maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
Re: Name your favorite DAC.
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jan 2019, 01:42 am »
Exogal - Comet plus

Jon L

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jan 2019, 05:11 am »
I would say the law of diminishing returns kicks like a mule around Chord Qutest DAC...

1130180821 by drjlo1, on Flickr

OzarkTom

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2019, 12:49 pm »
OK I will open up a can of worms..sort of
I have an older Benchmark DAC1 and a Schiit Bifrost Uber. But neither sound as good as my Bluesound Node 2 (internal NAD DAC) playing MQA albums.

That Bluesound peaks my interest. Can you adjust the volume from your Ipad or cell phone? A new 2i is now available and it is rated as better SQ..

Samoyed

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jan 2019, 12:56 pm »
Yes.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 10 Jan 2019, 01:22 pm »
I have an OPPO UDP 205 which is on probation until I can thoroughly and reliably integrate it in my system. Also have a Sonica which has won me over. Both sound fantastic.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #25 on: 10 Jan 2019, 02:31 pm »
That Bluesound peaks my interest. Can you adjust the volume from your Ipad or cell phone? A new 2i is now available and it is rated as better SQ..

NAD has just announced a "Node 2/i on steroids" the $1500 MSRP C658 that uses latest ESS chip, has XLR outputs, and offers Dirac DSP room correction software built-in.

OzarkTom

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jan 2019, 02:47 pm »
Yes.

Are you or gregfisk using this straight into your amp? That gets rid of one IC and the preamp.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2019, 05:26 pm by OzarkTom »

borism

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jan 2019, 03:04 pm »
I have enjoyed the Tranquility SE DAC for a number of years before changing to a Metrum Musette. I found both to be very musical with the Musette a little more refined.

johzel

« Reply #28 on: 10 Jan 2019, 03:18 pm »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #29 on: 10 Jan 2019, 03:53 pm »
I love the iFi iDSD Pro, because I find that a well executed tube output stage really helps digital sound more real.

tdangelo

« Reply #30 on: 10 Jan 2019, 04:01 pm »
i like my Waversa DAC3 MK2 with ethernet input.

JakeJ

« Reply #31 on: 10 Jan 2019, 04:04 pm »
Right now it's the DAC I'm currently using, the Musical Paradise MP-D2 with Modwright mods.

That could change because.....

There!

There just over the horizon.....

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #32 on: 10 Jan 2019, 04:30 pm »
There, just over the horizon.... :o

Just over the horizon is what has pushed me to keep searching for the next DAC to take me to the next level...to achieve an analog SQ without going the TT or reel to reel route.

I have enjoyed the Tranquility SE DAC for a number of years before changing to a Metrum Musette. I found both to be very musical with the Musette a little more refined.

Thanks for mentioning the Tranquility and NOS DACs, borism.  :thumb:

The TDA1543 DAC chip + whatever Eric paired it to in my dB Audio Labs Tranquility SE DAC opened up to me the wonderful world of NOS DAC sound. I love the music that NOS DACs deliver. This is the architecture - the sound - that I want in my system. The vast majority of the music that I listen to is Redbook CD quality. I don't need to chase after this or that DSD or MQA capable DAC. [I'm certainly not criticizing anyone for wanting/owning DSD/MQA capable DACs. I'm merely declaring my preference.]

I really like my Tranquility SE DAC - so much so that I brought it to Taiwan to listen to while I'm here. I have every intention of leaving it here to await my return next winter. Doing so means I must find a replacement for it in the States. The replacement will be another NOS DAC that I've been researching for the last few months. Before I stumbled upon the Tranquility DAC, I had thought for sure that my next DAC would be either the Denafrips Terminator or the Lampizator Atlantic. With the Tranquility, I 'graduated' to a new level of appreciation. It opened my eyes to what other NOS DACs could offer me. [I just reread the last two sentences, and decided one could misread them to think I'm claiming the Tranquility is better than the Lampi or Terminator. I am not making this claim. I never compared the Terminator to my Tranquility. I did compare my Tranquility to gregfisk's Lampi, and the Lampi won, but it costs $3000(?) more than my Tranquility.]

Thanks to all for their input. It's very informational to know what everyone likes.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #33 on: 10 Jan 2019, 06:03 pm »
I've been using a Resolution Audio Opus 21 as my dac for 6-7 years now. It's the best dac I've heard, or should say listened to closely enough to really know the sound. I doubt I'll ever replace it as long as it keeps working.

Happy to be off the marry-go-round as far as source goes.

trackball02

« Reply #34 on: 10 Jan 2019, 06:04 pm »
I've been very happy with my Crane Song Solaris.

ricmon

« Reply #35 on: 11 Jan 2019, 05:49 pm »
Really like my Jolida Fusion Tube DAC.

Ric

sailor

« Reply #36 on: 11 Jan 2019, 09:28 pm »
I know the sound you are talking about and have a soft spot for the TDA1541.  After liaising with Lukasz Fikus, before he started Lampizator as a commercial venture, on a problem I had converting an old Marantz to NOS and 'lampizing' the output stage I found myself being asked to convert friends units to tube output stage. Most Philips and Marantz units lent themselves to this mod.

This was about 8 maybe 10 years ago when he posted full details on his site. I ended up with a well modified Marantz CD85, lampized of course, which I used to proudly cart off to challenge anybody who thought they had a good chance.

Years passed and I sold most of my kit when I moved to a new country. I did some horse trading for a Bryston BDA-1 and bought an Oppo 103 for the wife which was reputed to have a really good DAC. The Oppo was OK, not terrible, not great. The Bryston was better but something was wrong. Then I realised I had trouble with the new and very popular Delta/Sigma architecture. Female vocal would usually find me hurriedly changing track and/or lowering the volume.

I needed something better and remembering the few DACs that rivaled or beat my CD85 used TDA1541/3 and their ilk. I found it in a Wadia 15 using the wonderful Burr Brown PCM63. PCM1702 is another one to look out for.

It is hard to describe the transformation that took place. Huge improvement that sounded like a very much more expensive system. Just so much more fun to listen to, more like music. Bring on those female vocals now. Try Filipa Giordano. WOW  We now spend more time grooving to music than watching TV. The Wadia is beautiful and I'm now considering lifting her skirt and inserting my hot and hard Brimar E88CC into her!

I paid about $700 for my unit. I have no idea what it would cost for a modern DAC to provide this type of ballsy glare free performance. For redbook playback only. But when I compare it to the Bryston's 24/96 or higher I wonder what all the fuss is about.

Anybody wanna buy a Bryston BDA1/BDP-1 combo?

DZetye

« Reply #37 on: 12 Jan 2019, 03:54 am »
Tried several but keep going back to my Auralic Vega

OzarkTom

« Reply #38 on: 12 Jan 2019, 05:18 am »
NAD has just announced a "Node 2/i on steroids" the $1500 MSRP C658 that uses latest ESS chip, has XLR outputs, and offers Dirac DSP room correction software built-in.

At CES, NAD showed their new M10 Masters for $2500.

https://www.cepro.com/article/2500_nad_masters_m10_brings_audiophile_performance_to_streaming_audio_marke

DavidS

« Reply #39 on: 12 Jan 2019, 07:09 am »
Have tried 6-7 dacs but nothing can touch my 7 year old Lampizator Level 3+ that Lukas personally modified about 5 years ago.  Have had a couple of Schiits, a Metrum, a Resonessence, a Benchmark - all were really good but none came close enough to stick around.  Have a new Exogel Comet + on the way, have read great stuff and a contender to take over streaming duties, wondering if this will be the one to unseat the ageing king Lampizator and relegate it to cd play with my Rega cd player.