Introduction

Jgc12

Introduction
« on: 25 May 2020, 09:10 pm »
Hi there, I’m a 57 year old professor (architecture) and have been somewhat of an ‘audiophile’ since I was a teenager- I shoveled snow and mowed lawns in order to buy a Rotel receiver, Dual turntable and set of New Advent speakers, c. 1978 (I still have them, reformed twice, new caps etc in crossover, and they still sound great). They’re now in my second stereo system, powered by an NAD 7600 integrated amp. My primary system consists of a Marantz pre-processor, second-gen Beolad 8000 speakers, B&O Beolad 3s for surrounds, a gorgeous B&O 8500 linear-tracking TT with a Soundsmith cartridge, Marantz Blu-ray, Music Hall Maverick SACD player, and a 1000watt SVS subwoofer. Covid-boredom has me getting back into my old hifi hobby. What brought me here was a google search for how to upgrade a pair of Beovox cx100 speakers that I re-foamed about 10 years ago and replaced some of the crossover components. I have a third system, NAD 3020 circa 1982 integrated amp and a pair of beolab 4000 desktop speakers. I’m very disappointed in their sound quality- I actually hope there’s something wrong with them, otherwise, they live up to the image of B&O as all about aesthetics and not sound quality. Sadly, I’m afraid my high frequency hearing is starting to deteriorate!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2020, 11:04 pm »
Welcome, seems you are the youngest member here  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2020, 01:30 am »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2020, 02:32 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC  Jgc12   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2020, 12:10 pm »
Welcome!  And thanks for the nice introduction.

I'm slightly older than you, worked with architects for 25+ years, and also a sucker for B&O aesthetics (back when they were supposed to blend into a modern decor, and not be a statement piece).  My college dorm mate owned a B&O 4000 turntable.  But discovered that they had a strong house sound of dryness and that their speakers weren't very good, again more a slave to visual aesthetics than function.  Now-a-days my tastes run towards honest, understated good sounding products from reputable companies (own a NAD M10, a compact and throughly modern "streaming amplifier"). 

And sorry to say but like most of us no doubt your high frequency hearing has suffered the ravages of age.  Aural memory, equalization to boost high frequencies, and not suffering from tinnitus are your saving graces.