Looking for recommendations for great sounding 300B tube amps

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
I have next to no experience with 300B amps. I'd like to begin some research into 300B amps, and figured there must be people here who can suggest this or that amp. Just for kicks, let's say my budget is as much as $6000 USD.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Michael

deadhead

I bought one from Toolshed Amps.  It started at your number but after I got done with upgrades it was closer to 10k.   It's built like a tank and the sound is glorious.

Blackmore

I just bought the Consonance Audio Ref 5.5 mk 2 special edition from Stereo Haven in Illinois. It's a bit more modest in price than your budget at $3500 and uses a parallel pair of 300B tubes for around 18 watts per channel. Besides having a remote, it has taps for 8 and 16 ohms so it's a natural for my Falcon LS3/5a and Altec Valencias.  Kinda cool piece of gear that can play with more speakers than you'd normally pair with a 300B tube.  Don Better Audio has this amp too.

Good luck with your journey into 300B-land

Rusty Jefferson

David Berning is making SET and Push/Pull bespoke 300b amplifiers to order. Trickle down technology from his 845 amplifier line. Amazing performance. Actually has full range response. Rock solid bass, extended top end and the magic midrange. Within your range. He's making one for me now.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
^ this sounds amazing!

Michael, please give Gordan and the crew at Wavelength some consideration as well...  https://www.wavelengthaudio.com/products/

-Dieter

mresseguie

I bought one from Toolshed Amps.  It started at your number but after I got done with upgrades it was closer to 10k.   It's built like a tank and the sound is glorious.

^ this sounds amazing!

Michael, please give Gordan and the crew at Wavelength some consideration as well...  https://www.wavelengthaudio.com/products/

-Dieter

I just bought the Consonance Audio Ref 5.5 mk 2 special edition from Stereo Haven in Illinois. It's a bit more modest in price than your budget at $3500 and uses a parallel pair of 300B tubes for around 18 watts per channel. Besides having a remote, it has taps for 8 and 16 ohms so it's a natural for my Falcon LS3/5a and Altec Valencias.  Kinda cool piece of gear that can play with more speakers than you'd normally pair with a 300B tube.  Don Better Audio has this amp too.

Good luck with your journey into 300B-land

David Berning is making SET and Push/Pull bespoke 300b amplifiers to order. Trickle down technology from his 845 amplifier line. Amazing performance. Actually has full range response. Rock solid bass, extended top end and the magic midrange. Within your range. He's making one for me now.

Very interesting!

I had not known about Toolshed Amps, Consonance, nor Wavelength till you guys posted your replies. Very cool stuff....I knew David Berning sells amps, but I didn't know he made 300B as well. I'll look into all of these as time permits in the next couple weeks.

I'll be at Pacific Audio Fest this weekend, and I'll keep my eyes peeled for any 300B amps there.

Michael

SET Man

Hey!

If you can swing a soldering iron, perhaps the Audio Note Interstage 300B Monoblock with C-Core output transformers kit.

Buddy

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
Hey!

If you can swing a soldering iron, perhaps the Audio Note Interstage 300B Monoblock with C-Core output transformers kit.

Buddy

Elekit also has a 300B amp kit.

mresseguie

SET man and tull skull,

Great suggestions. However, my soldering skills are not so great and I lack confidence to tackle these kits alone. I might try my hand at an entry level component, but not at this level.

TomS

Speaking of PAF, I'd chat with Dan Wright. He has an offering here in the Ambrose Ai325, somewhat above your price, but beautiful work as usual from them.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163581.0

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I dont like the 300B tube but always liked the LM and MingDa amps why the heating are AC or were some years ago.

Integrated:
http://www.mei-xing.com/english/English/cp/1_300-A.html

mresseguie

Speaking of PAF, I'd chat with Dan Wright. He has an offering here in the Ambrose Ai325, somewhat above your price, but beautiful work as usual from them.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163581.0

I'm not sure he's still offering this amp, but I've already contacted him about another of his offerings, and will visit him this weekend. Thanks for the information.

RonP

mresseguie

I dont like the 300B tube but always liked the LM and MingDa amps why the heating are AC or were some years ago.

Integrated:
http://www.mei-xing.com/english/English/cp/1_300-A.html

I'm not sure what you mean by "...why the heating are AC...". Please explain.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
AC heating delivery a wider soundstage and cheaper than DC heating at expense of some noise floor.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
If it helps, DecWare is working on a 300B

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1649817393/0

If he is not in a hurry, order now, receive the amplifier in 2 years.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

I would suggest some research on 300b filament supply ac or dc.
Designers debate which is better.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
I would suggest some research on 300b filament supply ac or dc.
Designers debate which is better.
I suspect builders will say AC heating are better cause are simpler, use less parts, but if the user have a hi sensitivity speaker he maybe prefer DC. 
Thats heating DC regulators boards also impacts negatively the sound.

morganc

The two within your price range that I've owned are the Coincident Frankensteins and the Audion Golden Dreams.  There has been a used Audion on USA Mart for a while.  It's $15k retail and now at $6k.   The Audion is more linear and has more output.  i first heard the Audion in LA at the home of a music insider who was a huge Zu fan and became hooked on its sound.  I've owned the Coincident 3 separate times.  Great Amp, just not quite enough power. 

borism

There are two additional 300B amplifiers (not yet mentioned) that I've never heard but that got good reviews and are in your price range:

Feliks Audio Arioso 300B integrated amplifier through Upscale Audio (reviewed by Steve Guttenberg),
Aric Audio Super 300 SET (reviewed by Terry London)

It's nice to have so many choices. Good Luck!