Name your favorite DAC.

vintage9594

Re: Name your favorite DAC.
« Reply #40 on: 12 Jan 2019, 10:44 am »
I replaced a PS Audio Directstream with a Audio Note 3.1 Signature Dac and haven’t looked back.  On both Redbook CD and USB(Converted to S/PDIF) the AN Dac was more analog sounding with more body and texture
To the music.  If I had to pick a 2nd best it would be my Levinson No. 360S....also better at Redbook than the PS Audio Directstream Dac.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2019, 04:37 pm by vintage9594 »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #41 on: 12 Jan 2019, 11:33 am »
I replaced a PS Audio Directstream with a Audio Note 3.1 Signature Dac and haven’t looked back.  On both Redbook CD and USB(Converted to S/PDIF) the AN Dac was more analog sounding with more body and texture
To the music.  If have had to pick a 2nd best it would be my Levinson No. 360S....also better at Redbook than the PS Audio Directstream Dac.

Which USB to SPDiF converter do you use? Have you tried others?

Michael

vintage9594

« Reply #42 on: 12 Jan 2019, 02:03 pm »
I use a Sonicweld Diverter 24/96....I have tried others and so far this one has been the best.  If I ever replace it it will be with the Berkeley Audio USB converter.
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2019, 12:40 pm by vintage9594 »

mresseguie

« Reply #43 on: 12 Jan 2019, 02:22 pm »
Thank you!

I hadn’t known it existed till now. Between the website and a reviewer’s impression, this appears to be one serious converter (translator).

I suspect your AN DAC may produce much the same sound that I’ve been searching for lately. I must decide whether to buy a converter in order to continue to use my Man Mini as source, or buy a streamer/server instead.  :scratch:

Michael

Markwatkiss

« Reply #44 on: 12 Jan 2019, 02:40 pm »
APL DSD DAC built by Alex Paychev.Replaced my DIRECTSTREAM.PS Audio makes superb gear but the APL is just that much better.

Markwatkiss

« Reply #45 on: 12 Jan 2019, 02:40 pm »
APL DSD DAC built by Alex Paychev.Replaced my DIRECTSTREAM.PS Audio makes superb gear but the APL is just that much better.

sonicxtc

« Reply #46 on: 13 Jan 2019, 11:38 pm »
Quote from: maplegrovemusic on 10 Jan 2019, 01:42 am
Exogal - Comet plus

+1

I'll +1 Johzel's +1

I think the Exogal Comet is a fantastic dac. In addition, it works great as a pre-amp so I can go direct from dac to amp. It has XLR and RCA outputs that work simultaneously so I can feed subwoofers direct from dac to plate amps. And, it has an excellent headphone output.

sumoking

« Reply #47 on: 13 Jan 2019, 11:51 pm »
I'll +1 Johzel's +1

I think the Exogal Comet is a fantastic dac. In addition, it works great as a pre-amp so I can go direct from dac to amp. It has XLR and RCA outputs that work simultaneously so I can feed subwoofers direct from dac to plate amps. And, it has an excellent headphone output.

I agree the Comet is a fine DAC, but get this.
I got the Digital Amplifier Company DAC DAC1 for like 900$
Vs the comet for like $3,000. It wasn’t even a contest. The DAC DAC blew me away.
Note I listened to many DACs prior to buying the Comet..
If you want to be blown away for the money and ultimately
For its musical truth cheers, try the DAC DAC.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2019, 03:21 am by sumoking »

OzarkTom

« Reply #48 on: 14 Jan 2019, 01:53 pm »
I agree the Comet is a fine DAC, but get this.
I got the Digital Amplifier Company DAC DAC1 for like 900$
Vs the comet for like $3,000. It wasn’t even a contest. The DAC DAC blew me away.
Note I listened to many DACs prior to buying the Comet..
If you want to be blown away for the money and ultimately
For its musical truth cheers, try the DAC DAC.

A lot of people here under estimates Tommy's talent. Tommy is a true audiophile that wants his equipment the best in SQ, not a me too company.

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #49 on: 14 Jan 2019, 02:23 pm »
Totaldac Twelve , I was pairing it with a Antipodes DX3 but now
I am using a Bel Canto e.One Streamer with a NAS and  HD Plex 200W LPS

sturgus

« Reply #50 on: 15 Jan 2019, 12:10 am »
I haven't looked at Dacs in years. I do mostly vinyl now, but my old Cal-Alph with Musical Concepts mods and 1960's Mullards still make me smile.

audio.bill

« Reply #51 on: 15 Jan 2019, 12:15 am »
Totaldac Twelve , I was pairing it with a Antipodes DX3 but now
I am using a Bel Canto e.One Streamer with a NAS and  HD Plex 200W LPS
Interesting, so apparently you find the BC Streamer superior to the Antipodes... Congrats on your DAC, it's one of the best out there! The BC is a recent release so I haven't heard much about it, your impressions would be most appreciated!

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #52 on: 15 Jan 2019, 12:49 am »
Mola Mola Tambaqui

If someone said to me: you can have any DAC you want, then the above would be my choice.  Mola Mola is the best I have heard with an uncanny combination of extreme resolution, accurate musical timbre, and natural sound.  As I cannot afford one, I am building a similar design, with a discrete DSD conversion engine, but I will do all the oversampling in software and just send high rate DSD to the DAC via Ethernet.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: 15 Jan 2019, 01:13 am »
If someone said to me: you can have any DAC you want, then the above would be my choice.  Mola Mola is the best I have heard with an uncanny combination of extreme resolution, accurate musical timbre, and natural sound.  As I cannot afford one, I am building a similar design, with a discrete DSD conversion engine, but I will do all the oversampling in software and just send high rate DSD to the DAC via Ethernet.
I like it.  Good Luck on your build!

mresseguie

« Reply #54 on: 15 Jan 2019, 01:14 am »
Well, I went ahead and committed to a new DAC - a SW1X DAC III STD. I've spent the last couple months researching it and chatting with two owners of the same model - one of whom owns the same D Sachs amp and preamp that I own. My new DAC will be delivered to me a few days after I return to the States in March.

I haven't yet decided if I want the black or silver front panel.  Edit: I decided on black.  :thumb:

http://sw1xad.co.uk/product/sw1x-dac-iii/
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2019, 02:37 pm by mresseguie »

sumoking

« Reply #55 on: 15 Jan 2019, 02:22 am »
A lot of people here under estimates Tommy's talent. Tommy is a true audiophile that wants his equipment the best in SQ, not a me too company.

Couldn't agree with you more... His amps replaced my 2A3 SET amps that I had custom made and it wasn't even close to my ears.  Good bye tubes and the hassles that come with owning them.  Cheers!

I just came across this review... I have the first version.  I could't agree more!!
https://theaudiobeatnik.com/something-sweet-from-the-digital-amplifier-company-reviewing-the-dac-dac-2-hs/

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #56 on: 15 Jan 2019, 02:45 am »
MSB Tech Analog DAC.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #57 on: 15 Jan 2019, 02:04 pm »
Schitt Bifrost MB.

gefski

« Reply #58 on: 15 Jan 2019, 07:26 pm »
YggyA followed by YggyB last year completely transformed my listening to thousands of Redbook files. However, this is with file delivery via Dante Ethernet, NO USB.

Dynky

« Reply #59 on: 15 Jan 2019, 07:39 pm »
YggyA followed by YggyB last year completely transformed my listening to thousands of Redbook files. However, this is with file delivery via Dante Ethernet, NO USB.
Are you referring to the Schiit Yggdrasil?
How do you feed Dante to this specific DAC?