M3 Turbo S On The Way...

James Edward

M3 Turbo S On The Way...
« on: 14 Jun 2018, 10:08 pm »
Just got the shipping notification- Tuesday should be the day...
I am replacing Legacy Audio Focus SE’s with the newest AMT tweeter.
I don’t know if the M3’s will be the ticket, but I had to downsize/ downweight
from the Legacy’s due to a possible move.
I’ve been to numerous shows and have always found the Spatial and Emerald Physics
rooms to be in my top 5 at shows. So here goes, and the 60 day return policy makes
them an easy choice.
I’ll be driving them with a Luxman L-590AX Mark ll, a class A solid state integrated which was
also at ease with the Legacy’s 94 dB efficiency.
More to follow...

Wind Chaser

Re: M3 Turbo S On The Way...
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2018, 12:23 am »
Remember to hit them HARD for at least 200 hours before passing judgement on them. They will transform over that period of time if you hit them HARD, because that’s what it takes to really get them to break in.

James Edward

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2018, 12:54 am »
I am looking forward to doing just that. Can’t wait.

James Edward

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2018, 07:12 pm »

Glad my amp has a mono switch. Only one M3 arrived today. I see the image is upside down too. Great day.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2018, 08:08 pm »
For some reason the site system has been posting many pictures upside down.
I don't know why, but if I'm not mistaken, AC severs are located down under...
Could it be? I don't know. Just say'n.  :lol:

And yes those are terrific speakers, especially with a decent SS amp - assuming they are broken in.
Remember, you've got to play them really loud for a few hundred hours before they break in.
No pussyfooting here, lots of power over lots of time is what it takes to get the job done.
Until then, reserve judgement. The difference before and after break in is gargantuan.

SFDude

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2018, 09:33 pm »
I hope you also received the other speaker as well.  :lol:

Enjoy them!

-dave

James Edward

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2018, 09:59 pm »
I got the ‘left’ speaker the following day.
I LOVE these things!
I’m listening to a greatest hits cd by CCR. NOT an audiophile approved band. This is a standard
issue cd, not mo-fi, etc., etc...
I had steadily gone up the chain of audio dollars, with hits and misses along the way. This is as
toe-tappin’, PRAT intense as anything I’ve had in a long time. For a reference, the previous best toe -tappin’
system was probably ten years ago, with a Juicy Music Blueberry preamp, a Moscode 402 amp, and
a CD player that may have been a Jolida. Speakers were Monitor Audio GS60’s. It almost felt like
the music was one step ahead of me...
I’ve had more audiophile approved equipment and speakers in the interim, but this is so much
more fun.
Current system: M3 Turbo S speakers, Luxman L-590AX Mk2 Integrated amp, Esoteric K07x CD player.
If nothing else, the system is simpler, BUT WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE SPEAKERS, the components
are pricier than what I had before.
It just seems to be a synergistic setup. Solid state amplification(albeit class A ) does the trick in my
house.
FWIW, I have basically plopped the M3’s down where most speakers have worked well in the past.
I don’t really do the soundstage/ imaging thing, but so far that seems pretty good too.
Thanks for reading...

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2018, 12:31 am »
FWIW, I have basically plopped the M3’s down where most speakers have worked well in the past.
I don’t really do the soundstage/ imaging thing, but so far that seems pretty good too.

Due to the brilliantly unique and deliberate design of combining controlled directivity in an open baffle point source, these speakers can image like nothing else - absolutely nothing else - regardless price. In due time, after they are broken in, I would encourage you to move them around and experiment. But that can wait, you’re happy for now and that’s all that matters.  :thumb:

James Edward

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2018, 09:37 pm »
I want to keep this alive... I still love the tonality of the M3 Turbo S, and their ability to play loudly, but I’m figuring on how to deal with a ‘chesty midrange’. Am I correct in thinking that further from the sidewalls will lessen the chestiness, but not decrease bass? In a couple of days, (going away), I’m going to post some pictures of the room for some advice. These are very much a lot of fun to listen to.
If anything, my prior speakers erred on the side of too much bass for my room, so I am well aware of all the trials and tribulations we go through.
Have a great night, and thanks for reading.
BTW, I am sure I can sneak these out another few inches out into the room. Is there a limit to how much the bass will increase versus front wall distance?

James Edward

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jul 2018, 01:17 am »
I’m still liking the M3 Turbo S a lot. I figure I’ve got about 40 hours on them, not all at loud volume. I’m not a true believer about break-in; my thought is if I don’t like a piece of equipment in the beginning, break-in is not going to change that all that much...
Having said that, I have liked these from day one. I continue to like them. If any aspect of them has ‘improved’, I would say it’s the bass. Deeper, perhaps?
I’ll say it again, tonality is paramount to me, and these have it, big time.
Tomorrow I’m off and will be putting some tasty tunes through these at 90-100 dB. And the ear police needn’t
worry, a lot of my listening is done off-axis without sitting directly in the line of fire.

rebbi

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2018, 03:29 am »
Hi, James,

Very happy to hear that you are enjoying your M3 Turbo S speaker so much. Break in is a very real phenomenon with these. At 40 hours, you’re not even close to what they can do once those driver suspensions have really loosened up. Hit them with bass-heavy music at substantial but not abusively loud volumes. They will begin to reach their potential around 100 to 150 hours of playtime, but they will continue to improve even after that. The upper end will continue to smooth out, the lower end will become more tuneful and articulate, and the soundstage will continue to expand.

Allow me to also add that the combination with the Luxman class A integrated amp should be a real winner. I have had the opportunity over the past few weeks to spend some time with the “baby brother“ of your amp: the L-550, and it’s a wonderful pairing, with great dynamics, plenty of power to spare and low end control and articulation that are quite extraordinary. Enjoy!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jul 2018, 06:27 am »
At 40 hours, you’re not even close to what they can do once those driver suspensions have really loosened up. Hit them with bass-heavy music at substantial but not abusively loud volumes.

If by abusively loud you mean clipping, I wholeheartedly agree. These speakers can play much louder than most speakers but if you shut the door and go to another part of the house, it's not so bad.

James Edward

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jul 2018, 08:26 pm »
Ok then... I’m listening to Yello’s ‘Flag’ album at a pretty great volume. Theses things don’t break a sweat, and my Luxman’s meters still have a ways to go.
For the technically inclined, I got out my trusty spl meter: c-weighted, slow response- they’re hitting 104 dB peaks with NO sound of strain. My wife is home, so I’ll leave it at that...
 I’m not your typical audiophile; I love my music, and the house is pretty much open to my living room, where the stereo resides. So most of the time, I’m not sitting in a listening chair, I’m just puttering around the house, or in the yard. Either way, so far, so good.
Great purchase. No regrets. I’m 3 for 3 now- the Luxman Integrated, the Esoteric K07x player, and now the Spatial M3’s.

James Edward

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jul 2018, 08:56 pm »
No miracles though. KC and The Sunshine Band still doesn’t sound good! I need a separate system for the thin sounding new wave 80’s bands and KC. Yes, I listen to a wide spectrum...

James Edward

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jul 2018, 09:15 pm »

This sounds good. Tape hiss and all. Drum solo kicks ass.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jul 2018, 10:18 pm »
Ok then... I’m listening to Yello’s ‘Flag’ album at a pretty great volume. Theses things don’t break a sweat, and my Luxman’s meters still have a ways to go.
For the technically inclined, I got out my trusty spl meter: c-weighted, slow response- they’re hitting 104 dB peaks with NO sound of strain.

104 db is nothing, they can play much louder than that without any strain or dynamic compression:thumb:

rebbi

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jul 2018, 11:49 am »
No miracles though. KC and The Sunshine Band still doesn’t sound good! I need a separate system for the thin sounding new wave 80’s bands and KC. Yes, I listen to a wide spectrum...

Yes, some recordings are beyond redemption. I was listening to a greatest hits CD from The Bangles a couple of days ago.  A crappy recording that still sounds like crap. Then again, sometimes I’m surprised, like listening to Jerry Raffertys LP, City to City, and Right Down The Line sounds amazing.  You never know – some of those 1980s records can sound surprisingly great through those speakers!   :)

James Edward

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2018, 10:13 pm »
Another thing I’m trying to wrap my head around about the M3’s is their ‘openness’, for lack of a better term. You would think that with a 15” woofer and coaxial tweeter something would be amiss.
Transients are there, and it seems these big woofs start and stop on a dime. To be honest, I’m glad I didn’t spring for the Turbo Master; I don’t seem to need the higher ohm version, or desire any more treble.
Listening to the Rolling Stones ‘Black and Blue’ now. Sounds great.

rebbi

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2018, 10:54 pm »
Another thing I’m trying to wrap my head around about the M3’s is their ‘openness’, for lack of a better term. You would think that with a 15” woofer and coaxial tweeter something would be amiss.
Transients are there, and it seems these big woofs start and stop on a dime. To be honest, I’m glad I didn’t spring for the Turbo Master; I don’t seem to need the higher ohm version, or desire any more treble.
Listening to the Rolling Stones ‘Black and Blue’ now. Sounds great.

They are awesome, aren’t they? I don’t know a whole lot about the technical aspects of these, but I will say Clayton knows what he’s doing. ;-)