Opinions on the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II?

EdRo

• Industry Participant
Opinions on the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II?
« on: 4 Feb 2016, 11:38 pm »
I've done some looking for amps, and I ran across the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated. Has anyone spent quality time with this particular unit?
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2016, 09:00 am by EdRo »

EdRo

• Industry Participant
Re: Opinions on the Rouge Crocus Magnum II?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2016, 12:55 am »
Anyone?

mav52

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2016, 01:17 am »
Nice piece of equipment with customer service that's right here in the states.  I've owned two of their preamps and they always impress in their price range.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2016, 01:18 am »
Thank you Mav52.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2016, 01:40 am »
Hello, EdRo.

I suspect you'd get more activity if the amp in the subject line were called the ROGUE Crocus Magnum II. Also, maybe recasting it as 'Need impressions of the Rogue Crocus Magnum II' might prompt more people to reply.

I have never seen this amp, so I cannot offer any opinions about it. However, I have done some research recently and auditioned another integrated amp (that isn't sold in the US) that allows me to make this simple statement about tube amps/preamps. Mind you, this is my opinion only.  I see the Rogue's tube complement is 3 x 12AU7, 2 x 12AX7, 4 x KT90. I now have a beginner's understanding of tube amps and preamps, but it is enough to know that I personally prefer the sound that '6' series tubes (for ex. 6922EH, 6DJ8) produce over the sound that '12' series tubes produce.

Of course, YMMV on tube complements.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/rogue-audio-cronus-magnum-integrated-amplifier-tas-209-1/

I hope my reply helps nudge others into commenting.

Happy Lunar New Year!

Michael

geowak

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2016, 01:53 am »
I really tried to listen to this amp. There were two Sound and Vision stores within 60 miles of me that carried it. Whenever I went to these stores the sales people did not demo it for me. They were more interested in selling HT stuff to the other customers. One sales guy said, "hey just help yourself and listen". He disappeared and I did not see him again. I went back some three weeks later and they said they will stop carrying the brand???? Huh???

mav52

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2016, 02:48 am »
Hello, EdRo.

I suspect you'd get more activity if the amp in the subject line were called the ROGUE Crocus Magnum II. Also, maybe recasting it as 'Need impressions of the Rogue Crocus Magnum II' might prompt more people to reply.

I have never seen this amp, so I cannot offer any opinions about it. However, I have done some research recently and auditioned another integrated amp (that isn't sold in the US) that allows me to make this simple statement about tube amps/preamps. Mind you, this is my opinion only.  I see the Rogue's tube complement is 3 x 12AU7, 2 x 12AX7, 4 x KT90. I now have a beginner's understanding of tube amps and preamps, but it is enough to know that I personally prefer the sound that '6' series tubes (for ex. 6922EH, 6DJ8) produce over the sound that '12' series tubes produce.

Of course, YMMV on tube complements.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/rogue-audio-cronus-magnum-integrated-amplifier-tas-209-1/

I hope my reply helps nudge others into commenting.

Happy Lunar New Year!

Michael

The magnum II uses 4 kt120, the old regular Cronus used 4 88's.   To the op go listen and make sure the salesperson lets the integrated warmup and uses a good souce and not some iPhone in a docking station.  Take your own music and try different speakers. 

bajaed

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2016, 06:28 am »
Ed, I've had my Cronus Magnum for about 5 years and love it. For the last couple years it's been driving my Vapor Breeze and sounds incredible with them. Killer amp and a great value.

Definitely listen to one that's warmed up. The Rogue responds well to tube rolling. I've heard the II offers a lot of improvements on an already great amp.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2016, 08:56 am »
Thanks bajaed!
Ed, I've had my Cronus Magnum for about 5 years and love it. For the last couple years it's been driving my Vapor Breeze and sounds incredible with them. Killer amp and a great value.

Definitely listen to one that's warmed up. The Rogue responds well to tube rolling. I've heard the II offers a lot of improvements on an already great amp.

maty

Re: Opinions on the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II?
« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2016, 09:45 am »
-> http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Cronus_Magnum.htm

20Hz-30KHz bandwidth

The 100% valve amplifiers are highly conditioned by the quality of its output transformers. The minimum requirement is 70 kHz at -3 dB in a good amp.

Maybe is a wrong date. It can not be as low, ask the manufacturer.

rpf

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2016, 03:45 pm »
The Rogue Cronus Magnum comes with KT120s but can use KT90, KT88, 6550, KT77, KT66, 6L6GC, and EL34.

I prefer the sound of the Genalex KT66s in my original Magnum but they do produce less power than the ones listed before them above. The small tubes make for a large difference in sound. I prefer RadioTechnique in the pre position, NOS Mullards in the other spots. Raytheon/RCA black-plates are also good in any of the positions. GE long plate 12AX7s work well also followed by the Genalex reissue 12A_7 tubes. Upgrading the fuses adds some refinement.

The original is a very good amp and excellent value. The new version being even better must be a steal.
« Last Edit: 8 Feb 2016, 07:51 pm by rpf »

jlawson1977

« Reply #11 on: 8 Feb 2016, 03:56 pm »
I've owned several pieces from Rogue Audio : Perseus and Athena preamps, Stereo 90 and M150 Mono's, Cronus Magnum, and a Sphinx.  Great products, even better customer service!.  Rogue tube gear typically sounds less "tubey" than most tube gear.  The Cronus Magnum responds very well to tube rolling.  In stock trim it leans more to the warmer, musical side.  The Magnum II with the KT120s is sweet.  You get the KT120 punch and extension, while maintaining the sweet musical nature.  Tube rolling let's you fine tune the sound to match your system.  I really like the RCA Cleartops in the 12au7 sockets, and Sylvania Gold Brand/Gold Pin in the 12at7 sockets.  Telefunken ribbed plates also sounded great. Those combos worked very well together in my system.

Neworleanssooner

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2016, 02:21 am »
I've had my Cronus Magnum II exactly one week today.   I chose between a Luxman that was twice the price and the Rogue.  I purchased a Rega Brio R in April and the Rogue dealer I purchased from gave me almost full trade in value on the Brio and that along with not being able to audition the Luxman made it a no brainier. I'm not an audiophile, but I do know I really enjoy what is coming through my GoldeEar Triton 7's and it's no where close to being fully broken in yet.  I listen to a lot of smooth jazz and classic rock.   The sound is very crisp and clear.  Voices are amazing and horns and acoustic guitar really sound great.  I live in a audio black hole here in New Orleans, but Rogue was one of the few brands I was able to audition and I was impressed.  I also liked the idea of only having to ship the unit to Pennsylvania if it needs service.  It's a beast and shipping won't be cheap. This is my first foray into audio equipment since I was in college and I turn 60 in a few days. I can already see my next purchase will be a step up in speakers.  The realization is that this hobby is ever evolving and you will probably be forever researching equipment and tweaking your audio system.  Bottom line, I think you get excellent value for the money with Rogue and I don't think you will be sorry if you pull the trigger on the purchase.  Good luck and let us know what you decide.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2016, 02:02 pm »
Thanks guys for all the help. I can't wait to try the Rogue with my set of Nimbus Whites!

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2016, 02:46 pm »
It is a very good amp. Put some CBS 7318's and 10M 12AX7's in it and it gets VERY good....

sunnydaze

« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2016, 03:32 pm »
It is a very good amp. Put some CBS 7318's and 10M 12AX7's in it and it gets VERY good....

Good luck finding the CBS 7318.  Then, once located, go sell a kidney to fund them!        :lol:

rpf

« Reply #16 on: 12 Feb 2016, 02:14 am »

Good luck finding the CBS 7318.  Then, once located, go sell a kidney to fund them!        :lol:

And the other kidney will have to go for the 10M 12AX7s!!!   :roll:   :lol:

rpf

« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2016, 02:15 am »
Thanks guys for all the help. I can't wait to try the Rogue with my set of Nimbus Whites!

Good luck. Let us know your thoughts when you've had some time with it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 12 Feb 2016, 05:01 am »
Ed,  if you're interested in separates, I'm selling my Stereo Super 90 which was upgraded to Super Magnum status. You can see the details in my Audio Circle ad.

maty

« Reply #19 on: 12 Feb 2016, 08:41 am »
-> http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/cronus-magnum-ii.474257/page-2#post-13325795

I have the Cronus Magnum II after owning the Cronus Magnum I for only a few months. I was coming to tubes from the Yamaha A-S3000.

The Cronus Magnum was good but the Cronus Magnum II is better across the board. I found that they both sound better with my Yamaha NS1000's on the 4 ohm taps but there was no comparison for me. I fully intended to A/B test them and had them both on my rack. After months of listening to the Cronus Magnum, there was no comparing the two. The Cronus Magnum II has an audibly improved headphone output, improved phono stage, and the dynamics and imaging accuracy were head and shoulders above the original Cronus Magnum...