Water Heater

Odal3

Re: Water Heater
« Reply #20 on: 15 Sep 2015, 01:27 am »
Thank you all for all the good info. Much appreciated. But you guys are scaring me :-)

But do you need a 50 gallon?
- It's for a 5 family house with 2.5 bath. Current set-up is natural gas.

The contractor charged $55 installed for a new shutoff valve.  I priced the valve at just over $5 at HD.
Maybe I will get some extra stuff beforehand that may be needed for installation and return what's not used.

@Mikeeastman - Many thanks for the instructions for flushing it out. If it wasn't so old I would definitely try this first.

It doesn't appear that you have much to think about.
. You're right about this, but I'm glad I asked the question here since I got a lot of very useful info.

bringing the exit vent piping up to code for a gas unit
Keeping my fingers crossed that it will not be needed.

The additional point about having it pass an inspection if requested when you sell is also important
Excellent point. When I think about it, I actually had a friend that when selling his house, the water heater didn't pass the inspection so he had to replace it anyway.

I spent about 4 or 5 hundred more dollars than my DIY neighbors

DIY vs installers: With my bad back, I wouldn't be able to get the new or old heater into the basement, so in my case the installation $ is preferred vs physical thearapy $. Plus, I need to save the back for when it's time to move the subs  :lol:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #21 on: 15 Sep 2015, 03:28 am »

- It's for a 5 family house with 2.5 bath.

That works out to 1/2 a bath for each family.  Kinda cozy, eh?

:o   :scratch:

Odal3

« Reply #22 on: 15 Sep 2015, 04:03 am »
 :lol: Oups - 1 family ... 5 family members

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #23 on: 23 Sep 2015, 08:31 pm »
I agree with the others who said after 17 years, just get a new one and let them do it. Water heaters have a service life you can decide on, more money for longer life,  but a very inexact science. Your only other decision would be how big - you only get one shot at those decisions :) .

Wind Chaser

« Reply #24 on: 24 Sep 2015, 02:41 pm »
I agree with the others who said after 17 years, just get a new one and let them do it.

I'm not sure about that. Hot water tanks don't need much maintence, and most people I have spoken with don't do anything at all to maintain their HWT.  :nono:

Odal3

« Reply #25 on: 12 Oct 2015, 03:15 am »
Time for a follow-up, and I have to say it's so nice with a hot shower again vs luke warm!! Got a Rheem water heater from home depot - the installers had a lower price in their system vs the home depot (which they honered) so I got a a little bit of discount.

So far so good. Thanks again for everyone's help!