Coupling Cap Upgrade Experiences?

greg7

Coupling Cap Upgrade Experiences?
« on: 8 Jul 2022, 08:03 pm »
Controversial topic but I'll ask: In your experience, is it worth upgrading coupling caps? I'm debating this for a Bottlehead Moreplay, which sounds good built stock. But maybe we can make it a bit smoother, warmer, etc. sounding ... (?)

First question, what do orange drop caps sound like versus other caps you've compared them to?

From previous personal experience, there's a lot of expensive caps out there that aren't worth the cost or trouble (a lot of these caps are really big and heavy).

Second question: if it's worthwhile in your experience, any recommendations? Auricaps seem like a good bet for their sonics, light weight and small size, for example. I don't mind spending decent money on, say, Vcap Odams or Jupiters (which worked well for series on tweeters), but curious to know your experiences with tube coupling application
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2022, 01:29 am by greg7 »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Coupling Cap Upgrade Experiences?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2022, 08:33 pm »
Yes, copper foil caps are in another league ime.

For larger values in speaker xo's I use a decent but reasonably priced film cap + a copper foil about 10% of the value. For your tube amp power supply, replace electrolytics with Clarity TC wherever possible, the last stage of the PS filter makes a massive difference. 

Also some resistors are really bad, like Kiwame. If you see any matte green Kiwame resistors in there I'd get rid of them.

Then the IEC inlet, jacks, binding posts and wire all make a big difference too.

greg7

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2022, 08:40 pm »
what don't you like about Kiwame's out of curiousity? Not much experience with them, honestly ...

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2022, 10:05 pm »
what don't you like about Kiwame's out of curiousity? Not much experience with them, honestly ...

They're very warm and reduce resolution quite a bit, even when used in the power supply. I like Mills and Amtrans AMRG depending on use.

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2022, 10:46 pm »
Controversial topic but I'll ask: In your experience, is it worth upgrading coupling caps? I'm debating this for a Bottlehead Moreplay, which sounds good built stock. But maybe we can make it a bit smoother, warmer, etc. sounding ... (?)

From previous personal experience, there's a lot of expensive caps out there that aren't worth the cost or trouble (a lot of these caps are really big and heavy, too).

If it's worthwhile in your experience, any recommendations? Auricaps seem like a good bet for their sonics, light weight and small size, for example. I don't mind spending decent money on, say, Vcap Odams or Jupiters (which worked well for series position on tweeters), but curious to know your experiences with tube coupling applications and what you like?

Hey!

Controversial? Hell no! Not at all. Any DIYers or builders who actually listen with their ears know that caps and parts in general can make a big difference.

Anyway, yes changing coupling caps in tube amps can make a big different. Each cap even though at a same value, each have their own sonic signature. Definitely worth experiment with if you have time and budget for this.

I have gone through caps changing recently when a coupling cap in one of my SET monoblocks failed. If interesting here is link to that post..

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=166472.0

Good luck and keep us posted on your result.

Buddy

Escott1377

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2022, 11:20 pm »
I think it’s a good investment.  If nothing else, you will get options with a 2% plus / minus tolerance.

I am currently using Mundorf Supreme silver in my pre and Jupiter copper foils in my DAC.

I bought a lot of capacitors on my way to pick choices.

1 of my favorites and reasonably priced Jantzen Superior Z.

Tremendous value in my opinion and I think if you search around the web, you will read lots of positive reviews.

Good luck and have fun!

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2022, 01:55 am »
I think it’s a good investment.  If nothing else, you will get options with a 2% plus / minus tolerance.

I am currently using Mundorf Supreme silver in my pre and Jupiter copper foils in my DAC.

I bought a lot of capacitors on my way to pick choices.

1 of my favorites and reasonably priced Jantzen Superior Z.

Tremendous value in my opinion and I think if you search around the web, you will read lots of positive reviews.

Good luck and have fun!
+1

Great caps at a reasonable price.

FWIW I replaced all of the Orange Drops in my guitar amps for some big differences with Sozo.