Virtue amp with Magnepan 1.6 etc?

Rclark

Re: Virtue amp with Magnepan 1.6 etc?
« Reply #40 on: 4 Sep 2011, 12:01 am »
Neekos that's an ERC-2 player and I absolutely love it. That's also an XDA-1 dac and it sounds great! I think with the Virtue amp it's a great sounding, combination.

I need the sub because my MMG's really aren't putting anything out below 80hz since the amp cuts off at that freq.

I'm sure I'd be having a different experience otherwise. But like this, letting the sub do bass, and keeping the Maggies above 80hz sounds fabulous, and is probably giving me something of an SPL boost as well.

Mike's right, I would use the term reference level to call the SPL level I'm capable of reaching with this setup. Some cd's are louder than others, of course.

Again the only reason I bring any of that up is after extensive reading about the MMG I was fully expecting my amp to not have the juice to run them and that they would be near whisper quiet until I got them modded or until I could afford some uber amp monoblocks.

It took literally 30 seconds of hearing them to begin dismantling my monitor setup and carry the stands to the living room.

Once they get modded, I will run them alone without this sub, or I will add ob servo bass, and I will get a different amp to run them full range.

OzarkTom

« Reply #41 on: 4 Sep 2011, 12:38 am »
So how much did you steal the MMG's for? You probably said, but I missed it.

neekomax

« Reply #42 on: 4 Sep 2011, 12:41 am »
Neekos that's an ERC-2 player and I absolutely love it. That's also an XDA-1 dac and it sounds great! I think with the Virtue amp it's a great sounding, combination.

I need the sub because my MMG's really aren't putting anything out below 80hz since the amp cuts off at that freq.

I'm sure I'd be having a different experience otherwise. But like this, letting the sub do bass, and keeping the Maggies above 80hz sounds fabulous, and is probably giving me something of an SPL boost as well.

Mike's right, I would use the term reference level to call the SPL level I'm capable of reaching with this setup. Some cd's are louder than others, of course.

Again the only reason I bring any of that up is after extensive reading about the MMG I was fully expecting my amp to not have the juice to run them and that they would be near whisper quiet until I got them modded or until I could afford some uber amp monoblocks.

It took literally 30 seconds of hearing them to begin dismantling my monitor setup and carry the stands to the living room.

Once they get modded, I will run them alone without this sub, or I will add ob servo bass, and I will get a different amp to run them full range.

How is the sub connected in your system?

Rclark

« Reply #43 on: 4 Sep 2011, 01:38 am »
To the guy who says they're too close together, The room isn't super wide, and they're roughly in the spot for cardas method. I need to do fine tuning but where they are now they knock my socks off. Any wider and I start hearing a pair of speakers instead of getting a soundstage.  So yeah, it's all about the room. The photo is deceptive, they are nearly 4' apart.

Neekos, the dac has two RCA outs and two balanced outs. All I have is RCA so for the time being I'm using y-splitters into the subs. The XDA has a strong output so splitting is not having any bad effect in this instance.

However, I am on the que to try the Warpspeed attenuator, and possibly the Dodd inline buffer so perhaps I'll have an extra set of outs with the Warpspeed I can drive the subs with.

Tom I bought these used for $375 shipped off Audiogon. They are $599 new, which absolutely floors me, because now after hearing them, if you were to have set them up and then blindfolded me, I'd assume we were listening to some very very expensive speakers. Something many thousands of dollars.

The rub is that the speakers are not expensive, but they warn you that you MUST have a strong 4ohm amp of high quality. So I have to credit the Virtue Two.2 as being a very ballsy SQ amp despite being "only" 87 watts. In that respect it must be acting like a powerful tube amp.

I also have to credit my Astron LS-10A power supply, let's face it, it's a beast.

I honestly figured they would be "pretty good" until I could get them modded, and I thought I was going to have to switch over to the monitors for rock and more dynamic music. I thought I'd have both sets of speakers in my room till December.

No, they really are amazing, in this setup, they play everything better than my monitors. And those monitors are very, very good speakers.

The GR-Insignia mod speaker is considered the equivalent of a $500-$1000 monitor. It's got a Danny Richie crossover, new bracing, cabinet reinforcement, no-rez lining, better wire, etc. The only thing they do better than the MMG is play probably 10dB louder, stupid loud.

OzarkTom

« Reply #44 on: 4 Sep 2011, 03:12 am »
The Headphone market is currently going nuts over the Audeze and Hifiman magnetic planer headphones. I guess it is like Magnepans in a can.

Rclark

« Reply #45 on: 4 Sep 2011, 04:03 am »
 Oh and before everyone starts thinking they can barter 375 shipped on Audiogon for near new MMG's, one caveat: part of the reason I got such a sweet deal is the previous owner was a classical musician who had modded them with upper and lower aftermarket stands, and there is a small drill hole on the top corner of each speaker. It's not noticeable and was irrelevent to me as I am having these undergo the full enchilada mod.

Otherwise, a near new set like mine, without the effects of modding, would be worth a lot more. If I hadn't found a deal I liked, I would have had no problem buying new, in fact, I preferred the idea. I got very lucky.

Tom I'd love to try some planar headphones after trying this. But it's funny, because I was just thinking that Magnepans are like gigantic headphones for your room.

I am still floored, btw. Incredible speakers.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #46 on: 4 Sep 2011, 03:56 pm »
The Headphone market is currently going nuts over the Audeze and Hifiman magnetic planer headphones. I guess it is like Magnepans in a can.

I have a pair of hifiman he4's headed my way  :D I've heard them before and was floored I can't wait to power them with my sensation :-)
I've always loved the sound of Maggie's and have been watching for a set myself.

I'm alsolooking for a headphone amp. Anyone looking to make a trade?

HiFlight

« Reply #47 on: 5 Sep 2011, 01:21 am »
I have a pair of hifiman he4's headed my way  :D I've heard them before and was floored I can't wait to power them with my sensation :-)
I've always loved the sound of Maggie's and have been watching for a set myself.

I'm alsolooking for a headphone amp. Anyone looking to make a trade?

Jason...

I have been powering my HE-6 with my Sensation + tube buffer (running a 12AU7 Bugle Boy) and I cannot imagine better sound.  Skip the headphone amp and stay with the Sensation!    Yes, the HE-6 does sound a lot like my Maggies, or vice versa.  If you really do want a headphone amp and have a couple of hours for DIY, the Project Sunrise sounds superb.  I am using my 24v Virtue stock power supply as an upgrade...works beautifully with this amp.  You can check it out here: 
http://store.garage1217.com/project-sunrise-hybrid-class-a--tube-headphone-amplifier.html

Ron

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #48 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:56 pm »
Jason...

I have been powering my HE-6 with my Sensation + tube buffer (running a 12AU7 Bugle Boy) and I cannot imagine better sound.  Skip the headphone amp and stay with the Sensation!    Yes, the HE-6 does sound a lot like my Maggies, or vice versa.  If you really do want a headphone amp and have a couple of hours for DIY, the Project Sunrise sounds superb.  I am using my 24v Virtue stock power supply as an upgrade...works beautifully with this amp.  You can check it out here: 
http://store.garage1217.com/project-sunrise-hybrid-class-a--tube-headphone-amplifier.html

Ron

thanks Ron.
I like the looks of that little amp.
if I do get a headphone amp I'll probably try the hifiman amp first but I do like to build... :P

Rclark

« Reply #49 on: 6 Sep 2011, 10:26 pm »
so, several days later.

I was pondering my posts, was I overreacting? Imagining things?

And each time I would go in, select a disc, settle in and listen, and walk out muttering "nope, they're incredible. Incredible."

I suppose I have the audiophile bug like everyone here and when I listen I can imagine what the Magnestand transformation will bring to the table. A new crossover with Dueland components bringing sensitivity up 6db and making the mylar surface one single driver instead of segmenting it.

I know about crossovers making a difference after taking out the saltine cracker of a crossover from my Insignia's and replacing them with the weighty, substantial GR crossover and hearing that. BTW I think I gave those speakers short shrift. In their defense they have an excellent textured sound, and in light of hearing the MMG's, they are much more impressive speakers than I initially gave them credit for. They will make excellent surrounds but were fantastic as mains. The MMG's are just so much more grand in the musical presentation. The MMG's are truly a whole different league, but the GR-Insignia mod are fantastic for a little over $200 invested.

But anyway, looking forward to wringing this sound out and then getting these modded to the nth level.

...Kinda want to put a THREE on them as well  :thumb: