Triode Wire Labs at the New York Audio Show!

Triode Pete

Triode Wire Labs at the New York Audio Show!
« on: 12 Nov 2018, 03:59 pm »
Just got back from a fun and very crowded NY Audio Show in busy Manhattan!

I had a great time teaming up with fellow AC Sponsor Vinnie Rossi, featuring his ABSOLUTELY KILLER L2 DHT Preamp (with phono stage & DAC) and new L2 mono block amps!

Here's feedback from Stereophile's Herb Reichert...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/herbs-friday-nyas

Herb's Friday at the NYAS

"I was worried about Vinnie Rossi: I hadn't heard much from him since I reviewed his impressive LIO modular integrated amplifier in September 2015. I remembered thinking back then, Wow, this modular scheme is hip and keen, but maybe he should make some monoblock amplifiers—just to show a broader audiophile world what he is capable of. Well dang me if he didn't do just that and then go me one better with a tubed (300B) line stage, too. Vinnie's new (and oh so handsome) MOSFET 75W/8 ohm class-A/AB model L2 Signature monoblock amplifiers ($14,995/pair) made me grin so hard my cheeks started hurting. And what the hay…look what's sitting between them: his new modular L2 Signature Preamplifier (also $14,995). As I spied these beauties, my mind was telling me I should ask for review samples, but then I remembered, I committed to examining gear at a much lower price point. I told Vinnie how cool these things looked in the Central Park South sunlight, and I suggested I would talk to my higher ups: "Maybe JA or AD would review them?"

Now this room was sponsored by Walter Swanbon's Fidelis Music Systems, so obviously I could not determine how much Vinnie's handsome electronics were contributing to my White Album pleasures—not without considering the effects of the new German-made Palmer 2.5 turntable (Price on request), British-made Audio Origami PU-7 tonearm (Price on request), British-made 40th Anniversary Edition Harbeth 40.2s loudspeakers ($17,990/pair) on German-made TönTrager wood stands ($1695), connected with all Triode Wire Labs cables.

As my regular readers all know, I have gone on record as a fan of every non-Rossi audio product I just listed…but! What I heard today was something special. My personal taste leans toward loudspeakers that come in small boxes. But today, I was sitting less than six feet from the big Harbeth 40.2s, and they were throwing a soundstage that went through the window and over Central Park. They were transparent beyond belief. But I swear—don't laugh and kick my shin—I could gauge the volumes of the insides of their giant boxes. It felt a little like my head was too close to the two front-mounted ports.

I came back for a second listen, and—surprise, surprise: Walter had put the diminutive sealed-box P3ESRs (also 40th Anniversary Editions) on top of the 40.2s. He had them leaning slightly forward and Oh—when I say I am in love, you best believe I am in LUV. I'm sorry: I know I'm weird and old, but the sound coming out of the P3ESRs was exactly the kind of hi-fidelity sound I live for. God bless Walter, Vinnie, Alan (Shaw), and Triode Labs's Pete."

Thanks, Herb!!!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

Re: Triode Wire Labs at the New York Audio Show!
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2018, 01:26 pm »
Additional comments from Myles B. Astor, PhD from Audionirvana.

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/title-to-be-added/audio-shows/new-york-audio-show-2018/101762-new-york-audio-show-2018-pictures

Vinnie Rossi L2 Signature Monoblock amplifiers
Vinnie Rossi DHT L2 Signature preamplifier
Palmer turntable
Harbeth Monitor 40.2 speakers
Triode Wires cabling

"One of the better sounding rooms at the NY Audio show. Very easy on the ears, natural sounding coupled with a huge soundstage."

Thanks, Myles!

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2018, 03:06 pm »
Congratulations Pete and Vinnie.
NB

Joe Frances

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2018, 05:18 am »
Oh, Pete!!! I can't believe I missed the NY Audio Show.  Somehow I didn't really check my calendar, and forgot about it.  The brain just isn't working.  I am sick.  But glad you had a good show.....I was in the City on the 11th and got sidetracked with work.  Crap, if "crap" is the word I am actually looking for.  Next time.  The time just flies. 

I need to get your further advise/in put on speakers, as we have discussed before, apropos of the review above.  I wish I had been there it might have been helpful.

Triode Pete

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2018, 02:14 pm »
Oh, Pete!!! I can't believe I missed the NY Audio Show.  Somehow I didn't really check my calendar, and forgot about it.  The brain just isn't working.  I am sick.  But glad you had a good show.....I was in the City on the 11th and got sidetracked with work.  Crap, if "crap" is the word I am actually looking for.  Next time.  The time just flies. 

I need to get your further advise/in put on speakers, as we have discussed before, apropos of the review above.  I wish I had been there it might have been helpful.

Yeah, Joe, let me know!

Cheers,
Pete

Triode Pete

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2018, 02:20 pm »
Another NY Audio Show review, this time from Steve Marsh, from 6Moons...

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/nyc2018/1.html

Vinnie Rossi/Triode Wire Labs/Harbeth. The gang of Vinnie Rossi, Pete Grzybowski of Triode Wire Labs and Walt Swanbon of Fidelis Music Systems have been showing together regularly to have everything dialed in well. Vinnie showed his new L2 Signature preamplifier ($14'995, optional L2 DAC and L2 phono stage $3,495/ea.). His personal Palmer turntable did vinyl duty. Two Harbeth speaker models were on demo from importer Fidelis, the Monitor 40.2 ($17'990) and the little P3ESR ($2'890) with a Tron Trager stand ($1'695 for 40.2). Show reports often overlook cables but these guys do a good job pointing out the contributions of their favoured Triode Wire Labs which here meant Obsession NCF Statement power cords ($1'399/ea.), American speaker cables (starting at $699/pr), Spirit interconnects ($399/pr) and Discrete digital interconnect ($299). The speakers were set up in a nearfield arrangement with the center front seat about 5 feet from them. As I confided to Vinnie before, I'm not a big fan of British monitor speakers. Nothing against Harbeth but my taste and system have gravitated to what might be the polar opposite, i.e. Bastanis open baffles. Given this caveat, I must confess that their audio triumvirate really did have it all together. The system had that innate almost imperturbable tonal balance that seems to be a Harbeth trademark. My listening notes say "excellent vocals" even though I don't recall whose they were. Pete spun a Susan Tedeschi LP and another strength of the system was on display, namely full-bodied corporeal images projected well outside the speakers. From a marketing perspective, I think Vinnie's offering of a more traditional preamp and monoblock amplifiers will help attract more conventional customers.

Thanks, Steve!

Cheers,
Pete