Amp suggestions for Salk HT3

kshoe

Amp suggestions for Salk HT3
« on: 18 May 2018, 12:30 pm »
You guys were correct. I need more power. I need suggestions for a good quality sound without breaking the bank. I'm guessing in the 200-300 wpc range.

gregcss

Re: Amp suggestions for Salk HT3
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2018, 12:50 pm »
What amp do you use now? How about an Odyssey amp?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2018, 01:36 pm »
Look for beefy power supplies with high current capacity more than counting watts.

Note that power being logarithmic relationship to dB's, which is one good reason for having more efficient speakers to start with.  84 dB/w/m is quite low as speaker efficiencies go (about 24 dB, or 270 watts, of gain needed to reach life like peaks in an average sized room).  A higher efficiency speaker, say 94 dB/w/m would only need 27 watts to reach the same peaks.

Dynamics improve with efficiency but so does picking up system noises.

Paul K.

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2018, 01:43 pm »
How much is "breaking the bank" for you?
Paul

You guys were correct. I need more power. I need suggestions for a good quality sound without breaking the bank. I'm guessing in the 200-300 wpc range.

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2018, 05:23 pm »
Hello kshoe,

Be sure to check out Audio by Van Alstine - Frank Van Alstine has a circle here on this forum:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=48.0

Their web site is:
https://avahifi.com/

I've owned their equipment (power amp) and have heard their equipment driving Salk HT3s which sounded very nice.
Jim Salk used (still uses?) their equipment to demonstrate his speakers.
Terrific, friendly support. Well built, reasonably priced gear which sounds very good.

dmatt

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2018, 09:17 pm »
I ran my HT3s with a McCormack DNA500.  Great match.  But that model is 14 years old and I’m not sure you could find a used one.  Great amp, though.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/mccormack/dna500.html

TJHUB

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2018, 10:48 pm »

You will want closer to 300wpc.  200wpc was not really enough for 2-channel music, and I’m not a loud listener. 

I’m now running an Ice 1200AS based amp.  With my passive preamp and DAC, I can get about 325wpc out of the amp’s 600+, and it seems plenty.  I have a Mivera Purepower SE, and think it’s absolutely fantastic in every way.  There are other manufacturers making amps from the same modules, but Mivera has the best of the best in cabling, connectors, IEC, and case work.  It’s an absolute steal IMO.

won ton on

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2018, 11:20 pm »
I'm running a Bryston 4BSST2 with my Salk ht2 tl's and am quite happy.

TJHUB

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2018, 11:33 pm »
I'm running a Bryston 4BSST2 with my Salk ht2 tl's and am quite happy.

The HT2 TL’s are much easier to drive.  Totally different issue, but a bigger Bryston should be on the list for the HT3’s.

ernest787

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2018, 12:05 am »
I have the AVA 600r for my HT3s.  It has plenty of power and sounds really good.  Definitely recommend checking it out

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2018, 12:07 am »
Really need a budget...

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2018, 12:59 am »
Really need a budget...

Agreed. Plenty of help to be had, but what do you want to spend?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2018, 03:34 am »
I have the AVA 600r for my HT3s.  It has plenty of power and sounds really good.  Definitely recommend checking it out

I have an entry level AVA amp, and it can handle anything I throw at it, including all of the speakers I've worked on for Jim.  .   And I've thrown some pretty weird stuff at it over the years. 

kshoe

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2018, 12:50 pm »
sorry for not answering sooner. my budget is around 1500-2200. Currently I'm using the Rogue stereo 90 super magnum. I see a vanalstine 600 hybrid for sale used and they only weigh 50lbs. what can be in it?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2018, 01:29 pm »
sorry for not answering sooner. my budget is around 1500-2200. Currently I'm using the Rogue stereo 90 super magnum. I see a vanalstine 600 hybrid for sale used and they only weigh 50lbs. what can be in it?

Here's a link to the 600R:  https://avahifi.com/collections/hybrid-power-amplifiers/products/fet-valve-600r-hybrid-amplifier

AVA gear offers rather old school design/build, and audiophile grade sound quality at a reasonable value.  That price seems really good and Frank Van Alstine offers excellent support of old gear (if unsure of the piece have Frank check it out first and play the seller what Frank charged). 

kshoe

« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2018, 01:51 pm »
with the vanalstine I'm not worried about power as much as I am quality of sound. compare with an upgraded McCormack for instance, or a standard McCormack 225.

Paul K.

« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2018, 01:56 pm »
Take a look at the Wyred4Sound ST500-Mk II and ST1000-Mk II.  The ST500 puts out 250 wpc/8ohm and twice that into 4 ohms, while the ST1000 doubles both of those output powers.  The ST500 list price is $1500 and that for the ST1000 is $2000.  Here's a link:
https://wyred4sound.com/products/power-amps/stereo/st-mkii-series
Paul

WGH

« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2018, 05:07 pm »
with the vanalstine I'm not worried about power as much as I am quality of sound. compare with an upgraded McCormack for instance, or a standard McCormack 225.

I have not heard the McCormack amps but I did have an enjoyable afternoon with the AVA 600R in my system driving my Salk HT2-TL speakers. My regular amp is the Van Alstine Synergy 450, since the HT2-TL is an easier load I didn't notice any difference with the power, both amps had plenty to spare. The 600R was perhaps a little more detailed, a smidge less warm but that was about it.

I mention the comparison because I have compared the Synergy 450 to a factory refurbished Krell FPB 200, an NCore NC400 (class D), an Adcom GFA5400, and an older AVA Insight Double Die 450. The Synergy 450 killed the Adcom, Insight and NCore NC400 with the NCore demo spanning a couple of months and a over a dozen audiophiles all agreeing the Synergy is better. The Krell comparison was with the Magnepan 3.7 and the Synergy 450 held it's own, I think the Krell pulled ahead because all 200 watts is class A but that amp put out a lot of heat, it was always too hot to touch. The McCormack amps are getting long in the tooth and are about the same age as the old Krell, at this point I would go for new.

A couple of week ago our audiophile group listened to the latest Mivera Purepower SE with the newest Icepower class D module - I'm keeping the Synergy, just not a class D fan.

A friend recently asked if I'm upgrading to the new Van Alstine Vision SET 400 amp but every time I listen I think 'hot damn this sounds good' (channeling my Grandfather) so I'm in no hurry, maybe AVA will have another 10% off Summer Sale (Frank are you listening?).

Quality wise Van Alstine amps are just as good or better as any reasonably priced amp. A member of our audiophile group just got a PS Audio BHK 250 ($7499) I'm interested in hearing but the price is way above my pay grade.

Wayne

bacobits1

« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2018, 05:31 pm »
What? Blasphemy , Mivera Purepower SE not better than  ice cream and women?  :o  Shame on you!  :popcorn:

Yea, I know shut up.

twitch54

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2018, 06:46 pm »

sell your Rogue 90 and buy a pair of Rogue M-180 mono blocks, loved my pair !