.
Don't know if this was meant for me, but just in case I was misunderstood - by trying different tubes, I did mean different COMPATIBLE tubes, ie. 5654 for 6J1, 5670 for 6N3, and on and on...do the research before tube rolling...anyhoo, enjoy the tube buffer Ed.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #93 on: 1 Jul 2010, 12:10 am »
Not meant for anyone, just a caution on tube rolling using units compatible with the design.

Mariusz

« Reply #94 on: 1 Jul 2010, 12:16 am »
I received some more tubes in finally, will be testing those next week. Anybody else here using their Sensation with the tube buffer yet?

Mariusz, how is your amp sounding? Has it fully broken in?

Hi Tom

I got about 35-40 hours on it, so it isn't quite there yet.
But it sounds very promising. (This is the second Sensation/buffer unit, with standard virtuecaps and wiring)
Unfortunately, I did not have the time to compare the Sonicap upgraded unit to stock Sensation which I am listening to right now.

Side note:
Stock JJ tube is OK but a bit sterile and harsh to my ear.
Mullard which I got this weekend from our mutual friend is somewhat blunt but in a good way.
Certainly beneficial on "hot" recordings as well as more settling and pleasant/forgiving then JJ.
More tubes awaiting their shot at the crown.

(will post some pics tomorrow)

Mariusz

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #95 on: 1 Jul 2010, 12:33 am »
Haha... Tommy didn't wait for the starter gun so he's been mostly all alone in his evals.  Can't wait for y'all to get yours.  Gary just finished a bunch of modules and new Sensations will go out again on Monday.  He's upgrading several mail-ins today.   :drool:

OzarkTom

« Reply #96 on: 1 Jul 2010, 12:58 am »
Stock JJ tube is OK but a bit sterile and harsh to my ear.
Mullard which I got this weekend from our mutual friend is somewhat blunt but in a good way.

What speakers are you running? What kind of tweeters? You might want to try a Raytheon or RCA if the JJ is too bright on your system, They are on the warm side, but not as much as the Mullard. I just got in a new tube in this week, and it is blowing me away. Best vocals I have heard yet. I need to do more tests.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #97 on: 1 Jul 2010, 01:40 am »
What tube are you trying in the buffer? 

Mariusz

« Reply #98 on: 1 Jul 2010, 03:11 am »
What speakers are you running? What kind of tweeters? You might want to try a Raytheon or RCA if the JJ is too bright on your system, They are on the warm side, but not as much as the Mullard. I just got in a new tube in this week, and it is blowing me away. Best vocals I have heard yet. I need to do more tests.

Speakers are of DIY origin (Various single driver BLH, OB 15" Audio Nirvana, Fostex/Jordan based monitors with exception of Martin Logan Aerius "i")

Some pics of the unit itself:

My earlier switch issue visualized:

Tube module

Back - got to love those binding posts

and

Amperex/HP, Mullard/GE (2), Sylvania (3), GE, Tung-Sol (2)

Mariusz

OzarkTom

« Reply #99 on: 1 Jul 2010, 03:32 am »

I an afraid to say until I find out who actually made it. People here would probably laugh at me.