Help me understand the need for good Pre amplifier?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Help me understand the need for good Pre amplifier?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jan 2022, 02:30 pm »
On the other hand, many experienced audiophiles consider a good preamp to be essential. I think listeners focus on different aspects of musical reproduction and what one listener hears as "colored" another hears as "musical" and what one calls "accurate" another perceives as "sterile." Harbeth speakers tick all the boxes for some listeners and Martin Logans do it for others. There's no singular path to universally satisfying sound.

I absolutely agree with Photon's statement above.

I fall into the 'gotta have a preamp' camp. A couple years ago, I tried going without a preamp after I bought a DAC with volume control. It was 'okay', but not as pleasing as with a preamp. I also tried a cheap eBay volume control (for about $50) which I didn't care for - possibly because it employs cheap resistors. [You're welcome to try it.] Good quality volume controls <I think> are available in the $450 to $600 range.

You asked about an Icon Audio preamp. I read the company's description of it, and saw that it is a 6SN7 design. Both of my preamps are Don Sachs 6SN7 designs. I very much enjoy what they do for my listening experience. I imagine the Icon Audio preamps will do much the same, but I have no personal experience with this model. With two D Sachs Model 2 preamps, I'm extremely biased, so my unabashedly enthusiastic recommendation is to try a Don Sachs preamp if it fits your budget. 

Michael

Photon46

« Reply #21 on: 7 Jan 2022, 04:23 pm »
One of my preamps (DeHavilland UltraVerve) also use 6sn7 tubes and there's definitely something extra that 6sn7 tubes bring to the party compared to my 9 pin tube preamps that I've had. The DeHavilland's designer calls it "big tone" and it's probably what those in the "accuracy" camp of enthusiasts would call "coloration." To my ears/brain it's enhanced tonal saturation. Unlike JLM's experience, I've found every tube preamplifier I've owned to sound quite different from each other.

rotarius

« Reply #22 on: 7 Jan 2022, 04:34 pm »
Most certainly prefer octals to the 9 pins.  More open and more 3D.  Call it coloration or whatever, without them the sound becomes flatter even if the tonal balance is accurate to the source.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 7 Jan 2022, 05:50 pm »
Most certainly prefer octals to the 9 pins.  More open and more 3D.  Call it coloration or whatever, without them the sound becomes flatter even if the tonal balance is accurate to the source.

IME, octals don't 'add' tone and richness.  They preserve it. 

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #24 on: 8 Jan 2022, 04:04 pm »
I am not using a seperate preamplifier at all any more.  😋

Frank

Nsm1979

« Reply #25 on: 8 Jan 2022, 04:36 pm »
Frank,  did you go integrated or omit the preamp altogether and go DAC to amp? 

charmerci

« Reply #26 on: 8 Jan 2022, 06:25 pm »

Frank

Ah come on, Frank. You have deep knowledge about the function and effects of what pre-amps should and can do.

Chazz5

« Reply #27 on: 8 Jan 2022, 10:56 pm »
I am not using a seperate preamplifier at all any more.  Frank

Frank, I have your Transcendence 10 RB preamplifier on order, so I hope to enjoy the product of your craft and engineering skill if not to go along with your current opinion.

jmc207

« Reply #28 on: 9 Jan 2022, 01:25 am »
Frank, I have your Transcendence 10 RB preamplifier on order, so I hope to enjoy the product of your craft and engineering skill if not to go along with your current opinion.

Frank is just not using a traditional analog preamp at this time. I believe he's alluding to using his new all-in-one Digital Preamp/DAC.
https://avahifi.com/products/dva-digital-preamplifier

trebejo

« Reply #29 on: 18 Jan 2022, 07:36 am »
Now, if your date talks about that other guy with his sexy turntable...

Kw6

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jan 2022, 07:52 pm »
I see 😊

Kw6

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jan 2022, 07:58 pm »

Frank

Please share? Or please post on your circle?😊

Chazz5

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jan 2022, 12:49 am »
Frank, I have your Transcendence 10 RB preamplifier on order...

Ordered and received a Transcendence RB 10 preamp. First couple of hours in modest-size living room at moderate-low volumes, fed from JDS Lab Atom+ DAC: just great. It hits the sweet spot, not muddy like some tube setups, not bright like the Emotiva BasX PT1 preamp that I had tried.

MrBunky

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jan 2022, 06:02 am »
I always prefer a high-quality tube preamp with not a huge amount of gain. i own several really nice ones. your milage may vary.

Kw6

« Reply #34 on: 23 Jan 2022, 05:44 am »
Thanks for all your suggestions!  :)