Reference 3A de Capo i mini-review

drphoto

« on: 6 Sep 2004, 10:15 pm »
I have these on extended loan from a friend.

These are a very, very good little speaker. Anyone looking for a monitor should give these a listen.

I can't believe how big they play. I own Maggies, and most small box speakers I've tried (though better in many areas) always sound like little speakers. These don't. They just disappear and fill up the room.

They are incredibly transparent. Maybe it has something to do with that lack of a conventional crossover. But that means they are ruthlessly revealing. If I bought these I know I'd have to do some upgrades, particularly speaker wire and room treatment.

I'm not sure if I'd prefer a more 'euphonic' speaker  or something this accurate. They tend toward a bit of 'edgyness' with my setup. But I'm sure if I improved a few areas, I would love them.

I don't feel qualified to describe the sound or make any recommendations other than at least give them a demo.These are one hell of a bargain...even at the retail price. I can understand why they have legions of fans.

BTW: my setup is a Stan Warren modded Aiwa changer/MSB Dac (with Stan's propietary link)>Odyssey Tempest>Groneburg IC>Odyssey Stratos Monos>Straightwire ribbon/Kimber 8TC>speakers. I'm using a rather crappy Mirage sub. The speaks are run full range with the sub rolled in around 50hz. The room is 20'x18' and is untreated. No power conditioning, but hospital grade outlets.

brucegel

ref 3A decapo I
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2004, 06:59 am »
I saw your post and wated to reply that I have been listening to the decaps for almost 2years now and could not be more pleased.You are right in that only the finest cdp or vinyl will take the edge off the speaker but that is because it is a very clean window from 50hz up.If you can afford it the audio aero capitole is a wonderful match and has the preamp built in with way more gain than you can possibly use and the vtl tiny triodes are a sweet match.

drphoto

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2004, 07:44 pm »
After some tweaking of placement and some room treatments.....I'm really loving these speakers. These suckers will flat out rock. Now being a 7" 2 way, they're not gonna blow your hair back, but they play plenty loud without getting 'shouty' and they're very dynamic.

The thing that impresses me most is they sound good with almost all material. No having to dredge out the dianna krall crap to sound good. I spend hours last night popping in disk after disk of my old classic rock records.

Another impressive feat is the big sweetspot. No head in a vise listening here. In fact they sound pretty darn great anywhere in the room.

While I'm still considering a big line array speaker for the added 'oomph' I know I could buy these and never look back.

I think what I'd really need to get then would be better cabling. I'd love to try the Sonoran Plateau series. The owner of these speakers previously had Proac 1.5, which he let me try for a week or so. The addition of the Sonoran wire (loaned by the local distributer) transformed them from pretty good to exceptional. But the de Cappo's outclass the Proac's in nearly everyway...especially dynamics.

Also, I'd eventually replace that Mirage sub with a pair of good passive subs. I'd really like to hear what these babies could do if hi-passed by a good quality active crossover.